Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replaced all 4 rotors today. Question about rubber piece in rotor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 04:57 AM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YviE
For the rears, make sure to loosen the parking brake, as it can make it impossible to take off the rotor. It should take no effort to take them off afterwards.

Don't hit it with a mallet, you may damage springs and cups that retain parking brake shoes.
LOL. Having the parking brake on, provided it is in working order, will make it impossible to remove the rotor!!!! To dis-engage it fully, you remove the grommet at the 6 o'clock position and using a flat head screwdriver turn the sprocket until the shoes are far enough away to release the rotor. You can tell it's loose by gently moving the rotor from side to side.

If the Rotor has been on the vehicle for a long period of time, rust forms between the hub and the rotor making it still difficult to remove. That's when you use an M8 bolt to easily break the rotor free from the hub - not a hammer.

Why is everyone just making this thread very long winded and repeating the same thing only twisting things around slightly in order to confuse people????

I'm getting annoyed because I have been reading HEAPS of misinformation on this forum in regards to brakes. It's a safety issue guys. If you ain't sure, seek pro assistance or leave it to the experts.

Chris
Old 09-02-12, 09:35 AM
drifting
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing rotors

Originally Posted by vwynn
what size bolt is that? i remember having one that fits but i forgot the size.
There are two holes on the inner motor , use a 10mm bolt . Just screw it in and the rotor will pop instantly. Don't use a hammer to remove. Good luck boys
Old 09-04-12, 05:43 AM
christodav
Driver

Originally Posted by drifting
There are two holes on the inner motor , use a 10mm bolt . Just screw it in and the rotor will pop instantly. Don't use a hammer to remove. Good luck boys
My Lord, did you just read what I wrote???

I confirmed that it is an M8 bolt. (10mm head.)

Chris
Old 09-05-12, 04:19 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

to each their own..i tried the bolt method years ago...went down to lowes and bought the bolt...but it didn't work....4lb hammer worked alot faster.
Old 09-06-12, 08:18 PM
squeaks638
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out my rears yesterday and they just fell off. no mallet needed
Old 09-07-12, 06:06 AM
christodav
Driver

Originally Posted by squeaks638
I changed out my rears yesterday and they just fell off. no mallet needed
COOL
Old 09-19-12, 10:33 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by

I got the brakes from ebay: [url
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390402517787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649[/url]

On another note- How are you rotors holding up so far?? I am REAL pissed I didn't go with Brakemotive's rotors! (THEY ARE MADE IN THE SAME FACTORY AS 'POWERSTOP/POWERSLOT ROTORS' ARE MADE- but the price is much better from this seller) What a deal !

I bought some other brand- b/c I liked the look of the slots better (they looked more 'high-end'...or like Stop-Tech's or Brembo's REAL-DEAL BBK's...

They are HORRIBLE compared to the rotors you got. (my dad put them on his Jeep- and they're not even getting orange or discolored where the PADS rub! They're STILL shiny silver...and have been for months...Crazy)

I found out AFTER I ordered and received mine- that I could opted to have them Zinc-coated for an extra $35. REALLY wish I knew that..instead I painted them with high-heat Brake paint and let my new $190+ EBC Redstuff pads take the paint off, where the pads rubbed.

BEFORE - 11.65" front rotors, with Floating, 2-piston calipers.

AFTER - 12.4" front rotors, with Fixed, 4-piston calipers!
Attached Thumbnails Replaced all 4 rotors today. Question about rubber piece in rotor-dscn1566.jpg   Replaced all 4 rotors today. Question about rubber piece in rotor-dscn1598.jpg   Replaced all 4 rotors today. Question about rubber piece in rotor-dscn1577.jpg   Replaced all 4 rotors today. Question about rubber piece in rotor-dscn1597.jpg  
Old 09-19-12, 10:36 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could've just avoided having to 'TRY' to keep the bogus rotors that I bought from corroding, by buying these ones!

Oh well... I might seriusly replace all four next summer and throw these rotors in the garbage...lol
(but because of how they look...up close, particularly)
Attached Thumbnails Replaced all 4 rotors today. Question about rubber piece in rotor-brakemotive-rotor-.png