Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Control Arms and Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 02:19 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Control Arms and Ball Joints

Acquiring a '02 GS300 w/75k from an elderly relative for my son. Last time the car was at Lexus dealer, they suggested ball joints and control arms. I understand ball joints are an issue with this car so replacing those doesn't surprise me. Control arms, however, do. I am active on the LS forum and it is common to replace the bushings rather than the entire control arm. Is that approach available for the GS? Also, the dealer service department has gotten very aggressive lately and I am increasingly skeptical about their recommendations.

Any suggestions regarding using an independent shop vs. the local dealer or aftermarket parts are appreciated, thank you.
Old 06-11-16, 02:52 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 366 Posts

Yeah, there are aftermarket bushings for the arms of the 2GS, and the stock bushings can be pressed out. They're not technically a serviceable part (I think?) which is why the dealer would have suggested only replacing the entire arm.
Old 06-11-16, 02:55 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I'd recommend Moog for ball joints and any other suspension parts. I did a small comparison/write up on them compared to OEM, its visually a much better part, "meaty" and more durable. I did everything up front with Moog and the outcome was phenomenal. SPC is also a common control arm.

As for bushings, many and most common use Roca bushings.

Everyone goes to RockAuto.com for everything, however, I've found better prices through AutoPartsExpress.com

As for the work, I highly recommend doing it yourself. These parts are very easy to install and can be done with simple hand tools.
Old 06-29-16, 01:11 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I'd recommend Moog for ball joints and any other suspension parts. I did a small comparison/write up on them compared to OEM, its visually a much better part, "meaty" and more durable. I did everything up front with Moog and the outcome was phenomenal. SPC is also a common control arm.

As for bushings, many and most common use Roca bushings.

Everyone goes to RockAuto.com for everything, however, I've found better prices through AutoPartsExpress.com

As for the work, I highly recommend doing it yourself. These parts are very easy to install and can be done with simple hand tools.
Sorry to hijack this thread but on the Moog ball joint, do you need to grease them? If so what did you use? I have my car on jack stands now waiting for new caster arms so I have a coupe of days before I can complete the job.
Old 06-29-16, 02:02 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kphu
Sorry to hijack this thread but on the Moog ball joint, do you need to grease them? If so what did you use? I have my car on jack stands now waiting for new caster arms so I have a coupe of days before I can complete the job.
Yes..I use the same grease gun with suspension grease that I use on all my cars.
Old 07-01-16, 05:48 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceb58
Yes..I use the same grease gun with suspension grease that I use on all my cars.
cool, thanks for the tip...not sure why but I didn't notice the grease fitting on the ball joint must be all of the different parts and stuff I've been working on. Picked up a mini 3oz grease gun at harbor freight for $10 and greased the bj and outer tie rods last night.