Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shocks Already Leaking after One Year

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 01:14 PM
Tyrant32
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks Already Leaking after One Year

Bought my IS350 AWD F Sport brand new a year ago. Put my car on the lift tofay to install RSR Downs and I noticed that the drivers side front shock was leaking! I've owned the car for exactly one year.

Of course, the irony of this is that since I discovered the leak while installing my lowering springs (specifically when removing the stock strut/spring from the wheel well) the dealer will undoubtedly claim that I voiced my warranty.

What makes this even more frustrating is that this occurred exactly one week after my 10k complimentary service. The mechanic assured me that everything was perfect on the car. Any advice?
Old 09-15-17, 01:16 PM
Tyrant32
Rookie

Default Shocks Leaking after only One Year

Bought my IS350 AWD F Sport brand new a year ago. Put my car on the lift tofay to install RSR Downs and I noticed that the drivers side front shock was leaking! I've owned the car for exactly one year.

Of course, the irony of this is that since I discovered the leak while installing my lowering springs (specifically when removing the stock strut/spring from the wheel well) the dealer will undoubtedly claim that I voiced my warranty.

What makes this even more frustrating is that this occurred exactly one week after my 10k complimentary service. The mechanic assured me that everything was perfect on the car. Any advice?
Old 09-15-17, 01:26 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If you haven't put the RSR springs in yet, you can still claim the warranty.
It might be a defective shock, although really rare that this happens. At this stage, it is not noticeable that the shock has been leaking just by driving the car. I don't believe the 10k service calls for a suspension assessment, so the tech would not be looking for it and would not know. They would only be checking the brakes.
You can simply claim the discovery of the leakage when you take your wheels off.
Old 09-16-17, 01:47 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Funny, right after I read this I got paranoid and checked all four of my shocks, All seems to have very thin layer of oil evenly through out the shaft which is pretty normal. But the front driver's side had some oil build up on the bottom of where the spring seats. I did noticed the car noticeably bouncy when cornering but not all the time and only on Sport+ mode. I'm sure this is the cause.

BTW, I have 2014 IS350 F Sport Rwd with 20k miles with no mods other than RR-Racing USRS kit which shouldn't matter at all.

Now I'm debating if I should wait until the the problem worsens or have more noticeable leaks on the shocks before taking it into the dealership. As it sits, it is not very noticeable and nothing is dripping.
Old 09-18-17, 01:35 AM
Tyrant32
Rookie

Anybody know where to buy new OE shocks online? I really don't feel like removing the sprigs I just put on to make the warranty claim.
Old 09-18-17, 05:26 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyrant32
Anybody know where to buy new OE shocks online? I really don't feel like removing the sprigs I just put on to make the warranty claim.
Before you go that road. Why not just give the dealer a shot first? Can't hurt. Your already prepared to buy the shock yourself.
Old 09-18-17, 03:38 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Just came back from the dealers regarding the leaky shocks. They said they it has to leaking at a certain level (level 3 or lower) for them to replace it. Although my front driver side shocks have more oil residue compared to others it is well within the specs.

Btw the shocks are covered up to 4 year or 50k miles.