Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Camber Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 03:55 PM
uppercase1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber Issue

Hey guys I need so help. I just got new wheels on for my SC and to help make them fit perfect I need to camber in the fronts a few degrees. I went to the alignment shop today and they said the front left is maxed out at -1.2 and front right has a little more adjustable but maxes out at -1.6. This doesn't match what I've read or been to told the stock set up will allow. Do any of you have any suggestions or do I need to buy a camber kit?
Old 11-12-13, 01:49 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

the camber bolts on the lca control camber. they have degree marks. look at them and see for yourself. adjust them as needed. maxing out to have them "fit right" sure it looks cool while parked but your tire wear and drivibility will be horrible. doesnt make sence that they are uneven. driving like that is even worse on tires. something is either worn/broken or not installed properly. theres not much option for aftermarket camber for the SC. good luck.
Old 11-12-13, 08:20 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

you seem to be concerned with fitment so i'm hoping you're lowered, in which case you should be able to get more camber.
If you don't know how to adjust the camber, get under the car and take a pic of the dial for the front bolt of the front lower control arm and post it up so we can see if there's any adjustability left.
Old 11-13-13, 06:46 AM
uppercase1
Rookie

This is how it sits right now. All fenders are trimmed thanks to Tony (So Cal guys will know who he is). I do plan on going a bit lower in the front to see if it will camber just a little bit more. That's all I really need. Nothing crazy. Rear will go down quite a bit more to even out with the fronts but there is no rubbing whatsoever in the rear so I'm good there.

Last edited by uppercase1; 11-13-13 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 04:24 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh hey glad to see the car on the wheels now!
Old 11-13-13, 05:14 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

good to see pics. wheels look good as is but i do see that the fronts stick out a little. some more camber would help them tuck in a little...

what bothers me is this.

"the front left is maxed out at -1.2 and front right has a little more adjustable but maxes out at -1.6."

the camber bolts should beable to adjust to the same ranges. theres is a chance the locking plates around the camber plates are bent. ive seen them break and you cant lock in camber.

heres an aftermarket setup but are crazy expensive. fronts are extreamly rare. but with them being adjustable all you do is turn the nut.

a70 supra but same thing

in this pic you can see the tabs i was talking about that break and bend. they lock the camber plate in place.

=/ if only...

Last edited by SCstone; 11-13-13 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 05:24 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love seeing new arms <3 plus 1 on battle version! im planning on picking up the full set of rears for my GS from a local shop in town soon. you may need new arms unless you're ok with getting a new tire size!
Old 11-13-13, 07:15 PM
uppercase1
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCstone
good to see pics. wheels look good as is but i do see that the fronts stick out a little. some more camber would help them tuck in a little...

what bothers me is this.

"the front left is maxed out at -1.2 and front right has a little more adjustable but maxes out at -1.6."

the camber bolts should beable to adjust to the same ranges. theres is a chance the locking plates around the camber plates are bent. ive seen them break and you cant lock in camber.
Thank you so much for the help and pointing me in a direction. I will be lowering the car more this Saturday to see if it cambers in a little more on its own. While I'm under there I'll double check to see if anything is bent or broken. But seriously where do I get those arms?? I don't see them on the Battle Version site anymore.
Old 11-13-13, 10:05 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

i don't think bver ever really sold any front arms other than tie rods. I know he made some uca's but i'm not sure it ever got put into the production line.
Old 11-13-13, 11:03 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

you're in a tough situation because aftermarket front suspension stuff is super rare to find for the Soarer/SC. there are some out there like the Powerhouse, BV, Titan, Ikeya, megan, enjuku kits but good luck.. you can still get rear stuff all day long thanks to the drifters.

the absolute rarest out of all is the front LCA and thats what controls camber for the front, they are almost a myth they bend and break so they stop making them.

Last edited by SCstone; 11-13-13 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 07:03 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjustable uppers would be great for camber adjustment.

I've seen this on many other cars, but has anyone ever heard of aftermarket camber eccentric bolts to replace our OEM ones? Some people call them 'crash bolts', they allow for a wider range of camber adjustment.
Old 11-14-13, 07:57 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

i don't get why aftermarket arms are necessary. I'm running -5 camber up front with all stock(ish) arms. the lca's are stock supra ones since the old ones had 200+k miles on em (i was still running -4.5 camber with the stock sc arms with prothane bushings), and the uca's are my stocks with prothane bushings. and my fronts aren't all that low.

Again, just jack up the car, make sure the adjustments are where they're supposed to be and check your bushings/ball joints to see if the extra wear/play is creating the differential.

And as for crash bolts, I have a feeling you're talking about the eccentric bolts that're sold for macpherson strut front suspension. If that's the case they're not relevant to sc's
Old 11-15-13, 09:25 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

I know cars with macpherson benefit from that extra point of camber adjustment since from factory they don't have it. But there are camber kits or whatever theyre called where u replace the lower control arm bolts on a variety of cars to give you more adjustment.

And the point of camber arms is to correct negative camber, I see you enjoy your negative camber in sunny California but it snows here in NY, my front camber is adjusted to be as positive as can be and I still have pretty bad tire wear.
Old 11-15-13, 08:10 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Candela
And the point of camber arms is to correct negative camber.
I fully understand this concept, but the OP has made it clear he wants to add more negative camber, not correct it. Also, toe kills tires, not camber.

and as for the bolts, if they're not on a macherson, they usually are used for cars that have no adjustment from factory. example, I helped my friend install some janky camber kit (might have been toe) in the rear where we had to dremel out the factory bolt hole into an oval and install an eccentric bolt. The sc is pretty much fully adjustable so I still don't think it applies.
Old 11-17-13, 09:12 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

My bad I thought he wanted to correct camber. Doesn't an increase in camber influence toe in some way? Looks like there aren't any bolts made for the SC.

I've gotten alignment/inspection several second opinions and it seems in the front they cannot set it any more positive, I have moderate inside tire wear, and I'm trying to have full contact patch so that all the treads work with the precipitation.