Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone done this brake TSB yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 02:57 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone done this brake TSB yet?

"Brakes - Front Brake Squeal/Squeak On Light Application L-SB-0011-11"?
Applicability

TSIB SUPERSESSION NOTICE

The information contained in this TSIB supersedes TSIB No. L-SB-0015-09.

^ Applicability has been updated to include applicable 2009 - 2011 model year GS and IS models.

^ The Repair Procedure has been updated. PLEASE READ ENTIRE TSIB.

TSIB No. L-SB-0015-09 is Obsolete and any printed versions should be discarded. Be sure to review the entire content of this service bulletin before proceeding.

Introduction

Some 2WD GS and IS vehicles may exhibit a squeal or squeak noise from the front of the vehicle when lightly applying the brakes. A new [...]
Old 04-19-12, 06:36 PM
kingCUONG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I may need this. I have a 2011 IS with only 8k miles and the brakes squeak sometimes. Where should I get this done at? I bought my car at a Toyota dealership. Should I bring it to them or bring it to a Lexus dealership.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/all...engineid=3930/

I was looking at the recalls for 2011's and it doesn't seem to show the one with brakes? What source did you use?
Old 04-19-12, 06:42 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they only applied to Is350's and gs350's..
Old 04-22-12, 04:39 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Bump, my dad was complaining about my squeaking brakes.

Does anyone have a link to the document. I tried to pull it up on safercar.gov but it's not showing this particular bulletin.

Thanks!!
Old 08-01-12, 10:17 AM
jordanko
Driver School Candidate

Default Just had it done

I had this same issue - squealing on light application and especially when the brakes were cold. I thought I just needed new pads and that it was the wear sensors. Seemed odd that it would only happen when cold and on light application, but my dealer kept trying to convince me that Lexus pads only last 15,000 - 30,000 miles.

I decided I would get the pads done at a different shop because I wasn't going to pay the dealer $299 to put new pads on, but I brought the car in for an oil change and wanted to find out which pads they "recommend" changing - just front or both axles. To my surprise, they said it was covered by TSIB L-SB-0011-11 and they changed the front pads, discs, and shims for free! I have to admit, it's the first time this dealer actually impressed me. Usually it's nothing but disappointment with these guys. Just picked my car up now and it's not squealing anymore. Let's see if it holds.
Old 01-14-13, 07:30 AM
drydeniv
Driver School Candidate

I bought a CPO GS 350 a few months ago that had about 21k miles on it, and I experienced this issue - the front brakes squealed on light application - I'd estimate about 85% of the time I drove the car, usually for short distances, but on some longer trips and random occasions it would eventually cease, but it was so frustrating!

I took my car to get checked out at a dealer in southern Miami and they assured me that it was moisture related, and just replace all of the brake pads (~ $700) even though they said that my brake pads had more than 75-80% of their life left! I even mentioned the TSIB number listed in this thread, but they essentially dismissed my complaint and were somewhat condescending in the process.

I bough the car up in Palm Beach, FL, so I decided to drive the 100 miles north to have them look at the brakes and to replace the peeling drainage moulding on the roof. After the long drive I couldn't get the brakes to squeal immediately before dropping the car off, but to my surprise they brought up the TSIB and replaced everything (front pads, rotos and shims) without any problem! I was quite impressed.

I just wanted to say that even on a nearly 3 year old car, this TSIB is still active.
Old 01-21-13, 05:14 AM
jordanko
Driver School Candidate

Default Miami

I'm in Miami too. Which dealers were involved so I know where to avoid and where to bring my car?
Old 02-28-13, 06:58 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanko
I had this same issue - squealing on light application and especially when the brakes were cold. I thought I just needed new pads and that it was the wear sensors. Seemed odd that it would only happen when cold and on light application, but my dealer kept trying to convince me that Lexus pads only last 15,000 - 30,000 miles.

I decided I would get the pads done at a different shop because I wasn't going to pay the dealer $299 to put new pads on, but I brought the car in for an oil change and wanted to find out which pads they "recommend" changing - just front or both axles. To my surprise, they said it was covered by TSIB L-SB-0011-11 and they changed the front pads, discs, and shims for free! I have to admit, it's the first time this dealer actually impressed me. Usually it's nothing but disappointment with these guys. Just picked my car up now and it's not squealing anymore. Let's see if it holds.
did you have to bring any document or just mention about the TSIB number to the dealer?
Old 03-01-13, 03:42 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drydeniv
I bought a CPO GS 350 a few months ago that had about 21k miles on it, and I experienced this issue - the front brakes squealed on light application - I'd estimate about 85% of the time I drove the car, usually for short distances, but on some longer trips and random occasions it would eventually cease, but it was so frustrating!

I took my car to get checked out at a dealer in southern Miami and they assured me that it was moisture related, and just replace all of the brake pads (~ $700) even though they said that my brake pads had more than 75-80% of their life left! I even mentioned the TSIB number listed in this thread, but they essentially dismissed my complaint and were somewhat condescending in the process.

I bough the car up in Palm Beach, FL, so I decided to drive the 100 miles north to have them look at the brakes and to replace the peeling drainage moulding on the roof. After the long drive I couldn't get the brakes to squeal immediately before dropping the car off, but to my surprise they brought up the TSIB and replaced everything (front pads, rotos and shims) without any problem! I was quite impressed.

I just wanted to say that even on a nearly 3 year old car, this TSIB is still active.
I'm assuming that you took it to Lexus of Palm Beach?

My '07 IS 250 AWD's brakes are squealing when coming to a stop when my speed is lower than 5mph. I can hear it when I drive in stop and go traffic in Boca and when I drive through the drive thru.

It's a little embarassing when I pull up to the drive thrus or guard houses.

Last edited by knguyenk; 03-01-13 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Adding info about my car's brakes.