Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering IS250 awd

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 04:51 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Lowering IS250 awd

Been reading into this a lot lately.. I only want to lower my IS about an inch to inch and a half max.. just to close the gap between tire and fender.. Can i get away with just lowering springs? i've read this can result in increased shock wear.. Do i need to get a whole new spring/ shock set up?! As mentioned i don't want to lower the car extensively.. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.. If i can just use a simple set of lowering springs (from a reputable name of course) that would be ideal however i won't justify the integrity of another part for convenience. I've looked at H&R spring kits as this is the only one i could find that would work with the AWD. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-13, 08:55 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

h&r pretty decent for awd since we can't lower much on it anyways
i wanted to upgrade to coils but after reading all the horror storries about severe vibration and possibly leaking cv boot if too low (about 24.5" fender to ground is the margin?), i gave it up
going to stick with the h&r until it's time to change shocks then get fsport
not to mention only 4 coilovers available to awd anyways and none of them are that "great"
Old 02-08-13, 08:42 AM
SeanO
Instructor

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...d-and-isf.html

stumbled into these yesterday as well.. for a 1-1.5" drop i might look into these.. curious as to that cv boot leaking though.. guess i can check the height myself
Old 02-11-13, 08:47 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reyoasian
h&r pretty decent for awd since we can't lower much on it anyways
i wanted to upgrade to coils but after reading all the horror storries about severe vibration and possibly leaking cv boot if too low (about 24.5" fender to ground is the margin?), i gave it up
going to stick with the h&r until it's time to change shocks then get fsport
not to mention only 4 coilovers available to awd anyways and none of them are that "great"
I thought it was more closer to 25" or lower when you have the leaking CV boot and vibrations. Do you have any vibrations with H&R springs? I'm pretty set on F-Sport springs and shocks to eliminate the 4x4 wheel gap, but I may go a little lower if I can while trying to keep it practical for daily driving. I asked another member on how their setup was doing and they're enjoying it quite well.
Old 02-11-13, 10:35 PM
Dr3wSaL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly recommend the H&Rs. They give you a little extra drop over the f sports and are even front and back. I've been riding on the stock shocks for about 10k miles and it's pretty close to stock, only harsh on bad bumps. As far as the vibrations go I do slightly notice them when stopped but any lowered awd will and honestly it's negligible. We'll worth it compared to the 4x4
Old 02-12-13, 08:03 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Has anyone actually figured out what exactly causes the vibration? Does the lowered state change the suspension geometry so much that it causes the vibrations? Just wondering.. I have a set of coilovers on order that don't seem to have made it to these boards yet. I'll be posting a review about them when I get them, and I'll do things like measure fender to ground distance and report on any issues with vibrations or CV boot leaks.

Also, if you're looking for H&R springs, I bought a set about 4 months back, and since then I've decided to go to coilovers. If you want them, PM me your shipping address and I'll get a quote, and we'll work something out.
Old 02-12-13, 11:32 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Springs and coilovers are going to lower the car the same exact way, so vibrations can be had either way.

the problem is with coilovers people lower it MORE, which makes the issue worse.

The problem seems to be the angle of the CV when lowered, and not lowering the front and rear evenly.

then again, some guys are slammed and it doesnt happen, it seems to be a mystery to his day haha,

We will be glad to help you out if you want a coilovers kit or springs, feel free to hit us up!
Old 02-12-13, 01:17 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by knguyenk
I thought it was more closer to 25" or lower when you have the leaking CV boot and vibrations. Do you have any vibrations with H&R springs? I'm pretty set on F-Sport springs and shocks to eliminate the 4x4 wheel gap, but I may go a little lower if I can while trying to keep it practical for daily driving. I asked another member on how their setup was doing and they're enjoying it quite well.
depending on wheel size, members have been running 24-24.5 no problem (mostly on 19s)
you will get vibration every now and then for sure, doesn't matter which springs or coils
fsport springs won't eliminate the 4x4 wheel gap
that guy has h&r springs, so drops about 1.5x more in front and about 2x more in rear than fsport
Old 02-12-13, 01:20 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

lol good luck
Old 02-13-13, 09:09 AM
SeanO
Instructor

I'm probably going to go with coils.. as far as the ground to fender height goes.. my overall wheel diameter is 25 inches (stock 17's) so if i made my ground to fender height the same i'd be damn near sitting on my wheels haha I'm looking at lowering the car an inch and a half max so.. with the measurements i've taken that will close the wheel to fender gap quite nicely.. i have all the tools and everything for the job so if there is any noises or anything i'll be all over it like a fat kid on cake haha I will be sure to report my experience to the forums as i know this is a hot (and mysterious) topic!
Old 02-25-13, 03:35 PM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SeanO
I'm probably going to go with coils.. as far as the ground to fender height goes.. my overall wheel diameter is 25 inches (stock 17's) so if i made my ground to fender height the same i'd be damn near sitting on my wheels haha I'm looking at lowering the car an inch and a half max so.. with the measurements i've taken that will close the wheel to fender gap quite nicely.. i have all the tools and everything for the job so if there is any noises or anything i'll be all over it like a fat kid on cake haha I will be sure to report my experience to the forums as i know this is a hot (and mysterious) topic!
Have you finished installing? How does it look? ride quality, etc? any problem or vibration? i want to see pics!!!!
Old 02-28-13, 02:18 AM
morfhious3
Rookie

i did went with the the megan lp series for my awd.there will be slight vibration even its on 25" when on stop.so i lowered it a lil bit more and same vibration.been driving it since it was installed last june.no cv leaks and looks amazing compared to spring and the ride is more nicer than my stock spring.
Old 03-03-13, 08:01 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Originally Posted by mycholly
Have you finished installing? How does it look? ride quality, etc? any problem or vibration? i want to see pics!!!!
i have the coils on order now.. its starting to warm up a bit here in Toronto (Canada) so i'll be doing the install real soon.. i also ordered hid's for my lowbeams and fog lights which should be here by tomorrow so.. will post pics when the coils are installed for sure though.. rims will follow as it gets closer to spring/ summer
Old 03-03-13, 09:03 PM
FordGT08
Driver

Originally Posted by SeanO
i have the coils on order now.. its starting to warm up a bit here in Toronto (Canada) so i'll be doing the install real soon.. i also ordered hid's for my lowbeams and fog lights which should be here by tomorrow so.. will post pics when the coils are installed for sure though.. rims will follow as it gets closer to spring/ summer
What kind of coils did you order?
Old 03-03-13, 09:05 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

post up pictures when you are done

Quick Reply: Lowering IS250 awd