Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 Brake Conversion

Old 04-25-18, 06:12 PM
Flashisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Losdavos
No spacers needed for OEM wheels. You should not need spacers for most aftermarket wheels so long as they will fit an Is350.

Dave
thank your reply
Old 05-15-18, 11:49 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are the caliper mounting brackets the same? I’m debatinf if I should purchase from Partsgeek.com or RockAuto.com
Old 05-16-18, 05:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Are the caliper mounting brackets the same? I’m debatinf if I should purchase from Partsgeek.com or RockAuto.com
The 250 front calipers are floating calipers, so they require a bracket. The 350 calipers are fixed calipers, so basically the bracket is built into them.
You can see some pics of the transformation of the 250 to 350 calipers (on an AWD): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10158779
Old 05-17-18, 10:58 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, Weird how some say mounting bracket not included. Did you change the dust shield or modified it?

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The 250 front calipers are floating calipers, so they require a bracket. The 350 calipers are fixed calipers, so basically the bracket is built into them.
You can see some pics of the transformation of the 250 to 350 calipers (on an AWD): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10158779
Old 05-18-18, 05:36 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Thanks, Weird how some say mounting bracket not included. Did you change the dust shield or modified it?
I guess you can say the mounting bracket isn't included...cause there isn't one for the 350 lol
The rear calipers on the all the 3IS's are floating calipers, so they all have brackets.
The 350 front caliper bolts directly to the steering knuckle...you can use the same bolts from the 250 that hold the bracket to the steering knuckle.

The dust shields i replaced. They were $15 each I believe, and are different if you have AWD opposed to RWD.
For AWD to replace the dust shields it's definitely more work, but it's looks so much cleaner after, and it's done right.
Not to knock or judge anyone that "modified" the shield, I just prefer it to be proper.
If you have a RWD it's much easier.
I would recommend getting two bolts that are longer than the ones that hold the wheel bearing assembly onto the knuckle, and an air hammer.
Using the two bolts installed diagonally, you carefully air hammer each one alternately, and the wheel bearing assembly will pop right out...if it was rusted in like mine...but that's due to environment mostly.
In those warmer climates, you could probably use the original bolts, just loosened 4 or 5 threads, and some love taps with a regular hammer.
The following users liked this post:
Jbreezie (03-14-19)
Old 06-11-19, 06:48 PM
Ajowhan
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I guess you can say the mounting bracket isn't included...cause there isn't one for the 350 lol
The rear calipers on the all the 3IS's are floating calipers, so they all have brackets.
The 350 front caliper bolts directly to the steering knuckle...you can use the same bolts from the 250 that hold the bracket to the steering knuckle.

The dust shields i replaced. They were $15 each I believe, and are different if you have AWD opposed to RWD.
For AWD to replace the dust shields it's definitely more work, but it's looks so much cleaner after, and it's done right.
Not to knock or judge anyone that "modified" the shield, I just prefer it to be proper.
If you have a RWD it's much easier.
I would recommend getting two bolts that are longer than the ones that hold the wheel bearing assembly onto the knuckle, and an air hammer.
Using the two bolts installed diagonally, you carefully air hammer each one alternately, and the wheel bearing assembly will pop right out...if it was rusted in like mine...but that's due to environment mostly.
In those warmer climates, you could probably use the original bolts, just loosened 4 or 5 threads, and some love taps with a regular hammer.

Hi, I am looking to do the is 350 brake conversion for my 250. In most of the post I have found, everyone seems to "modified" the dust shield. I like to do things proper myself and was wondering the parts number for the dust shield that you replaced it with?

Thank you Sasnuke
Old 06-11-19, 09:26 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ajowhan
Hi, I am looking to do the is 350 brake conversion for my 250. In most of the post I have found, everyone seems to "modified" the dust shield. I like to do things proper myself and was wondering the parts number for the dust shield that you replaced it with?

Thank you Sasnuke
Here's my complete parts list...keeping in mind my 250 is AWD:

If your 250 is a RWD, then the rotors and backing plates are different part numbers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Ajowhan (06-13-19), ChineseKFC (08-28-23)
Old 03-26-20, 07:05 PM
Danny1583
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, so I'm doing my 250 to 350 conversion tomorrow, but I was curious what did you guys do about the rear setup? did you change the calipers and rotors too? because aren't they different in size, or did you guys just paint the calipers to match your new front brakes? thanks. Im guessing ill just paint my rear calipers to match my fronts
Old 03-27-20, 05:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Danny1583
hey guys, so I'm doing my 250 to 350 conversion tomorrow, but I was curious what did you guys do about the rear setup? did you change the calipers and rotors too? because aren't they different in size, or did you guys just paint the calipers to match your new front brakes? thanks. Im guessing ill just paint my rear calipers to match my fronts
For the rears I didn't do anything...just left the 250 rear brakes.
Yes...the 350 rear brakes are bigger, but you likely won't notice the difference unless you park the two versions of the car back to back.
Also, with the rear only doing about 35% of the braking, it's not worth the hassle of swapping it as well.