Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC Brake booster delete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 11:29 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC Brake booster delete?

So I've seen a few members delete abs\trac and I知 in for that project very soon and trying to get some thoughts and opinions about that and delete the brake booster. While I知 there working with the brake system, I thought about deleting the brake booster to free up some space for the FFIM but want to see what you SC dudes think about this.

Chase bays have a master cylinder for the booster delete along with a wilwood proportioning valve. They claim the only noticeable difference you will have is a stiffer pedal feel. For me, don稚 really care since my SC is for all track\drift and no daily driving, besides driving to local meets and what not on Friday nights. I know manual brakes are a beezzy to stop but with the portioning valve and the CB master cylinder, it all don稚 sound too bad.

What do you all think? I知 out for giving it a try and if it痴 too bad, I'll just put the booster back on. Oh and I plan on putting a hydro rear hand brake.

Here are the links of what I plan to use for this delete.
Standard Hard lines from O'reilys or -3an hose
Proportioning Valve:
http://www.chasebays.com/product/toy...rtioning-valve
Master cylinder:
http://www.chasebays.com/product/uni...ter-eliminator
hydro hand brake:
http://www.chasebays.com/product/toy...402-hand-brake

I will post pics when I make the decision to get everything.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-12, 12:08 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

its your car, you decide.. your brakes are going to be stupid hard and the car is pretty big so i dono if thats very smart.. are you going for a stupid crazy tucked engine bay with nothing but the engine showing and tucked engine and bay harness no brake lines showing just straight up empty? if not thats a big waste of time and money.. its your car, if you like it do it. i dont think the car will be fun to drive without that and a pain in the ***, and one more thing if you mess up doing your brakes and you loose your brakes thats a life or death situation dont do something if you have no clue what you are doing..
Old 02-01-12, 01:21 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Thing is I know what im doing and im just seeing if anyone else has done this or driven a SC with out a booster and what they think about it.. thats all. look at my build in my sig.. does it look like I dont know what im doing? just saying

I've read up that it doesnt make much difference beside a stiffer brake pedal feel if you set it up correctly and bleed the brakes properly it works almost like stock. My car is also gutted and not much in it.
Old 02-01-12, 02:53 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well coming from manual brake experience.. youll get used to them. i feel as if they are a lot more predictable and if thats what you want do it! id suggest a BBK(ls400/supra TT). i had a fully built ranger prerunner(5.8L v8, full cage, 4 link, 35's) **** weighed in around 4100lbs and i had manual brakes. CNC brand. driving it on the streets wasnt too bad.
Old 02-01-12, 02:58 PM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the input. I do actually have LS400 fronts TT rears for brakes.. Anyone else?
Old 03-06-12, 08:51 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

bumping this up cuz im actually getting started on this and going to give it a try. I know everyone thinks deleteing the booster is a bad idea but its been done before with almost s OEM results. I like being different and doing something new for the SC.

Cerrently making an adapter plate for the master cylinder to firewall. Here's a pics of the MC and prop. valve.
Attached Thumbnails SC Brake booster delete?-img_0873.jpg  

Last edited by 8052JZ; 03-06-12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-06-12, 06:44 PM
Rookie

good luck. Ive driven old school cars with out boosters they stop just fine. Just be safe.
Old 03-07-12, 01:18 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey man!!! Show the way. I wanna know how it goes. I track my car. Im fixing to finish up my 355 stoptech's on the front. I have a friend of mine that has some plans on doing ISF rotors on the rears of a SC or Supra. Using supra rear calipers, but building a spacer for the middle of the caliper. Then brackets excepting a 345 rear rotor. This could be the new mod. Umm... Yall know how i MAKE stuff... lol...
Old 03-07-12, 08:29 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

sounds interesting^^ ill be looking into that and contacting you about it in the near future BTW i also just got your RSB lastnight.. looks great and cant wait to get it installed!

In the mean time, my grandpa is going to machine the adapter plate for the MC to firewall, along with the a extension for the pedal to MC clip thing.. not sure what its called lol.... It should be done this week as its pretty simple. Until than...... stay tooned
Old 03-07-12, 09:06 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Ive seen some good things on the build there. Im still confused on what you hope to accomplish other than deleting the booster to be different. It doesnt look like youre having clearance issues with your Intake Manifold. What do you hope to gain by doing this setup?
Old 03-07-12, 11:07 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DLA-USA
Ive seen some good things on the build there. Im still confused on what you hope to accomplish other than deleting the booster to be different. It doesnt look like youre having clearance issues with your Intake Manifold. What do you hope to gain by doing this setup?
Well actually, I do have small issues with the intake manifold slightly hitting the booster. The way It was made, the manifold is a tad bit too long and it痴 also a pita to get the intake mani off and on as it hits the booster on the way down and up when removing/installing the mani. If I grind down that area, I still think it will not be enough and might make the aluminum material wall real thin and may cause leaks down the road, so I知 avoiding that. I also take into consideration when revving the motor, I bet it will rub up against the booster and I don稚 like that lol

Not only will it clean up the bay, it痴 something that hasn稚 been done to the sc and it would be cool to test and try this out and see what happens. I guess I'm trying to "gain" clearance for the intake mani, a super clean bay, get the same functionality as factory for braking and just because I am curious to find out if this will work lol.
Old 03-09-12, 08:30 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Got the adapter plate lastnight and it looks real good. I still need to find some bolts for it which I hope to locate this weekend than check the fitment to the brake pedal.

You can see an extension was made for the OEM pedal adapter thing because the wilwood MC is a little to short compared to the brake booster, about 1inch. This also alows me to adjust it like factory.
Attached Thumbnails SC Brake booster delete?-img_0883.jpg   SC Brake booster delete?-img_0884.jpg   SC Brake booster delete?-img_0887.jpg  
Old 08-24-12, 07:06 PM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey how did this thread end up.
Old 08-28-12, 01:29 PM
1uzSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVS374
Hey how did this thread end up.
Lol they didnt have the factory feel.
Old 09-12-12, 08:59 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

I had some setbacks on my project so it’s kind of on hold at the moment. But I do have all the lines fittings to make this setup work. Just simply don’t have the time to do it at the moment. I am actually planning and designing a full chromoly cage with a friend of mine for the car so that’s what the holdup is. Won’t be for a few months until I get the project back on track

Quick Reply: SC Brake booster delete?