Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pad clips & boots covering sliding pins on front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 02:38 AM
Rdy4Launch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad clips & boots covering sliding pins on front brakes

Does the 15th photo in the following thread accurately show the pads? Are there really only the spring loaded clips on the one side of the pads? On the driver's side pads, there is one of these spring loaded clips that has broken, and one is missing from the passenger side. The new pads did not come with any. Is this easily purchased at the dealership? Anyone have an Amazon source for them, or more accurately describe what the actual part is?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nt-brakes.html

Next, the rubber boots covering the sliding pins -- how are those removed from the calipers? Can they be removed? If I had one that was torn, then would I have to replace that whole caliper piece? I don't have any torn, but I'd like to remove them to clean out the grease on the inside.
Old 08-19-15, 01:33 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Though those metal shims are useful, they're not 100% necessary. Many use pads now with an integrated shim built into the pad, so these additional metal shims aren't necessary. I re-use mine, no matter though. And yes, you can get them anywhere really.

You pull the seal out and press in the new one. There was a factory recall a while back for which these seal were to be replaced. Mine were according to the owner's maintenance history; however, that didn't prevent my rear calipers from seizing up to the point where I needed to replace both.
Old 08-19-15, 01:56 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Gville350 mentioned, the old hardware can be reused. You can buy the hardware separately at your local dealership; to save time and shipping cost. Some aftermarket pads do come with the hardware so that you can discard the old. The sensors only come on one side per wheel. Hope this was helpful and cleared things up for you.
Old 08-19-15, 02:19 PM
Rdy4Launch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cquence
As Gville350 mentioned, the old hardware can be reused. You can buy the hardware separately at your local dealership; to save time and shipping cost. Some aftermarket pads do come with the hardware so that you can discard the old. The sensors only come on one side per wheel. Hope this was helpful and cleared things up for you.
When you say sensor, do you mean the spring loaded clip? The picture below is the spring loaded clip that I have and am referring to. Also, when you say they only come on one side, you mean, inboard and outboard for both passenger and driver sides, but they aren't on the bottom (bottom position being the end of the pad when looking at it in the mounted position in the caliper)? Is that correct?

Old 08-19-15, 02:57 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the sensor as in the metal clipping. They are located only on the outer pad on each wheel. In the perfect situation, you can go with just one sensor. Where the sensor is located depends on type of pad, they generally follow OEM specs, and so from the picture the sensor location is correct.