Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Akebono Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 06:57 PM
Avi8orco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akebono Brake question

Picked up a set of Akebono proact front and rear to get rid of the dust factories on my new 350 F and had a question for anyone that's messed with these before. Been some time since I've done a brake job and this is the first time I've worked with pads like these with the "shims" attached made with this black material. Do you install the original shims (the chrome ones already installed) directly touching these or grease them? (Grease between the pad with the black shims and the chrome shims). Grease anywhere else like the piston, etc? Thx

Old 01-23-16, 09:17 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't use grease, I just added the stainless shims on top of these and put them on. By the pads it looks like you have the is350. Enjoy the power.
Old 01-24-16, 02:07 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I'd hold off doing the rears. They hardly throw any dust compared to the fronts. I only did the fronts as well
Old 01-25-16, 08:53 AM
nulex1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Avi8orco
Picked up a set of Akebono proact front and rear to get rid of the dust factories on my new 350 F and had a question for anyone that's messed with these before. Been some time since I've done a brake job and this is the first time I've worked with pads like these with the "shims" attached made with this black material. Do you install the original shims (the chrome ones already installed) directly touching these or grease them? (Grease between the pad with the black shims and the chrome shims). Grease anywhere else like the piston, etc? Thx

When I changed my pads I didn't bother using the included shims. Just clean and re-use the original shims'.
different opinions on how people do things but you can put on back of first shim that goes on the back of pad (rubber part) and then back of shim that hits piston. make sure rubber side of shim is on back of metal pad. it should be 2 piece for the OEM metal shim.put anti-squeal lube or just brake lube don't need a lot of it just cover evenly.

also clean the anti rattle clip and metal rod/pin that holds the brake pads in. lube those pieces up as well and put back together.

Last edited by nulex1; 01-25-16 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 01:37 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't mean to hijack this thread but does anyone have the part # for IS250 front brakes for Akebono
Old 01-25-16, 02:02 PM
3isBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdotk
Don't mean to hijack this thread but does anyone have the part # for IS250 front brakes for Akebono
ACT1178 for 2014 IS250 FSport
ACT1118 for 2014 IS350 FSport

Last edited by 3isBear; 01-25-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 02:37 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3isBear
ACT1178 for 2014 IS250 FSport
ACT1118 for 2014 IS350 FSport
Thanks!
Old 01-25-16, 05:25 PM
Avi8orco
Rookie

Appreciate all the help....got them on today. This is my first Toyota product so I bought a 2 day membership in the Toyota TIS system as I wanted to make sure I had everything right. I also wanted to look up a few other things for other maintenance down the road. Torque specs, etc. Lots of good info on there for $15.

The Akebonos are great if anyone is considering them. Installed them using the factory shims (only have 600 miles on them) and they have that rubbery backing on them like the shims that come with the Akebonos. They made a few noises the first two times I stepped on the brake but that was it, they are totally silent after that without using any grease or anything. The TIS says not to use any grease, just the shims. The ones that came off had no grease either on the pads or the shims so I just went with that.

All in all very comparable to the stock feel and braking (this is an F sport 350). Just zero noise and I'll see how they do with the dust when I wash the car and the wheels. Anything has to be better than the stock pads with the dust though. Tired of cleaning the rims every other day.
Old 01-26-16, 08:01 AM
nulex1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Avi8orco
Appreciate all the help....got them on today. This is my first Toyota product so I bought a 2 day membership in the Toyota TIS system as I wanted to make sure I had everything right. I also wanted to look up a few other things for other maintenance down the road. Torque specs, etc. Lots of good info on there for $15.

The Akebonos are great if anyone is considering them. Installed them using the factory shims (only have 600 miles on them) and they have that rubbery backing on them like the shims that come with the Akebonos. They made a few noises the first two times I stepped on the brake but that was it, they are totally silent after that without using any grease or anything. The TIS says not to use any grease, just the shims. The ones that came off had no grease either on the pads or the shims so I just went with that.

All in all very comparable to the stock feel and braking (this is an F sport 350). Just zero noise and I'll see how they do with the dust when I wash the car and the wheels. Anything has to be better than the stock pads with the dust though. Tired of cleaning the rims every other day.
Nice congrats!!! as long as it feels better and no dust that the main part. If your brakes are fairly new or new car still then the lube probably isn't required..I lube mine how I described it I saw rust and corrosion that is why...doesn't hurt to lube it will prevent future squealing and prevent parts from seizing LOL