Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Do I need new struts or springs? (Jarring ride on bad NYC roads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 01:51 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Do I need new struts or springs? (Jarring ride on bad NYC roads)

Hi,
I have a 95' Sc400 with 117,000K and I would guess the stock original suspension. It was a suburban car but for the last few months I have been driving it over the BAD roads of New York City.
I'm sure this is hard to diagnose without driving the car but I'll try to convey what i am feeling.
My car makes no bad noises over bumps and tracks pretty straight over bumps. My problem is bad roads are particularly jarring and bad potholes seem to BANG WAY harder that they should in a Lexus in my estimation. I don't notice any bounciness or out of control front end stuff but I feel like I am being more careful over bad sections of road than other drivers and I think i am getting banged up harder because I couldn't imagine going any faster over those sections of road. People behind me often seem eager to go around me to continue on more quickly over really bad road.
Extended bad sections feel like the car is being shaken apart and I must slow down. I have no idea what to expect from this car ride wise but I'd imagine it is pretty luxurious even on bumpy roads.

What this suspension feels like on bad road seems similar to what people describe who are lowered with stiff, sport suspension except without the tighter handling on smooth roads. It seems like the punishing shock is not being absorbed.

The struts are silver with no writing that I can see. I assume they are stock. I see no leaking oil on them.

Does this sound like worn struts or springs or both?

If I do the struts, what else should I do while the front end is apart (bushings etc?).

Thank You

EDIT: IT WAS THE BLIZZAK RUN-FLAT TIRES. I PUT ON SUMMER TIRES AND ALL IS PERFECT. THE RUN-FLATS ARE HARD AS ROCKS!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-20-13 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-26-13, 01:13 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put new shocks on my 400 and the car drives better than before but the same as your situation as it handles rough on bad roads and potholes...anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 02-27-13, 09:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc4demon
i just put new shocks on my 400 and the car drives better than before but the same as your situation as it handles rough on bad roads and potholes...anyone else have any suggestions?
Hm...... We are both in NY, that could be a clue.
I am starting to think only 4x4 can stand up to some of these bumps.
Old 03-09-13, 09:28 AM
lowdownsc
Driver School Candidate

I recently got my tires changed and as i left the tire shop my rear suspension started making this really wierd kind of squeaking and thud that sounds awfull.. if anyone knows what could of happened or how i could fix it please let me know. i took it back to the shop and thy said they couldnt see anything but thats probably cause thy didnt want to fix it for free because they caused the problem. thanks for any input.
Old 03-10-13, 07:17 PM
mikevandam
Driver

maybe the shocks are bad?
Old 03-11-13, 08:29 AM
lowdownsc
Driver School Candidate

Would that be the same case with coilovers? and how much would it be to go back to stock suspension?
Old 04-08-13, 04:04 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

After seeing people measure drop with fingers, I tried it today. I could get one finger in and barely two fingers in the rear wheel gap. The car actually sits like it is lowered in the rear (It has never rubbed at all).
I guess that means I need new springs at least. The front end seems to stay on track and tight for the most part. My drop is really a "SAG". Cost me nothing but ride quality. ;-)

Last edited by Studiogeek; 04-15-13 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-13-13, 08:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I think i may have overestimated the "luxury" of the Sc suspension. I am starting to think that my shocks are fine, and my rear springs are worn. It just is more "sport" tuned then I thought perhaps. These CRATERS in NYC likely will shake the heck out of anything from this era except lincoln's and Caddy's etc.
Old 04-14-13, 08:29 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a similar problem, I too am in NY. I'm on 20's tho and every bump feels hard, and without power steering it's even worse. Going to 18's with a bigger tire I'm hoping will solve the problem. Also planing on doing new control arms, gonna inspect that stuff later today. I want this ride as smooth as can be. Every pay check since I've got it has been going into this car. It's a slow process but I think it will pay off when it's done.

LowDownSC...sounds like you need rear struts. I'm no professional though I've driven another Lexus that needed rear struts and it would make a loud thud on nearly ever bump.
Old 04-15-13, 03:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Biddles
I got a similar problem, I too am in NY. I'm on 20's tho and every bump feels hard, and without power steering it's even worse. Going to 18's with a bigger tire I'm hoping will solve the problem. Also planing on doing new control arms, gonna inspect that stuff later today. I want this ride as smooth as can be. Every pay check since I've got it has been going into this car. It's a slow process but I think it will pay off when it's done.

LowDownSC...sounds like you need rear struts. I'm no professional though I've driven another Lexus that needed rear struts and it would make a loud thud on nearly ever bump.
I have not purchased anything but food, wine and car parts since december.

Your power steering is out? What happened?
Old 04-15-13, 04:42 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

OK, a good portion of my problem was the Blizzak run-flat tires on the Sc430 wheels. They are hard as rocks. The new tires feel like pillows! ;-)
Old 04-15-13, 05:13 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh my power steering issues a mess right now. Put in a new pump, wasn't the problem, now putting in a new rack/pinion/tie rod ends....if that's not the problem then it's either hoses or reservoir. Still waiting on the rack/pinion/tie rod ends in the mail tho it's been over a week now. From there I gotta do the upstream 02 sensors, rear brakes, front left brake, and a tune up as I just sea foamed. I got plenty of work ahead of me.
Old 04-15-13, 05:43 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Biddles
Eh my power steering issues a mess right now. Put in a new pump, wasn't the problem, now putting in a new rack/pinion/tie rod ends....if that's not the problem then it's either hoses or reservoir. Still waiting on the rack/pinion/tie rod ends in the mail tho it's been over a week now. From there I gotta do the upstream 02 sensors, rear brakes, front left brake, and a tune up as I just sea foamed. I got plenty of work ahead of me.
Biddles, do you think you would benefit from biting the bullet and paying Lexus for a full diagnostic test? Then take your paperwork home and chip away at the list yourself. It may find other issues for you as well.