Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-tuned For 2002 Gs430??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 11:54 PM
rah4now
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-tuned For 2002 Gs430??

Hi,

Back in 2001 when I was researching the GS430's I saw a lot of people were upgrading their cars to L-tuned products. I was interested in pursuing this since everybody mentioned improved suspension and handling as well as the car being lowered about 1".

Well, I finally got my 2002 in March and now I'm looking into getting a minimal upgrade: 1) L-tuned Shocks; 2) L-tuned Springs 3) Upgraded Steering ECU.

However, after reading a recent thread on this site, it appears that the L-tuned Steering ECU is now "stock" in the 2002 GS430 since they have the same Part Number. Is there any truth in that?

Since I would like improved handling, is it really worth just getting L-tuned Shocks and Springs, knowing that the ECU upgrade doesn't apply to my 2002?

Since I live in Southern California, can any of you recommend where I could get the best price for the L-tuned Parts and installation?

If I don't get the L-tuned upgrades, I would at least like to get the car lowered in anticipation of getting some 18" wheels next year. Who does a good job of lowering in So Cal?

Thanks for listening and I'm looking forward to your comments.

Roland
Old 12-16-02, 11:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Many (including myself) have concluded that the L-Tuned steering ECU is different from the factory one. The part number on the casing is the same as the 2002 and even the 1998 one, but the software inside is different.

The difference is subtle, but noticeable. A new 2001 owner and I did tests before and after switching out the ECU for an L-Tuned one and each concluded there was a difference, after both driving the car without conferring our impressions.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-16-02 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-17-02, 12:05 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As for parts, always try Steve Ganz, especially since you are in SoCal. His CL name is SUPRATRD. Otherwise:

Steve Ganz
-CarsonToyota/Lexus Parts
-TRD/L-Tuned/TTE/JDM Body Kits/Tein
-TOM'S Racing/Jic-Magic/L-Sportline/RMM
-Rotora brake systems/Auto Couture
-gonzo4u@earthlink.net

-1-800-908-6968

Independent of the ECU, the shocks/springs will improve handling. The nice thing about L-Tuned products is that you can get them installed at the dealer and you will not void your warranty.

Dealership-wise, I've heard Longo and Keyes are good. I'm in NorCal so this is only hearsay from SoCal members.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-02, 01:04 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
Dealership-wise, I've heard Longo and Keyes are good. I'm in NorCal so this is only hearsay from SoCal members.
Keyes Lexus is great. I've had my GS serviced at Lexus of Riverside, Kearny Mesa Lexus, Lexus of Carlsbad, and Sacramento Lexus. No one comes close to matching Keyes.
Old 12-18-02, 01:20 AM
dipstick
Pole Position

Default L-Tuned

Here's my 2 cents, maybe different opinion from some: I bought a 2001 GS430 last March that was built in July of 01. It was stock with the premium pkg and 17" wheels. I was advised by three different sources after careful inquiry directly with L-Tuned and Lexus that the steering ECU in my car was identical to the L-tuned ECU. I thought the steering was excellent and tight, and said so in my posts back then, and even though I had bought the L-Tuned ECU, I sold it at a loss. I then decided I would prefer to have a 430 with navigation and Mark Levinson, so I sold the one I had in July (at a profit after 4 months and 3,000 miles) and have bought another one. This one was built in November of 2000. The steering is definitely not the same as the first one. Though not "bad" it is lazier and not up to par for the L-Tuned suspension pkg I had installed last week. So maybe I was right. It could be that Lexus started putting the upgraded ECU on stock cars some time in early 2001. I am sure there is a clear difference between the two cars' steering. As for the L-tuned package, it is excellent, but don't believe you are not sacrificing some luxury ride for the better handling. It is a stiffer ride and the bumps are more pronounced. But the float and bounce is gone and handling is very good. I still need stiffer sway bars, and am going to get the "Sportivo" set made for the Aristo market in Japan (I think) which is about half way between stock and the "race" TRD sway bars. I am getting them from a dealer in Dallas who just got them in stock. I think they are what I want. You pays your money and takes your chances. Good luck with your new car.
Old 12-28-02, 06:49 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Steering Differences...

I would argue that the pretensioner setting is not consistent on the cars. I have a 2003 GS430 and the steering is very loose. I sampled a stock 2000 GS400 with the exact same wheels/tires and it was very tight.

Of interesting note however is that my car has the NAV and the ML and the other car did not. Seems that was the same with yours (dipstick) correct? The one without NAV and ML was tighter correct?

Anyway, I'm going to make my 1K appt and have them check it out. I also need to talk to the dealer about compensation for the "ding" that was in my car when I picked it up that can not be fixed.

Doug
Old 12-28-02, 06:59 PM
matjen
Driver School Candidate

I would add replacement polyurathane sway bar bushings to your list. They are something like $30 from TM Engineering. Made by Daizen Sport. I just installed them with my L-Tuned suspensiona and am very happy.
Old 12-28-02, 09:20 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Default L-Tuned ECU

Yeah, Doug, the better steering car was stock stereo and no navigation. I will probably try the pretensioning first, and if that doesn't make it better, I might consider the ECU again. Not sure the steering is so bad, though. I will be getting my new sway bars installed this week, and see what effect that has.