Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2014 IS250 RSR-Down

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 08:19 AM
rizzagt22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 IS250 RSR-Down

Just installed RSR-Down's on my 2014 IS250 and while driving, under heavy braking the car seems to nose-dive more so than it did before the RSR's.

Is it the effect of the negative camber on the front tires?
I've come to notice that the Lexus braking system heavily relies on the front brakes, rather than a more balanced system which I had on my Infiniti, which resulted in the car squatting under brake application.

Would the RR-Racing USRS alleviate this?

Id' prefer to spend the money on the SARD Swaybars for improved handling and reduced body roll.
Old 04-22-17, 06:30 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzagt22
Just installed RSR-Down's on my 2014 IS250 and while driving, under heavy braking the car seems to nose-dive more so than it did before the RSR's.

I've come to notice that the Lexus braking system heavily relies on the front brakes, rather than a more balanced system which I had on my Infiniti, which resulted in the car squatting under brake application.

Id' prefer to spend the money on the SARD Swaybars for improved handling and reduced body roll.
Normal, i thought this only happens to IS350 big brake lol, my 2nd gen IS350 and 3rd IS350 same thing happened.
Old 04-22-17, 06:48 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Looks like we have the same vehicle with the same springs. I've had them in now for 2 weeks and haven't noticed any difference in the braking in terms of nose driving.
Not sure how long you've had the springs in, but I'd give them sufficient time to settle before making any final judgments on performance.
I noticed after two weeks the front on mine did settle a little more...the rear pretty much dropped right away and for the most part has stayed there...which looks just perfect to me.
A week after I had the springs on I did change the wheels to 20", which I did notice the initial brake bite wasn't the same/as much, when you first hit the pedal. Took a little adjustment to my driving to compensate.
I wouldn't mind doing a 350 front brake conversion, but I would do it with the backing plates...they are pretty cheap, but you do have to remove the front hub/bearing assembly, which is why I think no one does it.
Old 04-23-17, 10:11 AM
rizzagt22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Sasnuke, I actually upgraded my front brakes to the IS350 back in March and only needed to trim a very small portion of the dust shields (isn't worth spending the extra money and time removing the wheel bearing to replace). It was an instant difference in brake bite and performance, however its been two days since installing the RSR's, and I love the look of the drop, but the brake performance (initial bite and pedal travel) has changed.
Old 04-23-17, 10:59 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Sasnuke, I actually upgraded my front brakes to the IS350 back in March and only needed to trim a very small portion of the dust shields (isn't worth spending the extra money and time removing the wheel bearing to replace). It was an instant difference in brake bite and performance, however its been two days since installing the RSR's, and I love the look of the drop, but the brake performance (initial bite and pedal travel) has changed.
Good to know. Unfortunately my OCD prevents me from trimming the dust shield...lol!!! I priced them out once upon a time and I believe they were $30-$40 each, which isn't bad at all.
I was wondering if the sensor attached to the left rear upper suspension arm may need calibrating after the vehicle has been lowered so it reads the current ride height as the actual ride height, and doesn't think the vehicle is just weighted down in the back.
I'm going to look into it any further...I don't think anyone has mentioned calibrating it, but as no warning lights are on the dash, I think we all believe it's ok....and it might be.
Old 04-24-17, 08:53 AM
rizzagt22
Driver School Candidate

Sasnuke, now that I remember my installer actually didn't need to trim the dust shield, and only needed to be slightly bent back to clear the new rotors. And by slightly, I mean you couldn't tell by looking at it.
Old 04-24-17, 04:30 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Sasnuke, now that I remember my installer actually didn't need to trim the dust shield, and only needed to be slightly bent back to clear the new rotors. And by slightly, I mean you couldn't tell by looking at it.
I've heard people usually bend them back and may need to trim a little around the caliper opening area.
The only issue i have (once again, my OCD) is that the dust shield is supposed to be bigger than the rotor to protect it from debris and water being thrown up onto the rotor from behind the wheel.
If you have to bend it back to fit the rotor, then the dust shield is either smaller or just the same size as the rotor...for me it's not offering the full protection.
I priced the dust shields out again and they are $12 each...for $12 each I literally have no reason not to change them except the hub/bearing assembly has to be removed.
If I did damage a hub/bearing assembly, then I'd definitely be crying, cause those aren't cheap.
If I could find the calipers at a reasonable cost, I'd definitely pull the trigger...the rest of the parts are peanuts in comparison.
Old 07-02-20, 05:50 PM
Bwallace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious did your RSR downs “settle” or lower after a couple weeks? Just installed my Down springs kinda wishing I went with the Super Downs.

Here’s a pic with the RSR down springs barely notice a difference compared to stock. Hoping they settle some and limbo down a little. So far ride quality is about the same with stock springs.
Old 07-02-20, 10:39 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwallace
Curious did your RSR downs “settle” or lower after a couple weeks? Just installed my Down springs kinda wishing I went with the Super Downs.

Here’s a pic with the RSR down springs barely notice a difference compared to stock. Hoping they settle some and limbo down a little. So far ride quality is about the same with stock springs.
How don’t you see the difference exactly? The massive wheel gap is gone. That’s the point of the Down springs. My only disappointment was that the rear springs dropped the car almost perfectly, but the front ones left a little gap which bugs me, but not terribly. I’m going coilovers next.
Old 07-02-20, 11:36 PM
Bwallace
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
How don’t you see the difference exactly? The massive wheel gap is gone. That’s the point of the Down springs. My only disappointment was that the rear springs dropped the car almost perfectly, but the front ones left a little gap which bugs me, but not terribly. I’m going coilovers next.
there is slight gap in the rear and bout a finger or two in the front. Knoxville roads aren’t the best especially after a winter storm so guess better safe than sorry. Happy with the ride quality just curious if you noticed anymore drop over time?
Old 07-03-20, 12:36 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwallace
there is slight gap in the rear and bout a finger or two in the front. Knoxville roads aren’t the best especially after a winter storm so guess better safe than sorry. Happy with the ride quality just curious if you noticed anymore drop over time?
You most likely should see them settle a little more. I have pretty much no gap in the rear, but the front I do for sure. The only way you’ll get the exact drop you want is with coilovers. The super downs are way too hardcore of a drop for the stock shocks imo.
Old 07-03-20, 07:16 AM
Bwallace
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flash5
You most likely should see them settle a little more. I have pretty much no gap in the rear, but the front I do for sure. The only way you’ll get the exact drop you want is with coilovers. The super downs are way too hardcore of a drop for the stock shocks imo.
Thank you! I wish I could afford coilovers lol. I went the cheapest route and from what I seen the super downs were little too aggressive. Only if they had something between the downs and super downs 😂 after a few paychecks I plan on getting the full invidia exhaust setup