Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

FIRST POST - Got a question about AVS and Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 09:59 AM
nammerzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRST POST - Got a question about AVS and Coilovers

So, I recently purchase an IS 350 F sport and I've been reading about AVS and coilovers and I'm looking at lowering my car. I'm assuming that since i have the 350 f sport it somes with AVS. A few questions...

1) What happens if I run it WITHOUT AVS because my coilovers don't have that option

2) Is my check engine light going to come on?

3) Does it make a significant difference between AVS and no AVS?

4) IF my coilover options do not have AVS capabilities, are the AVS sensor going to just dangle?or will it still be mounted. (i'm not sure the exact location on the AVS)

5) is there anything else I should know about AVS?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm a NEWB.
Old 06-13-14, 05:03 PM
WiLz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nammerzz
So, I recently purchase an IS 350 F sport and I've been reading about AVS and coilovers and I'm looking at lowering my car. I'm assuming that since i have the 350 f sport it somes with AVS. A few questions...

1) What happens if I run it WITHOUT AVS because my coilovers don't have that option

2) Is my check engine light going to come on?

3) Does it make a significant difference between AVS and no AVS?

4) IF my coilover options do not have AVS capabilities, are the AVS sensor going to just dangle?or will it still be mounted. (i'm not sure the exact location on the AVS)

5) is there anything else I should know about AVS?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm a NEWB.
The AVS module is the black box on top of the strut. Check out this thread if you haven't yet: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...pension-2.html
There is some good information about AVS and coilovers, as well as photos.

You're car will be fine without AVS, you just won't have the ability to adjust between soft/stiff settings on the fly. Essentially, your Sport and Sport+ modes will become the same. You're suspension will only have one setting while driving - whatever you set your coilovers to. And no you won't get a check engine.
Old 06-13-14, 05:31 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It throws engine codes but no engine check light. I think the system is useless because I never could feel that much difference between normal and sport+. Now, with the coilovers when you go from soft to medium and then to hard, and it's a night and day. You can even feel just 5 clicks (on rs-r there are 36 or something). Let's just say you won't miss the AVS for a second when you go coilovers.

The avs motors can be unplugged and you can then ziptie the wire plugs to other wires.