Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeaking / Creaking coming from BC Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 03:21 PM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
If the ground is smooth and you get the squeaky noise, then it's sure isn't preload, especially if it's at low speed.
This is exactly when I hear the sound! At higher speeds, the road noise blocks the squeaking.

Originally Posted by KsportUSA
OP,

Did you figure out what was going on?
Not yet, although I didn't remove the coilovers to perform the maintenance that CircuitMS recommends.

All I've done is check that everything is tight and put my car on a lift to clean the coilovers while they were still on the car. While I was under the car, I also checked my exhaust and midpipe to make sure that the squeaking wasn't coming from there.

Coilovers are still squeaky.

Originally Posted by Touge
The problem is not pre-load for me. For the first 18k I had no noises and the pre-load was set between 2-3mm.

You can hear a sample of the sound here (not on a lexus, but maxima, but same sound) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro1alZFHPZ4

It's more of a rubber squeaky sound.
Fortunately, mine doesn't sound as bad as that video.

Tommy at Musicbox installed my coilovers, by the way.
Old 06-27-12, 12:58 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another sidenote- Coilovers are a Racing style suspension setup that does away with the isolation and "softness" of a stock suspension.

They will generate some noises and squeaks occasionally and over time. This is just the nature of the beast.
Old 06-30-12, 07:30 PM
Touge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB350
This is exactly when I hear the sound! At higher speeds, the road noise blocks the squeaking.

Not yet, although I didn't remove the coilovers to perform the maintenance that CircuitMS recommends.

All I've done is check that everything is tight and put my car on a lift to clean the coilovers while they were still on the car. While I was under the car, I also checked my exhaust and midpipe to make sure that the squeaking wasn't coming from there.

Coilovers are still squeaky.

Fortunately, mine doesn't sound as bad as that video.

Tommy at Musicbox installed my coilovers, by the way.
Well keep in mind in that video the noise sounds louder since the video is taken from outside the car. The IS is pretty well insulated so even in my car the noise is not that loud as in the video.

Perhaps I am expecting too much of these coil overs. Just was comparing them to my Japanese brands that I've used in the past with no issues or squeaks.
Old 07-02-12, 09:25 AM
KsportUSA
Driver

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Another sidenote- Coilovers are a Racing style suspension setup that does away with the isolation and "softness" of a stock suspension.

They will generate some noises and squeaks occasionally and over time. This is just the nature of the beast.
This is also true, putting stiffer suspension also can lead to you hearing noises from other suspension components.
Old 07-02-12, 09:44 AM
KsportUSA
Driver

Originally Posted by CircuitMS

This is also true, putting stiffer suspension also can lead to you hearing noises from other suspension components.
Old 10-01-12, 06:57 AM
gdinero
Rookie

I've started getting the creaking/groaning noises as well. Low speed, even payment ... when the car is cold ... is bad. Highway it all seems to go away. About 15K on the coilovers as well, installed ~April 2011.

It was pretty loud for me this morning. I don't know this for a fact, but was thinking that shifting from reverse to forward might be part of it, given that I've only noticed the noise for a few minutes after I start the car and am getting started on the commute.
Old 10-01-12, 08:47 AM
SB350
Instructor

^Yep, low speeds on even pavement is the only time when I would hear the squeaking...and going over speed bumps.

Somehow, after doing nothing at all to fix the noise, the squeaking went away. Maybe it's the warm California weather this summer, but I haven't heard anything in the last few months.
Old 10-01-12, 05:35 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Someone posted on another thread about this the other day saying something about the length of the endlinks and how when lowered 2"+ this affects it. Odd, I'm lowered near 3" all around and have no issues with the clunk noise.
Old 02-04-13, 08:07 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I'd like to add that my megan ez's never made a noise. And they were also rubber top mounts.
Sucks that these BCR's are having issues.
Old 02-11-13, 08:48 AM
gdinero
Rookie

Originally Posted by SB350
^Yep, low speeds on even pavement is the only time when I would hear the squeaking...and going over speed bumps.

Somehow, after doing nothing at all to fix the noise, the squeaking went away. Maybe it's the warm California weather this summer, but I haven't heard anything in the last few months.
Funny, same for me. Squeaking went away by itself. Weird.
Old 02-17-13, 04:15 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

bringing this back. I just got done installing BC coils. first test drive and clunk noise. unless theres a break in period.

As for the preload. i didnt do anything to the coil. installed it right out the box and the height was perfect. i didnt set the preload so i will have to do that to see if it eliminates the noise. I hear it on a smooth concrete so its not the bumps causing squeaks.

All the input is appreciated.
Old 02-17-13, 09:25 PM
MamadIS
Driver

good luck getting rid of the clunk noise. if you fix it let me know please. i am also experiencing squeaking noises at very low speeds, its not bad now.
Originally Posted by Offspring
bringing this back. I just got done installing BC coils. first test drive and clunk noise. unless theres a break in period.

As for the preload. i didnt do anything to the coil. installed it right out the box and the height was perfect. i didnt set the preload so i will have to do that to see if it eliminates the noise. I hear it on a smooth concrete so its not the bumps causing squeaks.

All the input is appreciated.
Old 02-17-13, 10:49 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I will. First I need to stop this rattle in my freaking sunroof due to the stiff ride
Old 02-18-13, 11:51 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

And people wonder why there are odd noises coming from their suspension. Set the preload properly, and you should be good. Installing right out of the box will not be 100% setup perfect for your car.

Preload setup note : Once the spring is tight up against the top mount, tighten the lower spring perch the width of the two supplied BC spaner wrenches.

GL!
Old 02-19-13, 08:53 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Haha I will set the preload this weekend though I don't think that is the cause of this noise. Will report back once it's been done