Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning! Stay away from Moog part #'s starting with RK

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 11:14 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
I am curious how you know the RK branded items are crap, those of you who say so. Issues with 2G Lexus are pretty well vetted on this forum. If there are issues with parts SOMEBODY will report it on this site. Other than these latest threads that focus on the manufacturing source, I haven't seen any substantive evidence that the parts are problematic. I recently purchased Moog LBJ. They are R series with triple 5 and the box says made in Japan. My understand these are high quality parts. Yet, one of the posters says that R series parts are not good. I would much rather hear from someone who says they purchased an RK series part and it wore out or failed in 5k miles rather than alarmist declarations that they are crap just because they are made in a different country. IJS
This man speaks the truth...
Old 03-26-14, 08:00 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
I am curious how you know the RK branded items are crap, those of you who say so. Issues with 2G Lexus are pretty well vetted on this forum. If there are issues with parts SOMEBODY will report it on this site. Other than these latest threads that focus on the manufacturing source, I haven't seen any substantive evidence that the parts are problematic. I recently purchased Moog LBJ. They are R series with triple 5 and the box says made in Japan. My understand these are high quality parts. Yet, one of the posters says that R series parts are not good. I would much rather hear from someone who says they purchased an RK series part and it wore out or failed in 5k miles rather than alarmist declarations that they are crap just because they are made in a different country. IJS
R Series ball joints??? Didn't know those even existed. Anyways, if you read my post, you will understand why certain products get downgraded when they are being manufactured in a different country for cheap labor. It hurts the product.

Question: I have a two baseball caps of your favorite team. One was made here in the US, the other was made in China. Same brand. The US one cost $35. The one manufactured in China is $10. Which one are you going to select?

Cheap labor in most cases equates to cheaper brand. Which in turn means lower quality.

Last edited by repugnante; 03-26-14 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 08:19 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
kinda off topic but now that everybody know old oem ball joints suck has lexus redesigned them? how much cheaper are moog from rock auto vs sewell lexus? I was going to buy some from rockauto as my car just hit 100k about 20 mins ago (still no issues from oem though, just a precaution)
oem has never been redesigned. That's a big rumor on this board, but NO ONE can provide proof of this redesign. I've even asked for it and never got a response. This is in the same boat at ALL 01+ GS's are dual stage airbags which is false because I've seen quite a few single stage 01+ models...including mine. As far as costs, why don't you search the websites for pricing yourself instead of asking someone else to search prices for you .
Old 03-26-14, 05:50 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my MOOG LBJs and Tie Rod ends from Rock Auto. Had a blue and yellow MOOG box, said nascar on it and everything, looked at the coponets and they are stamped Made in Japan. They are a great part, so Im not really understanding what exactly you are trying to warn us about OP?
Old 03-27-14, 11:26 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, I recently started working at oreillys, moog or masterpro, whatever the part number its usually the same, K500101 and k500102 are balljoints, parts starting with K are ball joints for whatever vehicle, and the ES are tie rods. this goes for both brands not just moog. Although this would explain the "asia spec" boxes i have seen, its as if they changed something but are making sure its still the same quality. well i hope they are.
Old 04-09-14, 04:58 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Im having a hard time even finding non RK versions.
Old 04-09-14, 05:41 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Not trying to be a ****, but it was covered by me and another poster (or two). The first letters are different for pretty much each piece that Moog makes. From what was said earlier:

"...not all of they're products are "K" or "RK". For instance: [on RockAuto] their outer tie rod part numbers begin with "ES" and the inner tie rods begin with "EV"; however, ALL of their control arms (upper and lower) begin with RK. If you try searching for the same number without the "R" in front, nothing comes up at all. "
Old 04-11-14, 07:20 AM
nezlyfe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the moogs and while I don't remember the part numbers I do remember it having "made in japan" stamped and the 555. best part of moogs over oem is the grease nipple and from o reilly's come with LIFETIME warranty. I replaced them with Import Direct which seems to be built as well, maybe better, as the moogs.
Old 04-11-14, 07:24 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Not trying to be a ****, but it was covered by me and another poster (or two). The first letters are different for pretty much each piece that Moog makes. From what was said earlier:

"...not all of they're products are "K" or "RK". For instance: [on RockAuto] their outer tie rod part numbers begin with "ES" and the inner tie rods begin with "EV"; however, ALL of their control arms (upper and lower) begin with RK. If you try searching for the same number without the "R" in front, nothing comes up at all. "
It's not the part number. It's the brand name. The upper arms for these cars are labeled and named the R-Series. If you see that brand name on the box, it is the downgraded version from what Moog used to manufacture
Old 04-11-14, 04:45 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by repugnante
It's not the part number. It's the brand name. The upper arms for these cars are labeled and named the R-Series. If you see that brand name on the box, it is the downgraded version from what Moog used to manufacture
How can anyone say these are "downgraded" when no one on the forum is running them? Other than being manufactured outside of Japan, I've yet to hear or read a single complaint about them (that includes Google searching). All I'm reading is a bunch of hear-say about since they're being made outside of Japan they're not as good as the previous versions when no one has compared the previous/current versions... I'm just saying.
Old 04-12-14, 10:53 AM
l3xyota
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know if the US made moog tie rod ends are as good as the 555's? I just got them and there's a gap between the dust boots and the stud.
Old 04-12-14, 04:40 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Wasn trying to irritate anyone, I really tried to find a Moog upper control arm that didnt have the RK part number through various sources. Thats all I was trying to say. Its possible im not going to the right sites or that Moog is trying hard to get the RK numbers out there to replace the others.
Old 04-14-14, 12:21 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo722
I ordered my MOOG LBJs and Tie Rod ends from Rock Auto. Had a blue and yellow MOOG box, said nascar on it and everything, looked at the coponets and they are stamped Made in Japan. They are a great part, so Im not really understanding what exactly you are trying to warn us about OP?
U bought LBJ I'm talking about UCA with ball joints already installed, moog makes them in a r series, which isn't the same, not as good...
Old 04-14-14, 08:03 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
How can anyone say these are "downgraded" when no one on the forum is running them? Other than being manufactured outside of Japan, I've yet to hear or read a single complaint about them (that includes Google searching). All I'm reading is a bunch of hear-say about since they're being made outside of Japan they're not as good as the previous versions when no one has compared the previous/current versions... I'm just saying.
Because that's business. It always has been. Cheaper labor in most cases means cheaper part. With this part in particular it is obvious. They changed location of where the part is being manufactured, lowered the cost of that part to a large degree and renamed it. Telltale signs of a part being downgraded due to inflation and cost cutting.

...and I don't know where you are searching, but I have read up on the R-series and I see many, many bad reviews.
Old 04-14-14, 09:24 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
Because that's business. It always has been. Cheaper labor in most cases means cheaper part. With this part in particular it is obvious. They changed location of where the part is being manufactured, lowered the cost of that part to a large degree and renamed it. Telltale signs of a part being downgraded due to inflation and cost cutting.

...and I don't know where you are searching, but I have read up on the R-series and I see many, many bad reviews.
I guess they just don't wanna listen, it's whatever, lol...

Quick Reply: Warning! Stay away from Moog part #'s starting with RK