Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

No more L Tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 05:51 PM
jpganman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No more L Tuned?

Had my GS430 for 4 months, had a MB 400E prior to that and the GS just doesn't give me enough road feedback and handling. Read a bunch of threads about guys having L Tuned package so I went to Lexus and asked how much, they said "no more L Tuned" from Lexus - told me to go to a local shop for help.

What was typically included in L Tuned and should I just go with stiffer shock/struts and/or does the sway bar make a huge difference? Some say the lowering makes an impact in aesthetics but not that much in handling...thoughts?
Old 09-26-07, 06:18 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

l-tuned is a reallly soft suspension really no point if you are gonna be doing suspension you might as well go for something that gives you better handling. the L-tuned package is basically rebranded Kyb shock and lowering springs. IMHO you can do better than that for cheaper than going for an l-tuned setup. There are multiple threads on the subject. What are you looking for better handling? A drop? Coilovers? Air?
Old 09-26-07, 06:29 PM
jpganman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

handling and road feeback
Old 09-26-07, 06:49 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

many members have gone with teins but you are looking at about $1000 or a little more depending on which you select. but teins are coilovers and they will give you adjustibility. Whereas if you dont want coilovers you could go with bilstein shocks your choice of springs. Feedback is a little difficult with the gs the only way that I have seen people modifiy the feedback was by installing the l-tuned steering ecu but the effect is minimal. Also another suggestion would be sway bars. Most people use the TRDs they are soild bars and significantly thicker versus stock they really help with the cornering of the car.
Old 09-26-07, 07:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You wont get the road feedback with the GS, sorry

You can make the GS handle well (for what it is), but it will never have the same feedback of a mercedes or a bmw.
Old 09-26-07, 08:42 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
You wont get the road feedback with the GS, sorry

You can make the GS handle well (for what it is), but it will never have the same feedback of a mercedes or a bmw.
The GS sedan wont handle as well as a sports car. Its just really heavy.
Old 09-29-07, 05:18 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
The GS sedan wont handle as well as a sports car. Its just really heavy.
I have almost every susupension upgrade possible for my car. Tein Flex Coilovers, EDFC, front strut bar, front under chassis brace, rear lower chassis brace, rear 6-link kit, TRD sway bars, and rear strut bar eventually.

Also, do some good weight reduction and you can make it handle much much better. I completely stripped the car out one time I hit the race course. Everything in the trunk gone(subs, amps, amp rack, etc), spare tire, whole exhaust system removed, rear seats gone, passenger seat gone, and a few small things here and there. I'll tell you though...it made a significant difference in handling with all that stuff out of the car lol

And no I won't ever do that again...It's just too much damn work. The most I'll do now is to strip out the trunk for the race course. One problem is the steering on this car is just not very responsive. I'm planning to retrofit a BMW steering rack into my car in the future
Old 09-29-07, 05:24 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I'm planning to retrofit a BMW steering rack into my car in the future
That's going to be the death of your car Jeff, it's going to be like mixing different blood types lol. I think with all you've put into your car you could have probably bought an M5 and called it a day lol.
Old 09-29-07, 10:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

After all the researching, part of what makes the BMW steer so well is the balanced chassis. That's something the GS doesn't have, regardless of what braces we put on. Second of all, the steering rack is one part of the solution. In BMWs, the steering rack actually sits in front of the wheels. This puts the tie rods in front of the control arm so when you turn, there will be force acting on the rods, which eventually moves to the front steering wheel. You can break down the BMW steering into many categories. The way that our cars are designed, we will never come close to having that kind of feedback.
Old 09-29-07, 11:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jpganman
Had my GS430 for 4 months, had a MB 400E prior to that and the GS just doesn't give me enough road feedback and handling. Read a bunch of threads about guys having L Tuned package so I went to Lexus and asked how much, they said "no more L Tuned" from Lexus - told me to go to a local shop for help.

What was typically included in L Tuned and should I just go with stiffer shock/struts and/or does the sway bar make a huge difference? Some say the lowering makes an impact in aesthetics but not that much in handling...thoughts?
Welcome, check out your local GA club www.seloc.net I have L-tuned exhaust and side skirts.

You can search as well, here is all u need to know.
http://www.lexus.com/about/news/arti...0000809_1.html
Old 09-29-07, 11:17 AM
LexFather

After all the researching, part of what makes the BMW steer so well is the balanced chassis. That's something the GS doesn't have, regardless of what braces we put on. Second of all, the steering rack is one part of the solution. In BMWs, the steering rack actually sits in front of the wheels. This puts the tie rods in front of the control arm so when you turn, there will be force acting on the rods, which eventually moves to the front steering wheel. You can break down the BMW steering into many categories. The way that our cars are designed, we will never come close to having that kind of feedback.
I agree with the feedback but disagree with the handling. A GS can easily outhandle or be toe to toe with a BMW 5 modded. I've driven both back to back, stock and modded and myself and the BMW owner(s) agree the GS handles just as good if not better modded but the steering is still light.

Seriously, to make the GS handle better than a stock 5, you just need TRD sways and a drop. Everything else just tightens things up even more.
Old 09-29-07, 11:21 AM
LexFather

Also..
Initially the L-tuned package was going to include/add the TRD sways. Not sure why they didn't when L-tuned came out. SO to me, with just shocks/springs and the steering ECU, its not near enough to make it handle "better". It does look better.

Old 09-29-07, 12:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Never said the GS wont handle as well as a stock 5-series. In fact, the only real advantage I see with the BMW is the feedback and handling when comparing stock to stock. After modding the GS, it will outhandle the 5-series stock. Its just too bad we dont have that kind of feedback
Old 09-29-07, 01:43 PM
LexFather

Never said the GS wont handle as well as a stock 5-series. In fact, the only real advantage I see with the BMW is the feedback and handling when comparing stock to stock. After modding the GS, it will outhandle the 5-series stock. Its just too bad we dont have that kind of feedback
I agree with you 100%