Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS-F Camber - Rear LCA Options!? Godspeed vs. Megan vs. FIGS vs. ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 10:15 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Exclamation IS-F Camber - Rear LCA Options!? Godspeed vs. Megan vs. FIGS vs. ???

After hearing back that I'm tracking my new-to-me IS-F at CoTA on 8/30 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), it's time to make sure my alignment situation is 110% figured out.

I've searched here and have read a ton (not to mention on the various manufacturers' sites) and understand the rear LCA is the best "single part" option for providing suitable rear camber adjustment.

The three options I've found in order of quality/price are as follows:

1. Godspeed rear LCA for $180. Basically a bargain Gen-1 Megan copy w/o pillow block. Poly bushing on threaded end is much more solid than stock rubber, but not quite pillow block quality: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152356772457
2. "2nd Gen" Megan rear LCA, model MRS‑LX‑0322-T2 for $285. "Curved" design accommodates more aggressive wheel/brake options. Longer threaded rod gives more range of adjustment, 3 locations each for shock/sway ends allow for fine tuning ability, and finally, "F-Sport Blue" ish color is a nice match for the F-Sport rear sway I have back there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152356772457 Also odd, their 1st gen, model MRS‑LX‑0322 is more expensive at ~$360. Even speaking with their tech staff, the 2nd gen is better in every way, and they could not explain the reason for the reduced price point.
3. "Old" FIGS option for $395... Same as Megan but adds eccentric bolt for "easy" adjustment at non-threaded end. Is this substantially easier than adjustment via threaded end? http://shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehicle/IS...A2ISSUPERSPORT
4. Latest and greatest FIGS option... $685 for a stinkin' rear LCA?! Is it 4x the quality of the Godspeed unit? I'm a registered mechanical engineer w/automotive design experience and yet don't "get it" http://shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehicle/IS...GEN2ISRACEMEGA

I'm essentially stuck between the Godspeed and $285 Megan option, unless some experts out there can make a good case for a FIGS unit other than "it's FIGS... they're the best!", or there's something else good out there I've missed. Need to pull the trigger soon to ensure I've time to get everything sorted out - your feedback is greatly appreciated!

(FWIW - I went with the Godspeed front upper LCA's. Construction is reportedly very similar in quality to other offerings for a fraction of the price... http://www.ebay.com/itm/182420009500)

Many Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by Leander311; 08-16-17 at 11:14 AM. Reason: corrected typo's...
Old 08-16-17, 02:06 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

My opinion, go with option #3, for two reasons:
1st, I have Megan toe arms and upper camber arms and I haven't been all that happy with them. The toe arms seized after two years and are now unusable. I ruined a ball joint on the upper camber arms so I contacted Megan to get a replacement. They don't sell replacements. This was before FIGS had a cheaper option and I didn't have $600 at the time so I bought another set.
2nd, the eccentric makes it MUCH easier to set the camber. Without the eccentric you have to remove the end of the arm with the adjustment, make the adjustment, replace, measure, repeat. If your alignment guy has to do that several times on each side of the car he will hate you and that will be reflected in the $200 bill.

And in reference to #4, yes I would say the high end FIGS option is 4x the quality. TIG welded and powder coated in the USA with name brand (and replaceable) hardware doesn't come cheap. Learning the lesson the hard way and replacing Chinese made parts with questionable quality isn't any cheaper though.
Old 08-17-17, 12:54 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
My opinion, go with option #3, for two reasons:
1st, I have Megan toe arms and upper camber arms and I haven't been all that happy with them. The toe arms seized after two years and are now unusable. I ruined a ball joint on the upper camber arms so I contacted Megan to get a replacement. They don't sell replacements. This was before FIGS had a cheaper option and I didn't have $600 at the time so I bought another set.
2nd, the eccentric makes it MUCH easier to set the camber. Without the eccentric you have to remove the end of the arm with the adjustment, make the adjustment, replace, measure, repeat. If your alignment guy has to do that several times on each side of the car he will hate you and that will be reflected in the $200 bill.

And in reference to #4, yes I would say the high end FIGS option is 4x the quality. TIG welded and powder coated in the USA with name brand (and replaceable) hardware doesn't come cheap. Learning the lesson the hard way and replacing Chinese made parts with questionable quality isn't any cheaper though.
Appreciate the feedback - this is exactly the kind I was looking for... I'm certainly worried about being able to service the front Godspeed UCA's w/their identical ball joint, but in speaking with a Megan tech rep, he assured me the pillow block on the LCA's are quite durable (urethane-esque hard rubber, typically far more durable than a Heim joint), and in any case the part can be replaced if necessary for <$70/pair. Regarding eccentric adjustability, I failed to mentioned I'd noticed there's a single lock nut on the threaded end of the FIGS units, but three nuts on the competitors'. Sure enough, this allows for easy adjustment on the threaded end without removal.

Agree the FIGS units are superior for several reasons, but after vetting the potential issues on the Megan option, I'm going to try them out... Fingers crossed! Thanks again.