Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Worn Caster bushing cause vibrating steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 07:03 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worn Caster bushing cause vibrating steering wheel?

I just got a '99 GS300 with 153k miles on it and was inspecting the bushings/ inner/outer tie rods because of massive wheel vibration at around 70 mph. I replaced one outer tie rod due to torn boot and also noticed these bushings look worn. I believe these are caster bushings? Could they be the culprit of the wheel vibration? I had an alignment done last week.
Also, are there any kits available that have all front end bushings?

Old 09-06-12, 07:38 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking don't leave it on the lift or jackstand for too long. Its may getting worse

Originally Posted by speed3000g
I just got a '99 GS300 with 153k miles on it and was inspecting the bushings/ inner/outer tie rods because of massive wheel vibration at around 70 mph. I replaced one outer tie rod due to torn boot and also noticed these bushings look worn. I believe these are caster bushings? Could they be the culprit of the wheel vibration? I had an alignment done last week.

L-Tune @ Carson Toyota or Sewell Lexus both carry Polyurathene bushing if you can the road noise. Or stick with OEM part and its may last another 150K miles. There is a sticky post regarding caster pushing and plenty of post regarding this topic.
Old 09-07-12, 07:18 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Thanks, you're right there are too many threads on this topic. Wish we could consolidate it all into one thread with part #s, websites to get the parts and DIY links . I'll probably go with oem.
Old 09-07-12, 07:19 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Here you go

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

You will be surprise to see how the car handle after you replaced the Caster arm bushing. I just did mine about three weeks ago. Your mpg will increase as well.
Old 09-08-12, 03:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS714
Your mpg will increase as well.
lol, explain.....
Old 09-08-12, 08:29 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

You will be surprise to see how the car handle after you replaced the Caster arm bushing. I just did mine about three weeks ago. Your mpg will increase as well.
You Rock, thanks
Old 09-08-12, 09:22 AM
GS714
Pole Position

Default The car track much better than before

Originally Posted by sakataj
lol, explain.....
My car have the tendancy to drift the right and was really pulling to the right prior to the caster changed. It's was like 17-18 mpg city and 21-22 mpg on freeway. Now 20-21 city alone. The car seem to track much better than before. That is what the trip infor telling me. Anyway I just did a trip exactly 200 miles, 40/60 city/freeway. And am manually calculated on the 1st half of the tank. Maybe you know something that I don't

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...and-facts.html
Old 09-08-12, 01:34 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

My car have the tendancy to drift the right and was really pulling to the right prior to the caster changed. It's was like 17-18 mpg city and 21-22 mpg on freeway. Now 20-21 city alone. The car seem to track much better than before. That is what the trip infor telling me. Anyway I just did a trip exactly 200 miles, 40/60 city/freeway. And am manually calculated on the 1st half of the tank. Maybe you know something that I don't

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...and-facts.html
lol, no i dont know something different, i just didn't think about the car tracking the road differently as a form of gas mileage reduction. i was thinking you meant performance wise you would gain mileage which wouldn't be the case
Old 09-08-12, 11:27 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speed3000g

Um, yeah, that bushing is toast!! You'll be amazed at the difference once you have new ones on there.
Old 09-23-12, 07:51 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

so did you replace the caster bushings and did it help the vibration?
Old 09-23-12, 08:15 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did the poly's from sewell.

ur car will handle great, but if ur wheels are slightly out of balance or even a very slight bend in them, u will feel it more.

if u want the stock soft feel again, then go with oem.
Old 09-24-12, 02:37 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

If the car is stock I would recommend the OEM ones again, they last plenty long and ride fine.

If it is lowered then look at the poly or FIG spherical.
Old 09-25-12, 07:54 AM
AnimalB
Pole Position

I just replaced LBJ, UCA, LCA, Caster bushing, and tie rods. I also had my wheels straightened about 6 months ago.

My car has zero vibration at highway speeds. I could not pin point which one had the biggest impact because it was done all at one time.
Old 09-25-12, 01:32 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalB
I just replaced LBJ, UCA, LCA, Caster bushing, and tie rods. I also had my wheels straightened about 6 months ago.

My car has zero vibration at highway speeds. I could not pin point which one had the biggest impact because it was done all at one time.
Exactly right.

It's sometimes difficult to pin-point one main culprit because they all influence the vibration.

As an example, if your balance is a little off, but your bushings are all tight and in great shape, you might not feel anything. Take that same slightly off balance and combine it with a badly worn pair of caster bushings that aren't holding the alignment steady and now you might feel something that you didn't feel before.

I'm chasing a light vibe myself. I think mine is mostly attributed to slight play in the hubcentric rings on my hub, but I will be replacing the caster arm and rack bushings at the same time since they need it.
Old 09-25-12, 01:40 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Exactly right.

It's sometimes difficult to pin-point one main culprit because they all influence the vibration.

As an example, if your balance is a little off, but your bushings are all tight and in great shape, you might not feel anything. Take that same slightly off balance and combine it with a badly worn pair of caster bushings that aren't holding the alignment steady and now you might feel something that you didn't feel before.

I'm chasing a light vibe myself. I think mine is mostly attributed to slight play in the hubcentric rings on my hub, but I will be replacing the caster arm and rack bushings at the same time since they need it.
Other worn suspension parts not withstanding, replacing the caster arms alone makes a HUGE difference.

Quick Reply: Worn Caster bushing cause vibrating steering wheel?