Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Maintenance/Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 03:00 PM
Zosopage
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension Maintenance/Upgrades

Purchasing BC Racing Coilovers w/ Swift this month. The drop at max will be 1.5 inches in front and maybe 1 in the rear. I am seeing if there anything else I should look into fixing at the same time since I'll already be taking it in. Can someone give description on them and why? Anything to smooth out my ride or give better driving feel? It's for a daily driver and zero track time.

I am looking into RR Racing USRS at the moment for bushing.

2006 Lexus IS350 117K Miles
Old 08-07-17, 03:43 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

F Sport sway bars (if you can't do both, the rear is 150% stiffer than stock and greatly improves handling). Huge reduction in body roll. The RR Racing USRS I heard really enhances steering feel but I can't speak on that.
Old 08-07-17, 06:50 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i have USRS installed and its not exactly "enhances steering". it instead reduces all the little movements and quick jolts on the steering wheel when turning/braking/uneven roads. basically, it keeps your steering straight and doesnt feel wobbly and loose, like youre going to lose control and die.

the upgrade definitely gives you an immediate result. is $300 worth it? perhaps if you do something more than just driving it normally.

as for better driving feel / less body roll (your car will feel more stiff and not everybody likes that), mainly strut bars, sway bars, steering dampeners.

these type of mods will make it more uncomfortable for a daily drive, these mods are meant for fast cornering.
Old 08-07-17, 09:23 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

better driving feel... well if you want to feel what your front tires are actually doing I'd go for the 11+ ISF Steering ECU swap better feel and better on center steering I find. Plus you get a "sport" mode per say which tightens up the steering response and throttle response as well(the second I don't really feel as much). Also gives you a little less interference when detecting a wheel is airborne... I have a lot of curbs I deal with on a day to day basis and before the mod the car would cut throttle for a good 2-3 seconds before I could get back on it, wasn't the best situation when merging into traffic. Now it interferes a little bit but not too much allowing me to get back on power earlier.

Else in general I would just make sure all the suspension parts still look in good shape and maybe replace any old worn out bushings.
Old 08-08-17, 09:28 AM
Zosopage
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
better driving feel... well if you want to feel what your front tires are actually doing I'd go for the 11+ ISF Steering ECU swap better feel and better on center steering I find. Plus you get a "sport" mode per say which tightens up the steering response and throttle response as well(the second I don't really feel as much). Also gives you a little less interference when detecting a wheel is airborne... I have a lot of curbs I deal with on a day to day basis and before the mod the car would cut throttle for a good 2-3 seconds before I could get back on it, wasn't the best situation when merging into traffic. Now it interferes a little bit but not too much allowing me to get back on power earlier.

Else in general I would just make sure all the suspension parts still look in good shape and maybe replace any old worn out bushings.
There is an issue with inner tire wear. What upgrade would eliminate that? I hear it's possible the USRS.
Old 08-08-17, 09:49 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Zosopage
There is an issue with inner tire wear. What upgrade would eliminate that? I hear it's possible the USRS.
yeah the USRS would be the best for that. Camber arms could help but you'd still have the deflection under braking
Old 08-08-17, 03:36 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zosopage

a proper tire alignment