Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

wow, what a difference !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-02, 08:42 AM
hhodgetts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile wow, what a difference !!

I’ve been driving my 99 GS400 for two months now. I have to say that it is one fantastic car. Every time I get to drive it, there’s a smile on my face. My favorite thing about the GS400 is the incredible acceleration. I’ve driven faster cars, but nothing with the grace and smoothness of a GS400!

The biggest weakness, however, is the handling. Don’t get me wrong, the GS400 handles very well. I have been able to keep up with M3’s and Corvette’s on curvey roads. Unlike its acceleration, when you push the handling, the GS400 (stock) does not communicate a feeling of confidence to the driver. There’s too much luxury and too little sport for my taste. Apparently many GS400 drivers agree and have changed their shock, springs, sway bars, etc to achieve better handling.

Yesterday, I installed the TRD Strut Tower Brace. What a HUGE difference. I have put strut tower braces on two other cars that I have owned: 98 M3 and 98 Maxima SE. Both times there was a noticeable improvement in handling and feel with absolutely NO harsh ride penalty. For the GS400, the difference was magnified 3-4 times. The GS400 is a much heavier vehicle than the other two and apparently the front end flexes a lot more.

It is my opinion that the Strut Tower Brace (STB) should be considered a mandatory upgrade for every GS400 owner. You don’t need to be an aggressive or fast driver to appreciate the benefits of a STB. Simply making a U-turn or 90 degree turn at 5 mph, you will notice the difference.

Now the front end of the GS400 feels solid, before it felt like a wet sponge. Body roll in curves, turns, or lane changes is significantly reduced. Now the GS400 feels like it should. Before, making a right hand 90 degree turn at 20 mph was an unpleasant experience because of body roll & flex. Today I can make the same turn at 30 mph and it’s nothing but fun!

I was preparing to upgrade my shocks & springs. It’s about a $1000 upgrade ($550 parts + 450 labor). After installing the STB ($180 parts + $0 labor, 15 min self install) I’m not sure I need to upgrade the shocks & springs. The difference was that significant.

Without a doubt, the STB is the best $200 you can spend on a Lexus. In fact, the Lexus engineers should be ashamed of themselves for not making it standard equipment on the stock GS. Lexus could have installed a STB on every GS at the factory for under $20. The car would have been that much better right from the factory. The reviewers in the press would have noticed the better handling and that would enhance the image of the GS. Perhaps they’re learning, because my 01 Highlander came with a stock STB…
Old 06-19-02, 09:04 AM
LexFather

COol dude, sounds like your really enjoying the car! I can appreciate the write-up as I have the TRD STB with the stock setup. Thanks.
Old 06-19-02, 09:08 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, awesome, so there is NO RIDE QUALITY difference whatsoever? If not, it looks like one of my next MODS.
Old 06-19-02, 09:14 AM
bschack
Driver School Candidate

Where's the best place to get one? And how difficult is it to install - especially for a person with no DIY mod experience?
Old 06-19-02, 09:18 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooo--ahhh!! That Good, huh!

Post a pic of your install, please.
Old 06-19-02, 10:56 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Hodge, I felt the same way after I installed my TRD STB. But after 2 months of driving around, I still need to upgrade a bit more.

Trust me you will upgrade after a few months of driving. I push the car harder now after the STB install and feel the need to push even further. Slowly but surely the GS is building its confidence until one day it will meet up head to head with an M5. But first, I need too equip her with all the right tools

Tein Flex coilcover on order
TRD LCB will install in coming week

Tom's 6-piece -thinking about
TRD front and rear sways -thinking about
Old 06-19-02, 12:35 PM
SpectraGS3
Driver

Will those fit on a car with Tien Flex or other coilovers? I think i read someone on here saying they had to take their bars off after upgrading to coilovers.
Old 06-19-02, 01:06 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I think that gonna be my next upgrade!!!!!
Thanks
Old 06-19-02, 02:50 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bschack
Where's the best place to get one? And how difficult is it to install - especially for a person with no DIY mod experience?
Steve Ganz of Carson Toyota is the best place to get TRD parts like the STB and L-Tuned suspension.
Old 06-19-02, 02:53 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SpectraGS3
Will those fit on a car with Tien Flex or other coilovers? I think i read someone on here saying they had to take their bars off after upgrading to coilovers.
Yes, the TRD STB and similar will work with Tein coilovers. You're thinking of the optional EDFC, which remotely adjusts the Tein stiffness, is incompatible with some STBs.
Old 06-19-02, 04:13 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Caution + Good News and more Good News

You're right Calvin. Anyone who might contemplate getting a Tein/EDFC upgrade in the future needs to choose their STB's wisely.

The Good News is that Tein has finally updated their website and if you look at the EDFC install and fitment manuals they've provided, there are now measurements and specs to find out if your STB has enough clearance and whether the existing Tein models (other than the Flex) will work with the EDFC.

In my case the RMM STB will clear.

The other good news is, I just checked if my Tein HA/RA's will work with the EDFC and I verified they will.

It appears that the same Tein models could possibly have varied slighty in design over the time that these struts have been on the market, so I think you'll have to check your particular strut with the spec to guarantee that the EDFC will work. The manual is pretty clear on how to figure this out.

Please don't go by my findings alone. You need to verify your own application.

I actually sent an e-mail to Tein to re-confirm if ALL HA & RA's will work with the EDFC on a GS or if we need to verify our set ups individually. I'll post if I hear back from them.

Anyone in for setting up a Group Buy for either Tein Flex/RA/CS/HA 's or the EDFC?

I'm sure Steve Ganz can work out another great deal.

Old 06-19-02, 07:47 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

is TRD Strut Tower Brace considers best in their class? or should we consider other brands as well?
Old 06-19-02, 07:47 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

and also where did you purchase yours?
Old 06-19-02, 07:52 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Originally posted by a1exus
is TRD Strut Tower Brace considers best in their class? or should we consider other brands as well?
I know HI98GS has the TOM's STB and he like's it a lot. As for me I like the TRD STB it just looks beefier...
Old 06-19-02, 10:11 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If we're talking strictly the capability of the STB to stiffen the front chassis, the Tom's , TRD & RMM all should do the job and in my opinion all appear to be built strong enough to handle the load placed on them. I'm not saying that they are all equal in stiffness/strength, but I'd say you couldn't tell the difference on the street and any difference on track times would probably be minimal. This is like comparing high performance tires on a track. One does a lap in 1:30.5 and another does it in 1:25.7. In the real world, how will this difference affect you and could you tell the difference?

Now if your talkin looks, that's your own choice. If you feel something looks cleaner, stronger, etc. thats fine, but don't kid yourself. Don' t get me wrong; I'm not slammin anyone's opinion, I'm just saying what you feel and what is real can be two different things.

If we wanted to know what is real, we could put these bars on a stress tester and measure their deflection and break point . Then get your friendly neighborhood Mechanical Engineer to calculate if the loads measured are great enough to withstand the force placed by the chassis under maximum cornering conditions.

Don't think it would be worth it for Ethan to do a STB shootout.

Unless you are a hard core tracker, I'd base your decision on looks or how it makes you feel if that's your thing!

Quick Reply: wow, what a difference !!