Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bizarre brake part failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 08:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

92 ft/lbs into aluminium seems pretty high. Is the coiled chunk in the picture magnetic? If so check the other holes and see if they are magnetic.

Given your location and if driven in the winter it would not surprise me if the insert stuck to the bolt during removal. This would explain why the threads in the casting look OK but are the wrong size to hold any torque as it had insert either factory or as part of a repair.
Old 09-05-17, 08:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
92 ft/lbs into aluminium seems pretty high. Is the coiled chunk in the picture magnetic? If so check the other holes and see if they are magnetic.

Given your location and if driven in the winter it would not surprise me if the insert stuck to the bolt during removal. This would explain why the threads in the casting look OK but are the wrong size to hold any torque as it had insert either factory or as part of a repair.
That's actually a good suggestion regarding the magnet. It shouldn't be magnetic if it's part of the bracket.
92 ft/lbs is the repair manual torque. The front caliper to knuckle bolt torque is 100 ft/lbs.
Old 09-05-17, 10:55 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

probbaly tons on ebay used for pennies.
Old 09-06-17, 03:39 AM
drdreydel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
That's actually a good suggestion regarding the magnet. It shouldn't be magnetic if it's part of the bracket.
92 ft/lbs is the repair manual torque. The front caliper to knuckle bolt torque is 100 ft/lbs.
Yeah, the coil is magnetic. Almost looks like the washers/brackets with fingers reaching into the opening are there to keep the coil inside. Maybe what happened is the bolt snagged on some part of the coil and pushed it out.
Old 09-06-17, 06:04 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drdreydel
Yeah, the coil is magnetic. Almost looks like the washers/brackets with fingers reaching into the opening are there to keep the coil inside. Maybe what happened is the bolt snagged on some part of the coil and pushed it out.
Is the rest of the bracket magnetic?
I spoke to my buddy at the dealer, and he confirmed the following:
  • He's never seen the threads pull out
  • The threads are cut into the bracket
  • The washer is there as a barrier for corrosion as the bracket and knuckle are dissimilar metals
  • The fingers on the washer are to hold the washer on the bracket
Old 09-06-17, 06:57 AM
drdreydel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Is the rest of the bracket magnetic?
I spoke to my buddy at the dealer, and he confirmed the following:
  • He's never seen the threads pull out
  • The threads are cut into the bracket
  • The washer is there as a barrier for corrosion as the bracket and knuckle are dissimilar metals
  • The fingers on the washer are to hold the washer on the bracket
Great info, about to tow to dealer. Service rep wants to get it done right and their Lexus rep is on-site today. Took a closer look at the other hole and I can see the same coil there. There are yellow match marks on the knuckle but none on either bolt
Old 09-07-17, 08:46 AM
drdreydel
Driver School Candidate

Great info, about to tow to dealer. Service rep wants to get it done right and their Lexus rep is on-site today. Took a closer look at the other hole and I can see the same coil there. There are yellow match marks on the knuckle but none on either bolt
Quick update. After initially just being told that the "thread was stripped and I needed a new bracket" I asked to talk with the tech directly. He had not clued into the fact that there was a helicoil in there and was pretty confused by what I described or how it had gotten there. That was followed up by a chat with the service manager who confirmed that the bolts and the bracket were "tampered with or modified" and they have never seen this failure. This of course spiraled into a back and forth about whose fault that is. Had this been discovered at the dealer vs my personal garage, there would be no warranty questions, but of course there's no way for me to prove that I didn't modify it, although I have no idea how a guy with basic tools that didn't know what a helicoil is until this thread (THANK YOU!) would actually insert one...From my perspective, the main issue now is that this is a CPO vehicle that I paid a premium for in part to get assurance that critical parts like the braking system were not "tampered with or modified." We reached an agreement that they will cover labor (and go through the other side to check for same issue) and I will cover cost of parts with some discount. Apparently the bolts are special order and will take a few days to arrive, although they had a bracket in stock.
Old 08-17-20, 06:57 PM
Wacarter
Driver School Candidate

Default 2017 IS 350 brake bracket failure ?

Here's a new one...was changing rear rotors and pads on a '14 IS350 F-Sport. Everything went smoothly until I started re-torquing the bolts holding the caliper mounting bracket (two 17mm bolts that are each torqued to 92ft lbs). Both went in just fine but one bolt ended up straight up tearing the thread out of the receiving socket well below the torque spec. See pics of carnage. Of course Lexus will not warranty this although I don't see how it wouldn't have happened in their shop. I live in New England, so I'm guessing some corrosion might be to blame, or a defective part. Curious if anyone has ever run into this, definitely a curve ball on an otherwise routine job.

stumbled upon this thread. Had my own issue today. Just purchased my IS a month ago and someone brake checked me today. Immediately felt a vibration from the front wheels and pulled over to check it out. The caliper on the right front appeared to be off then I noticed rub marks on the inside of the wheel. Took the wheel off and wallah... missing a pretty important bolt. Not sure if it sheered off from the force of a harder-than-normal braking force or if it was never installed from the previous owner replacing the rotors/pads. Regardless, I’ve been driving around with one bolt for at least 500 miles. Very scary...

Old 08-18-20, 11:17 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wacarter
stumbled upon this thread. Had my own issue today. Just purchased my IS a month ago and someone brake checked me today. Immediately felt a vibration from the front wheels and pulled over to check it out. The caliper on the right front appeared to be off then I noticed rub marks on the inside of the wheel. Took the wheel off and wallah... missing a pretty important bolt. Not sure if it sheered off from the force of a harder-than-normal braking force or if it was never installed from the previous owner replacing the rotors/pads. Regardless, I’ve been driving around with one bolt for at least 500 miles. Very scary...

Since there doesn't appear to be any signs of the bolt in the caliper, I suspect simply that someone forgot to put it back, or didn't put it back tight enough.
The torque on that bolt is around 100 ft-lbs, so once installed properly it's not going anywhere...even under the hardest braking.