Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Square Set-up Lowered on RSR SuperDowns

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 07:55 AM
Maveri9720
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Square Set-up Lowered on RSR SuperDowns

Hey all,

I'd like to go to a square set-up with my rims, so I can at least rotate my tires front to back. My thinking going foward is when I buy my next set of tires to buy a set of non-directionals, so I can do normal tire rotations to extend tire life. I have a 2015 IS250 RWD F-Sport lowered on RSR Superdowns. For now, I'm thinking of buying 2 rear rims (8.5) and using them to replace my current front rims (8) and have 8.5's all around. Does anyone see any issues with this? Possible rubbing?

Another option would be to do the opposite and buy front rims (8) and replace the rear rims (8.5) and have 8's all around and I'd know for sure that I wouldn't have any rubbing issues, plus I could probably find those rims cheaper than the 8.5 rear rims.

Last and most expensive option would be to buy an aftermarket set of rims, all the same size, but then I'd have to buy a new set of tires to go with it.

Thanks for the help,

Mitch
Old 01-05-16, 05:52 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 824 Likes on 403 Posts

IIRC, the rears wheels (8.5 +50) won't fit without spacers up front. But the front ones will fit fine in the rear.

But IMHO, buying 2 OEM wheels will cost the same as 4 aftermarket ones so you might be better off with some changes!
Old 01-07-16, 08:51 AM
Maveri9720
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Answer
IIRC, the rears wheels (8.5 +50) won't fit without spacers up front. But the front ones will fit fine in the rear.

But IMHO, buying 2 OEM wheels will cost the same as 4 aftermarket ones so you might be better off with some changes!
Thank you for your response. As far as I know, the front rims are 8" wide with a 45mm offset and the rear rims are 8.5" wide with a 50mm offset. As I understand it, the smaller the offset, the closer the center line of the rim is to the car and brake caliper and the larger the offset the further the center line of the rim is to the car and closer to the outer fender. So if you go too small, the rim hits the brake caliper and if you go too big, the rim hits the outer fender.

Based on this, if I put the rear wheels on the front, I'd have to worry about the rim hitting the outer fender and if I put the front wheels on the rear, I'd have to worry about the rim hitting the brake caliper. I haven't tried it yet though nor do I know how much room there is to play with or how tight the tolerance is in the front or rear to even know if there would be a problem.
Old 01-07-16, 09:55 AM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maveri9720
Thank you for your response. As far as I know, the front rims are 8" wide with a 45mm offset and the rear rims are 8.5" wide with a 50mm offset. As I understand it, the smaller the offset, the closer the center line of the rim is to the car and brake caliper and the larger the offset the further the center line of the rim is to the car and closer to the outer fender. So if you go too small, the rim hits the brake caliper and if you go too big, the rim hits the outer fender.

Based on this, if I put the rear wheels on the front, I'd have to worry about the rim hitting the outer fender and if I put the front wheels on the rear, I'd have to worry about the rim hitting the brake caliper. I haven't tried it yet though nor do I know how much room there is to play with or how tight the tolerance is in the front or rear to even know if there would be a problem.
Actually, no. The lower the offset, the more the wheel will stick out. Check out willtheyfit.com, it will help you understand. But basically, OEM wheels are using different offsets so that they actually stick out the same as they are different width. I'm pretty positive that the rear wheel won't clear the brakes up front.
Old 01-08-16, 04:46 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have rear wheels up front on my 2009 IS and they clear the brakes by ~8mm. no issues what so ever. I doubt the 3is will be any different.
Old 01-08-16, 04:49 PM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_1GO
I have rear wheels up front on my 2009 IS and they clear the brakes by ~8mm. no issues what so ever. I doubt the 3is will be any different.
As far as I know, 3is front calipers are way bigger than the ones on the 2is (speaking for the 350 here). On a 250, you are right, rear wheel should fit up front.
Old 01-08-16, 04:51 PM
Answer
Instructor

I was under the impression the OP had a 350 which he does not, so yes, he should be OK. Still, 4 aftermarket wheels might be cheaper than 2 OEMs.