Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

yet another suspension and lowering thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 10:13 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yet another suspension and lowering thread

I have changed my mind just ever so slightly and think a *very* mild drop is now in my future.

My current shocks NEED replacing so I'm doing them out of necessity and since I'm going to be paying about $600 in labor for all 4 plus alignment I want to do it right the first time.

Car is a 2008 IS350 non sport package with 90K and factory springs/shocks but it does have the Luxury package and the upgraded 18" "staggered" wheels. I'm getting mega wobble when going over "rippled" streets and just feel dang near everything bc the shocks are absolutely toast.

If I wanted to get a very slight drop (no more than 1") but get as close to factory with the primary focus on COMFORT for a daily driver/won't be doing any insane corners at 90MPH what is my best choice out of:

F-SPORT (bilstein german i think) about $700

KYB GAS-A-JUST about $350

TOKICO BLUE HP about $550

KONI FSD about $800

The problem is, once I select something from the above list, I have a SPRING dilemma. I believe if I stayed with FACTORY SPRINGS I am not getting any lowering whatsoever. If I wanted a very mild drop I would need to go with TEIN H TECH or the F-SPORT BLUE LOWERING?

There are way too many shock threads ... and now I'm guilty of making another one. My fear is spending anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 on a setup and then HATING the ride. That would be a very, very bad thing.
Old 05-12-16, 10:48 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are unsure, I would recommend f sport spring and shock combo as this is what Toyota engineer tune to match perfectly with the chassis

Is there any member in your area that has a setup you can ride on?
Old 05-12-16, 01:02 PM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

I don't think any members in Arizona, no... I asked in a different thread a few weeks ago if anyone local wanted to make some money and I would happily pay for labor on shocks and nobody responded so I'm pretty sure I am the only person in Arizona who owns an IS350 =)
Old 05-12-16, 01:13 PM
strikeraj
Driver

Originally Posted by SwedeMetal
I don't think any members in Arizona, no... I asked in a different thread a few weeks ago if anyone local wanted to make some money and I would happily pay for labor on shocks and nobody responded so I'm pretty sure I am the only person in Arizona who owns an IS350 =)

How about IS250?
I know engine is different but suspension and handling should be quite similar when suspension is upgraded
Old 06-11-16, 08:40 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have changed my mind just ever so slightly and think a *very* mild drop is now in my future.

My current shocks NEED replacing so I'm doing them out of necessity and since I'm going to be paying about $600 in labor for all 4 plus alignment I want to do it right the first time.

Car is a 2008 IS350 non sport package with 90K and factory springs/shocks but it does have the Luxury package and the upgraded 18" "staggered" wheels. I'm getting mega wobble when going over "rippled" streets and just feel dang near everything bc the shocks are absolutely toast.

If I wanted to get a very slight drop (no more than 1") but get as close to factory with the primary focus on COMFORT for a daily driver/won't be doing any insane corners at 90MPH what is my best choice out of:

F-SPORT (bilstein german i think) about $700

KYB GAS-A-JUST about $350

TOKICO BLUE HP about $550

KONI FSD about $800

The problem is, once I select something from the above list, I have a SPRING dilemma. I believe if I stayed with FACTORY SPRINGS I am not getting any lowering whatsoever. If I wanted a very mild drop I would need to go with TEIN H TECH or the F-SPORT BLUE LOWERING?

There are way too many shock threads ... and now I'm guilty of making another one. My fear is spending anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 on a setup and then HATING the ride. That would be a very, very bad thing.
H&R springs Tokico shock ! why not BC Coilovers ? the cost is similar ? Coilovers always better ! you can adjust the ride height ? according to your thought i suggest you stay with OEM with Tokico shock, you'll need cambit kit when you lower a car, our lexus camber kit costs about 1000$ all around. you go search people always complaint after lower their car without camber kit
Old 06-14-16, 09:56 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Do I seriously need to cash chuckanother $1,000 on a camber kit even if I do a very MILD drop of 1" or so?

what about the KONI SPORT kit? Mild drop, does it mandate a camber?

Last thing I want to do is F my ride up.... Maybe I should not drop?
Old 06-14-16, 10:48 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol don't be afraid bro. I'd pick up a set of Megan EZs or BC Racing coilovers. You can adjust them to however you like and less labor since you don't have to remove the spring from the shock. Also is the labor+alignment itself 600? Jesus f----
Don't think you need a camber kit for being dropped an inch either.

Do it right or do it twice.
Old 06-14-16, 01:33 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by InspireME
Lol don't be afraid bro. I'd pick up a set of Megan EZs or BC Racing coilovers. You can adjust them to however you like and less labor since you don't have to remove the spring from the shock. Also is the labor+alignment itself 600? Jesus f----
Don't think you need a camber kit for being dropped an inch either.

Do it right or do it twice.
No camber kit needed for a 1 inch drop. Just make sure you do alignments.
Old 06-15-16, 10:29 AM
SwedeMetal
Rookie

Yes - LABOR ONLY is $580 to do all 4 shocks plus alignment and that is a GOOD price. I was quoted $1300 from stealer and $800 from other joints. The 2 places at $580 I know will do good work.

So in a nutshell - if I do a MILD DROP of 1" or 1.2" i do NOT NEED A CAMBER KIT? I don't want my car to drive like **** after a drop.
Old 06-15-16, 08:23 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes - LABOR ONLY is $580 to do all 4 shocks plus alignment and that is a GOOD price. I was quoted $1300 from stealer and $800 from other joints. The 2 places at $580 I know will do good work.

So in a nutshell - if I do a MILD DROP of 1" or 1.2" i do NOT NEED A CAMBER KIT? I don't want my car to drive like **** after a drop.
There is no need for a camber kit for a drop that mild (from an F-Sport spring/shock combo here on AWD).
Old 06-17-16, 07:27 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by knguyenk
There is no need for a camber kit for a drop that mild (from an F-Sport spring/shock combo here on AWD).
i dropped my Toyota Solara with 1.2" on Eibach and i did get a little bit inward tires worn out, the car shimmy and wandering at low speed, after 6 months all my new Pirelli tires ****ed, same thing with 1997 Honda Prelude 2006 Acura TL i gave TL to my sister and i got the Solara, Prelude was my 1st car. i don't know if the AWD is250 will be the same, a mechanic friend of mine told me the same thing he said if you lower with 1.2 1.3" you don't need camber kit, i'm kinda worry, he just lowered his 2009 AWD is250 with H&R 1.4 front 1.3 rear.

2 of others guys i know also has 2008 is250, he said it's kinda sloppy and he does not have camber kit on. i don't want my is250 falls like previous cars i lowered.