Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 07:32 PM
Raycow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my car

Hey guys,

It was great to get feedback from you guys about exhaust suggestions but now I am in a new problem. I want to lower my car but I dont know what brand or system to go with. Coilovers or springs or airbags? Can some people link me to good lowering springs or coilovers? What is the difference? Thanks!
Old 01-06-16, 02:36 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Raycow
Hey guys,

It was great to get feedback from you guys about exhaust suggestions but now I am in a new problem. I want to lower my car but I dont know what brand or system to go with. Coilovers or springs or airbags? Can some people link me to good lowering springs or coilovers? What is the difference? Thanks!
it all depends on your budget. not familiar with what options are available for the 3IS systems but I can tell you the basics of each

<b>springs</b>:
cheapest option
one set height and non adjustable
will need shocks and I think you CAN use your OEM ones but not sure if you want to especially if the car is old.
ranges anywhere from a couple hundred to $1,000? (maybe less than $1,000)

<b>coils</b>:
average? option
adjustable height - great if you like to go lower & lower
adjustable dampening - you can set how soft or stiff you want your ride to be.
cheapest coils I've seen for 2IS are ~$600 and they can go up to $2,000 if you want the good stuff (KW's, etc) not sure about the 3IS

<b>air</b>:
most expensive option
"press a button and the car goes down&up" sounds simple, yes, but there's a lot of parts you need to get.
I would suggest reading this if you are serious about getting air: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...on-thread.html a little outdated but a LOT of good information. I read that about 3 or 4 times before I was ready to purchase air

a LOT of options for this:
- pressure management, height management, or pressure & height?
- size of your air tank?
- soft lines? 1/4th or 3/8th line? hard lines?
- 1 air compressor? 2?
- etc.

some companies sell full kits so there will be less hassle but I don't have to tell you how rewarding a custom build looks.
you can usually find some sets on here for cheap but usually will run you anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000.
on top of this, you don't want to skimp out on the install or you might run into problems down the road (torn lines, blown bags, etc.)
you want a quality install and some shops charge anywhere from $1,000 to $1,800 depending on what system you have.

as for links, I'm sure there are already plenty of threads on "which coilovers/springs are better" so start by figuring out your budget. from there, decide what you really want in suspension.