Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RSR Half downs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 11:12 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Sorry should correct that, meant that the RSR Downs do not drop as much in the front on the AWD 350s as the RWDs, skewing the way it sits. The numbers from Tanabe are likewise, and they believe it's because the AWD has shorter range of movement shocks in the front. The Supers look fairly even but I don't want that much drop and no, I haven't seen an AWD 350 with Halfs anywhere. If so then it would certainly resolve the question. The Ark springs are likewise not AWD-certified but look perfect on the AWD 250 (see: YoungRider). Need someone who can do it themselves or doesn't mind spending on the labour to try it out. You are hereby knighted, good sir
Got it, makes much more sense. Yeah, I asked YoungRider too, confirmed, but I wonder if the 250 AWD would make a difference, I have the 300 AWD, so same weight up front as the 350 AWD. i'm not sure how that would impact it, otherwise I might try out the Ark springs. I don't want supers either, not sure I want to commit to coils, just want a mild drop that improves the rake. I'm also tempted by the half downs since that's more in line with what drop I want, even the Arks are a hair beyond where I want to be, although doable.
Old 01-02-19, 11:21 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffhokie
Got it, makes much more sense. Yeah, I asked YoungRider too, confirmed, but I wonder if the 250 AWD would make a difference, I have the 300 AWD, so same weight up front as the 350 AWD. i'm not sure how that would impact it, otherwise I might try out the Ark springs. I don't want supers either, not sure I want to commit to coils, just want a mild drop that improves the rake. I'm also tempted by the half downs since that's more in line with what drop I want, even the Arks are a hair beyond where I want to be, although doable.
Yup, it's perplexing that the AWD 250 seems to drop more in the front when the 300/350 weighs more, but as mentioned Tanabe figures it's because of the different shocks. Then again, shouldn't the AWDs all have the same mounting? Perhaps not with the 250.

Sounds like we're in the same boat -- just want a bit of a drop, to even out the stance. The Tanabes, Arks, and maybe even Swifts might be more of a drop than I'd like, but it would really be helpful to see them actually installed on a comparable car.
Old 01-06-19, 09:42 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Couple of updates:

- Godspeed says their springs will work on AWD. Could not confirm drop, suspected .2" difference.
- Swift says "many" have been installed on AWD but they haven't had any feedback to confirm the results.
Old 01-22-19, 06:44 AM
Volcom
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock vs RSR Half Down

Old 01-22-19, 06:51 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Originally Posted by Volcom
Stock vs RSR Half Down

Perfect drop IMO. I'm assuming you're RWD?
Old 01-22-19, 06:52 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Did you measure the before/after front/rear change?
Old 01-22-19, 07:01 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Couple of updates:

- Godspeed says their springs will work on AWD. Could not confirm drop, suspected .2" difference.
- Swift says "many" have been installed on AWD but they haven't had any feedback to confirm the results.
Interesting about Godspeed, although not sure I'm too interested in their springs since they list the drop as 1" front and back, so not getting rid of that raked look I'm trying to avoid.

I'm currently casually interested in being a guinea pig for the half downs on AWD, or not risking it, spending a LOT more and just getting the sports-i coilovers.
Old 01-22-19, 07:15 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Interesting about Godspeed, although not sure I'm too interested in their springs since they list the drop as 1" front and back, so not getting rid of that raked look I'm trying to avoid.

I'm currently casually interested in being a guinea pig for the half downs on AWD, or not risking it, spending a LOT more and just getting the sports-i coilovers.
I haven't found any reviews or feedback on Godspeed either. Btw, someone is selling a set of Swifts in the Marketplace.

Regarding Halfs, there is a 3xx AWD here that has put them on:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9594055

As expected, slight drop overall, less up front than with RWD. As for guinea pigs, I have taken the plunge. Santorini did front Supers and rear Downs, and it came out very well. I just bought his front Downs and am looking for rear Halfs, and should get the same effect according to pics of AWDs with those on them. If I cannot find just rear Halfs then I will buy a full set and sell the fronts. Would expect/hope that someone will want to just even-out the stance with a small drop on the front instead of doing an all-round lowering.
The following users liked this post:
cliffhokie (01-22-19)
Old 01-22-19, 07:39 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

I haven't found any reviews or feedback on Godspeed either. Btw, someone is selling a set of Swifts in the Marketplace.

Regarding Halfs, there is a 3xx AWD here that has put them on:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9594055

As expected, slight drop overall, less up front than with RWD. As for guinea pigs, I have taken the plunge. Santorini did front Supers and rear Downs, and it came out very well. I just bought his front Downs and am looking for rear Halfs, and should get the same effect according to pics of AWDs with those on them. If I cannot find just rear Halfs then I will buy a full set and sell the fronts. Would expect/hope that someone will want to just even-out the stance with a small drop on the front instead of doing an all-round lowering.
Interesting, didn't see either of those, thanks for linking the half downs. Link to Santorini?
When do you plan on doing the hybrid? I might follow suit.
I wonder if stock rear and half rsr in the front would ride funny because of different spring rates not being matched well.
Old 01-22-19, 07:49 AM
Volcom
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes,
rear 26 1/2 to 25 3/4
Front 26 5/8 to 25 7/8

Measure from same garage and spot,
Old 01-22-19, 07:59 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Interesting, didn't see either of those, thanks for linking the half downs. Link to Santorini?
When do you plan on doing the hybrid? I might follow suit.
I wonder if stock rear and half rsr in the front would ride funny because of different spring rates not being matched well.
Here's his ride -- sits perfectly!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10352904

Problem of course is it requires we buy two sets of springs, and even if we find used ones separately the shipping isn't cheap -- cost us about $40 to ship just the one pair cross-country (NJ to WA). Regarding only changing out the fronts, SoCalISF did just that, although it's on an ISF:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9817686

Like with Santorini he stated no problems. Would expect the Swifts to drop more than the Halfs, even on the 3xx AWD, and front-Halfs/rear-OEM should at least be closer to if not even, plus the fact the Halfs are closer to OEM than all the others. I would have tried it but want a bit more overall drop, but if you're at all interested in doing it maybe we can work out a split-shipment with Meraki Josh or someone. As mentioned, I'll have the Downs this week and am just shopping for the Halfs.

Last edited by AtomicAWD; 01-22-19 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 08:04 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Volcom
Yes,
rear 26 1/2 to 25 3/4
Front 26 5/8 to 25 7/8

Measure from same garage and spot,
Thanks, so 3/4" drop on both front and rear. Would expect a bit less for the 3xx AWD up front.
Old 01-23-19, 07:09 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

Thanks, so 3/4" drop on both front and rear. Would expect a bit less for the 3xx AWD up front.
What do you think half downs in the front would be on 3xx AWD? 1/2 inch?
Old 01-23-19, 07:45 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

What do you think half downs in the front would be on 3xx AWD? 1/2 inch?
I linked to pics of one in post #53 above.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...is350-awd.html
Old 01-23-19, 07:48 AM
cliffhokie
Driver

I linked to pics of one in post #53 above.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...is350-awd.html
Thanks, yeah, I saw that. It's hard to tell from the pictures he posted, but looks barely noticeable of a drop in the front from that angle (could be the angle), especially without a before/after side shot.

Quick Reply: RSR Half downs