Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Soft Brakes on IS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 08:43 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Brakes on IS350

I recently drove my brother's IS350 and noticed his brakes seemed much firmer than mine. So I thought my brake pads were needing to be replaced as I had over 30,000 miles on them. When I pulled the tire off to replace the pads, it looked like I still had plenty of life left on the brakes. I also checked the brake fluid reservoir and it was right on the nose. Any suggestions? I had the brake lines flushed about 25,000 miles back. Do you think having this done again would make any difference?
Old 03-30-12, 05:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Any chance he had the high-dust pads and you have the low dust ones?

There's a significant difference in "feel" between the two- though of course they both still actually stop the car in exactly the same distance.
Old 03-30-12, 12:35 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Any chance he had the high-dust pads and you have the low dust ones?

There's a significant difference in "feel" between the two- though of course they both still actually stop the car in exactly the same distance.
Yeah, that's gonna be the reason. I went through the same thing myself on my 350; had high-dust pads on originally, but replaced them with lower dust StopTech Streets. Pad "feel" is definitely not as firm, and I personally do not like it one bit. Once to replace the fronts again, I'm getting Axxis ULTs.
Old 03-30-12, 05:42 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

He definitely has the high dust ones because he complains about the dust all the time. I'm not sure what's on mine as they were replaced by the dealership when I purchased the car in '10. I ordered the replacement pads off of Sewell not that long ago and I believe they are the high dust pads. Maybe I'll change them out anyhow and see if it makes a difference.
Old 03-30-12, 07:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by anthrax144
He definitely has the high dust ones because he complains about the dust all the time. I'm not sure what's on mine as they were replaced by the dealership when I purchased the car in '10. I ordered the replacement pads off of Sewell not that long ago and I believe they are the high dust pads. Maybe I'll change them out anyhow and see if it makes a difference.
If you clean your front wheels and then drive the car for 2 days, and the wheels are filthy black, you have the high dust pads.

If after 2 days the wheels still look pretty much the same as when you cleaned them, you have the low dust pads.
Old 04-02-12, 01:09 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If what you're referring to is less pedal travel and firmer feel when stopped then it could be your rear caliper slide pins beginning to seize up.

Using low dust pads requires more pedal effort to slow down the car, as with higher friction pads less effort is required. Sure they both stop the car at the same time if you lock up the wheels but each one has different characteristics for slowing down without the intention of coming to a complete stop.

In any case I urge you to look at your rear calipers slide pins to determine wether they're moving fluidly or are pretty much just stuck and the piston is doing extra work to compensate for the lock up.
Old 04-02-12, 05:42 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you clean your front wheels and then drive the car for 2 days, and the wheels are filthy black, you have the high dust pads.

If after 2 days the wheels still look pretty much the same as when you cleaned them, you have the low dust pads.
In that case, I definitely have the low dust pads. You're making me rethink changing my pads early to the high-dust pads. Any recommendations? I know you can order the low-dust pads from Sewell for around $75 but are there other low-dust options?
Old 04-02-12, 05:42 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XhyDra
If what you're referring to is less pedal travel and firmer feel when stopped then it could be your rear caliper slide pins beginning to seize up.

Using low dust pads requires more pedal effort to slow down the car, as with higher friction pads less effort is required. Sure they both stop the car at the same time if you lock up the wheels but each one has different characteristics for slowing down without the intention of coming to a complete stop.

In any case I urge you to look at your rear calipers slide pins to determine wether they're moving fluidly or are pretty much just stuck and the piston is doing extra work to compensate for the lock up.
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look this next weekend.
Old 04-02-12, 07:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by anthrax144
In that case, I definitely have the low dust pads. You're making me rethink changing my pads early to the high-dust pads. Any recommendations? I know you can order the low-dust pads from Sewell for around $75 but are there other low-dust options?
Price on the low dust pads changed to $40 recently... can't think of any reason to use anything else at that price