Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-tuned suspension rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 04:17 PM
jamecl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-tuned suspension rattle

I've started to hear a rattle coming from the front right suspension. This started happening about a year after the suspension was installed. I did not have it installed at the dealer. I took it to the dealer today and they said the springs are rubbing on something and they can fix it by installing some kind of urethane something or other. Of course, they won't do it under warranty because I didn't have it installed by them. Anyway, has anybody else had similar issues? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-03, 06:38 PM
duster
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine rattling too

My L-tuned has been rattling too. It is intermitent though which is really wierd. Sometimes quiet as a mouse and sometimes not. I had the sway bar bolts tightened, but no difference.

Got my updated tailights today from Angel/Steve....can't wait to put them on.
Old 04-03-03, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

When I got a rattle not too long ago, it turned out to be this box that the sway attaches to that was loose, not the sway attachment. The box is screwed into the chassis somehow with bolts. VVT-i fixed it for me. I think to see these boxes you have to take the bottom plastic engine cover off.
Old 04-04-03, 12:56 PM
jamecl
Driver School Candidate

The dealer said something about wrapping the spring coils with rubber. They thought the coils were rubbing together and causing the rattling noise, but I think the guy is nuts. I can't imagine that the coil is compressed enough so that the coils rub.
Old 04-04-03, 08:38 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that same problem with my L-Tuned suspension not too long ago. Of course, every time I took my car into the shop, the noise would go away. Finally, I left my car with the dealership for a day and they eventually were able to replicate the problem. They ended up replacing one of the springs and I have not heard the noise since.
Old 04-05-03, 10:08 PM
LexFather

Glad to have seen this as I now have a rattle in my front drivers side. It sounds as if something is loose. Bit, thanks for the advice. I have L-tuned shocks and Espelir springs though, not totally L-tuned.
Old 04-06-03, 11:44 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I have an intermittent rattle in the front right suspension (and I don't have the L-tuned). Most noticeable when car is cold and going over bumps. A friend of mine knows a Toyota engineer and his comment on this was
"There is a possibility that the coil spring is moving around. There is a bulletin on placement of the insulator if that is the case".

The fact that he knew about this issue/bulletin makes me think that it is a known issue.

Doug