Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension advice please

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 08:20 PM
Rickbean
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension advice please

So I got my 95 sc300 about 3 months ago and I have been going through it system by system and fixing what needs fixing. Up for repair now is the suspension system and I must say this car needs it bad! Now I will preface this by saying I am a novice when it comes to the suspension. I mean I'm not a complete retard (close) I know what coilovers,struts,etc are but that's as far as I go,so any knowledge will be appreciated. Anyway I can feel every freakin bump I hit and I would almost swear that when I drive the car for a long time and get out it sits lower. Now I don't race this car or anything so I don't need top of the line stuff but on the same token I don't want crap either so a happy medium is what I want. I was looking at struts/shocks that were like 80 a pop they were tokico brand is this good?anyway to get to the point of this post I just need some advice/ recommendations on what I should replace and what brand. Btw the car has 216,xxx and the oil was about the only thing kept up on this car.thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-24-14, 09:00 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need to inspect the bushings on the front lower control arms. If they've never been replaced then add that to your list. Inspect the rack and pinion bushings. If your steering wobbles over bumps then add those to your list.
Next you'll need to decide your goal, nice Lexus ride or looks of the car, and how much are you willing to spend? You want it lowered, do you want aftermarket wheels, etc... There are a lot of coilover fanboys that will suggest that's what you need to get. If you go that route expect a super hard ride. There are a few spring/strut options that can give a firm to hard ride. If you stay with springs though replacing the strut mounts is a must.
You mentioned it seems lower after driving a while. Is it sagging in the rear? If so buying brand new springs from Lexus or new TT springs from Toyota is not as expensive as you'd think.
Good luck on the continued freshening up of your car. That 2J has many, many more miles left on it.
Old 12-29-14, 05:48 PM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by gtsfire
You'll need to inspect the bushings on the front lower control arms. If they've never been replaced then add that to your list. Inspect the rack and pinion bushings. If your steering wobbles over bumps then add those to your list.
Next you'll need to decide your goal, nice Lexus ride or looks of the car, and how much are you willing to spend? You want it lowered, do you want aftermarket wheels, etc... There are a lot of coilover fanboys that will suggest that's what you need to get. If you go that route expect a super hard ride. There are a few spring/strut options that can give a firm to hard ride. If you stay with springs though replacing the strut mounts is a must.
You mentioned it seems lower after driving a while. Is it sagging in the rear? If so buying brand new springs from Lexus or new TT springs from Toyota is not as expensive as you'd think.
Good luck on the continued freshening up of your car. That 2J has many, many more miles left on it.
Thanks for replying that was very helpful. No it's not sagging in the rear but the ride is really ruff. I loooked into coilovers but I'm thinking about getting just some 1 inch drop springs and tokico struts. Am I correct I. Reading that the suspension from a supra will fit on my sc? As well as the big front brake? Also what does the TT stand for? Not trying to sound like a complete idiot but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my car. It's funny cause I owned it for like 2 months and didn't really care about the car then one day I stumbled onto CL trying to find out how to change my plugs and was amazed! After a new set of plugs and BFI mod the car ran sooo different. Needless to say I am very on love with my SC now I want to do everything to it possible! Sorry for the over enthusiasm and thanks for all the info.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension advice please-image.jpg  
Old 12-29-14, 05:53 PM
Rickbean
Rookie

I don't think it's sagging in the back what do u think? I am looking to put some black 18s on her and have a set I megan racing mufflers ( that I got for a steal thank you ebay) in the mail I can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails Suspension advice please-image.jpg  
Old 12-30-14, 03:24 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With that many miles, inspect all your bushings for wear, Protane makes complete kits for these cars & it sure helps to replace them. as far as struts & such it just depends on what your going for with the car, & what your wallet can afford.
Old 12-31-14, 03:02 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Ramblerman is right on with his advice..... All depends on what your goals and aspirations are for the vehicle. It took quite a bit of reading, research, budget prep, and patience to make the decisions for what options to chase.

Also depends, too, whether or not you will use this as a daily versus a weekend only car. Putting on coliovers and wide tires has a good look but not too practical as a daily commuter unless the ride is all surface streets and close by.

There is plenty to read and decide upon; budget challenges aside (these cars are not cheap to develop even if you have the DIYer skills) best thing is to take your time, make a plan, assess your options and choices, and proceed.... The end product will be unique and custom to your tastes and always a head turner on the road or at meets....

Good luck....
Old 01-01-15, 07:03 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

TT stands for Twin Turbo. The MKIV (4th generation) Supra has a twin turbo 2JZGTE engine. It's essentially the same chassis as the Lexus SC. The suspension arms are the same except for the bushings which are a little stiffer with the supra. The TT springs are an excellent way to achieve a small drop in your ride height and still maintain a somewhat comfortable ride. It will be noticeably more firm but cruises nicely. It'll drop the car about a half inch/inch in the front and half inch in the back. With supra TT brakes you'll have to have a certain offset wheel or you can source some TT supra wheels, 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear. People are proud of them so they're not cheap but they are one of the best looking wheels for our cars. Yours does look a little saggy but it just may be the way it's sitting. Now just a little warning. SC's are very sensitive to alignments and wheel sizes and if there are some worn bushings it'll exaggerate the way it drives. Here are my old SC300's with Supra TT wheels and stock Lexus springs/Tokico Blue shocks.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension advice please-image-3314855712.jpg   Suspension advice please-image-1579562041.jpg  

Last edited by gtsfire; 01-01-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 10:36 AM
lem321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GTSfire wheels

Hi GTSfire,

Really like your black on black SC with the Supra wheels. I am in a similar situation as the original poster of this thread and had a couple of questions regarding your car:

1) Are your Supra TT wheels on the black SC painted or polished? What hub caps did you use with the gold Lexus emblem?
2) Did you use any spacers as the look of the wheels is very stock looking (I like)?
3) What suspension mods did you use on the black SC - stock Supra TT coils and struts or other after market (coil-overs)?
4) What alignment specs did you use once suspension mods are made (original SC or other)?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Old 01-02-15, 05:18 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lem321
Hi GTSfire,

Really like your black on black SC with the Supra wheels. I am in a similar situation as the original poster of this thread and had a couple of questions regarding your car:

1) Are your Supra TT wheels on the black SC painted or polished? What hub caps did you use with the gold Lexus emblem?
2) Did you use any spacers as the look of the wheels is very stock looking (I like)?
3) What suspension mods did you use on the black SC - stock Supra TT coils and struts or other after market (coil-overs)?
4) What alignment specs did you use once suspension mods are made (original SC or other)?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Thanks. Both of those cars pictured above always had OEM Lexus springs and no spacers. Those particular wheels I don't have anymore but they were original Toyota paint. The Lexus center caps I still have and I think they came off the 15 inch sc300 wheels of the early 90's. Both cars had just a regular alignment. I drive a lot as you can tell just from the picture. I'm in North Texas. The black 98 pic is in southern Arizona. The silver 2000 pic is in downtown Nashville TN at the old Ryman Auditorium. I went through a set of tires a year. They're staggered so you can't rotate them. The backs wear in the middle fairly quick and the fronts start cupping after about 15k miles.
Now I currently have a 97 black on black 400. I did put TT springs/shocks on it for a little while. I got to where I just wanted a stock Lexus ride back. Like I said, I drive a lot and want to be comfortable. I did buy a set of TT wheels for my MKIII Supra. I did put those on my SC for a little while. The pic below is from November. Now I do have 15 mm spacers on the front. I put the OEM wheels back on it and put the TT's and spacers on my supra, which is what I bought them for anyway. These wheels have been professionally restored and painted. No powder coating or plastidip.
I should photoshop those wheels onto my Mercedes CL55 for grins.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension advice please-image-1626949627.jpg   Suspension advice please-image-3324957769.jpg  
Old 01-06-15, 12:56 AM
lem321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile SC suspension information

GTSfire,

Thanks for that information.