Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

APEXi World Sport Coilovers - Thoughts n' Feelings

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 09:29 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APEXi World Sport Coilovers - Thoughts n' Feelings

I just ordered a set of APEXi World sport coilovers for my 02 GS300... Ive read reviews about them saying that they are very soft and stock-like drive. This is something that I prefer since I dont race around my GS and I mainly cruise it.

I wanted to get some feed back from other CL users about these coilovers... Pro's and Cons would be great..

Also any install stories.. from the looks of them, they just go in like any other coilovers, but you have to use the stock upper mount (shouldnt be an issue)

Thanks for all the feedback in advance...
Old 07-29-03, 09:32 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

just so you know what they look like ..
Attached Thumbnails APEXi World Sport Coilovers - Thoughts n' Feelings-apexi_ws_suspension1.jpg  
Old 07-29-03, 09:51 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should probably ask this in the "Suspension and Handling" Forum. I am sure the good folks there can help you with your questions!
Old 07-29-03, 11:54 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

please let us know how they are. I am interested in how they ride. I was going to get these at first but I jumped on the Tein.
Old 07-30-03, 07:20 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

I have Apexi WS Coilovers. Installed them about 6 months ago. They give a better than stock handling, but are still very comfortable. In terms of hardness, well, they are soft. Very close to stock.
Initially, after the install I still had my 17" stock rims, at that time I felt that the Apexi were a bit too soft. However, after getting 18" and pumping up my tires a bit, I think they are quite nice.

The good thing was that they were very cheap. I live in Hong Kong and got them for USD800 including installation

Alex
Old 07-30-03, 08:30 AM
dbox
Driver

i have them on my cl-s and it looks like i'll be buying them for the gs also...

they can drop my cl-s so low i cn't even drive it!
Old 07-30-03, 08:55 AM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

How is the install... straight forward?
Old 07-30-03, 09:30 AM
dbox
Driver

Originally posted by SpdRcr0
How is the install... straight forward?
on my cl-s it was as simple as could be...
Old 07-30-03, 02:28 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

how is the actual feel of the car...
Old 07-30-03, 04:35 PM
dbox
Driver

i had h&r springs before the coilovers and the acura rode like *****... after i got the apexi's i slammed it to the ground and it rode nice. i'm sure it will be the same for the gs. i'm gonna go ahead and order them. let me know if you get em cheaper than autocarparts.com. has them for.

take care...
Old 07-30-03, 07:46 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Email me at yury@************ .. Im pretty sure I can beat their price ..
Old 07-30-03, 09:56 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I really liked the hieght adjustment on them too. I believe you could go as low at 4 inches. The only downside is that I wish you could adjust the stiffness on them also.
Old 07-31-03, 04:52 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Another quesiton I had.. here it goes...

Right now im running H&R spring w/ stock shocks (yes I know this setup isnt good) .. anyways.. when I have 4 people in the car (average height / weight) and a full tank of gas the rear has no gap when it normally has about 1-1 1/2 finger gap..

WHen I get these coilovers installed Im going to adjust the rear to have no gap, or even have the tire tucked in the fender...

now my question is this... will I have to worry about the wheel going to far into the fender when I have people in the rear, or since these will be a good set of coilovers + much better setup that Im running now.. I wont have this problem..

Or, do I need to get replacement springs from Apexi to have a stiffer setup in the rear?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-03, 05:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SpdRcr0
Another quesiton I had.. here it goes...

Right now im running H&R spring w/ stock shocks (yes I know this setup isnt good) .. anyways.. when I have 4 people in the car (average height / weight) and a full tank of gas the rear has no gap when it normally has about 1-1 1/2 finger gap..

WHen I get these coilovers installed Im going to adjust the rear to have no gap, or even have the tire tucked in the fender...

now my question is this... will I have to worry about the wheel going to far into the fender when I have people in the rear, or since these will be a good set of coilovers + much better setup that Im running now.. I wont have this problem..

Or, do I need to get replacement springs from Apexi to have a stiffer setup in the rear?

Thanks!
Nothing is free. Coilovers and lowering springs are not lowering the suspension attach points relative to the body but letting the at rest state of the body be with the suspension travel in the tire up (body down) direction. As long as the tire doesn't hit the fender (pretty noticeable) you really aren't damaging anything. But you don't have great handling either. Eventually, either because of the road you are on or the load you put in, the suspension hits a stop, usually a hard rubber bumper, and that is it, no more travel in that direction. So for all intents and purposes, at that point, you have no suspension on that tire, no spring, no shock, just solid contact. That tire is solidly affixed to the body until something changes and it can move down. The only way to lower and not use what little gap you have left up, is to have stiffer springs and shocks, whether this setup is "better" or not is up to you and you buttometer.
Old 07-31-03, 05:58 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

I used to have my set of Apexi WS a bit lower than now and when I was driving the car with only one person (myself) there were no problems. However, when I started to drive my family around, I found out that the persons in the back were not enjoying the bumps in the road and they were shaken a lot.
Therefore, I had to readjust the height again.

So, if you have passengers in the back, you cannot go too low

Quick Reply: APEXi World Sport Coilovers - Thoughts n' Feelings