Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Another Converted L-Tuned Customer - Comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 08:43 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No you weren't the only one..

I used them to buy a passenger door mirror...

WORST LEXUS CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE!

Never again!
Old 11-12-02, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by lexguynj
Am I the only member on here that has used our sponsor, Lexus of Manhattan so far?
Well I bought a RX300 roof rack from them. No problems.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-12-02 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 11:37 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cliff, just remember what I said about the tires..Because the tires have so much higher a tread rating as a lot of other tires, it will fill up the fenderwell more than a similar high performance tire with a lower treadwear.

I will hopefully be driving my '01 GS in the next few weeks.. I'm contemplating on what size tire to upgrade to. I'm keeping my Mille Miglia HT3's, most probably will sell it, will know for sure tomorrow. I'm going to do a search in a second, but what sizes do you guys typically go with for an upgrade from 16 to 17, or 16 to 18's? Based on my information, going from the stock 215/60/16 on my GS3 to the 235/45/17's on the tires/wheels now throws off the speedo significantly, which is why I don't want to put the 17's I have on it. I got used to, and like the Pilot Sport A/S's, so i'll get them again. I guess Lexus does more than just swap wheels when some GS4's come with 16's and some with 17's. Tirerack's recommendations are 225/50/17. I like that, because it's a thicker sidewall(less chance of bending rims, something i'm dreading very much), but I think a 245/45/17 sounds more attractive. If not that, a 235/45/18 looks ok too..So how far off am I?
Ed
Old 11-13-02, 07:12 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lexus of Manhattan
Cliff, just remember what I said about the tires..Because the tires have so much higher a tread rating as a lot of other tires, it will fill up the fenderwell more than a similar high performance tire with a lower treadwear.

I will hopefully be driving my '01 GS in the next few weeks.. I'm contemplating on what size tire to upgrade to. I'm keeping my Mille Miglia HT3's, most probably will sell it, will know for sure tomorrow. I'm going to do a search in a second, but what sizes do you guys typically go with for an upgrade from 16 to 17, or 16 to 18's? Based on my information, going from the stock 215/60/16 on my GS3 to the 235/45/17's on the tires/wheels now throws off the speedo significantly, which is why I don't want to put the 17's I have on it. I got used to, and like the Pilot Sport A/S's, so i'll get them again. I guess Lexus does more than just swap wheels when some GS4's come with 16's and some with 17's. Tirerack's recommendations are 225/50/17. I like that, because it's a thicker sidewall(less chance of bending rims, something i'm dreading very much), but I think a 245/45/17 sounds more attractive. If not that, a 235/45/18 looks ok too..So how far off am I?
Ed
Ed,

You're right about this tire's beefyness and filling up the fender wall. With my stock 17 rims these tires are perfect. By filling up the fender wall a bit more and the combination of my car already lowered via the L-Tuned shocks and spring install, they look more normal now. I think with some 18's in there, the car would look perfect. I am one of the fans of this tire and it's beefyness!

Congrats on your upcoming GS purchase and I am sure you are very excited about that! As you know the stock 17" rims run a tire size of 235/45/17 (it took me 3 months to get this size in the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S due to backorder issues). I think they are more readily available now, since the backorder is shipping and I have my tires installed already.

I'd say go with 18's and my fellow CL members on here can tell you what is the best combination and the way to go. I want to eventually go this route too, but have to find the funds to do it. I like the L-Sportline rims of course. Keep us updated and post photos when you have the car!
Old 11-16-02, 03:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by lexguynj

RNM GS3,

You've got to do it. It took me long enough to actually get my butt off the ground to do it and I am very happy with the results.

I had mine done by Lexus of Manhattan, one of the sponsors on this site.

Beware, when the car is lowered, you're just feeling that you have to get larger than 17" rims to make it look right, so the mods are just beginning!

Am I the only member on here that has used our sponsor, Lexus of Manhattan so far?

I actually already put 18in rims on my car, thats why i need to lower it badly as soon as possible.

Im still thinking what to do. I might get the parts from LOM and then install it at my shop. There is no way im paying 7 hours in labor for installation.
Old 11-17-02, 06:41 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Well, one thing about our dealership is that the service/parts department is run by a union(unfortunately). I'm in the sales department, and all the information that I give regarding parts and service is from them. I did ask the service dispatcher, and that's what he told me. I will speak to them again to see if there's something we can do about the labor times.
On a side note, I'm not too sure how mechanically inclined you are, but I've installed springs/shocks/sways on so many cars, you would thing that I can do it in seconds. It still takes quite a few hours to install successfully. I plan on modding my GS when I get it, and although I have the facilities to do it at the dealership, i'll be doing it myself in my own garage, only because I say "Knowledge is power".
Eddie
Old 11-17-02, 08:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus of Manhattan
Well, one thing about our dealership is that the service/parts department is run by a union(unfortunately). I'm in the sales department, and all the information that I give regarding parts and service is from them. I did ask the service dispatcher, and that's what he told me. I will speak to them again to see if there's something we can do about the labor times.
On a side note, I'm not too sure how mechanically inclined you are, but I've installed springs/shocks/sways on so many cars, you would thing that I can do it in seconds. It still takes quite a few hours to install successfully. I plan on modding my GS when I get it, and although I have the facilities to do it at the dealership, i'll be doing it myself in my own garage, only because I say "Knowledge is power".
Eddie
I know you probably have nothing to do with the prices or the amount of labor hours it takes to install parts. Im not blaming you or anybody else at LOM. If thats the price then then thats what it is. I never dealt with LOM before therefore I cant comment on ur service.

To be honest with u, Im not mechanically inclined. I never changed springs or shocks on my cars before. The only reason I stated why I feel 7 hours for the install is too much is because of talking to people who have installed the Ltuned package and from reading many posts on Clublexus and seeing how many hours it took their dealership to do it.

Anyway I appreciate the discount that LOM provides to clublexus members. If I do decide to upgrade to ltuned, I will most likely buy the parts from them, as far as the installation thats a different story.
Old 07-08-05, 03:21 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Lexguynj,
Congrats on the mod. Just like you, I never thought I'd mod my car but getting pretty tired of the float of the ride. I'm thinking of getting l-tuned S/S. However, I sometimes haul buddies (4-5 peoplr in the car) and wondering if there's any problem (tire rubbing, etc) with that lower stance? Do you have any inputs on this? Also, I assume you'd have to get an alignment after having l-tuned installed. With the 1" drop will you still be within spec? I wouldn't want to have my tires wear out unevenly, which will reduce their life span. Last, do any of you know how long do the l-tuned S/S are suppose to last?
Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by blue99GS4; 07-08-05 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-08-05, 04:46 PM
gawd
Pole Position

Don't mean to be rude, but this thread is almost 3 years old. You might want to do a search for more current posts. I have the L-tuned S/S setup and it doesn't rub even with 5 people in the car, but you will need an alignment after the install. Good luck.
Old 07-08-05, 05:10 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Well,
It works doesn't it? you responded didn't you? (kidding, he he). Thanks for pointing out, I'm new to this forum obiviously. I do appreciate you input though. It's good to know that you can have 5 people in the car. Do you have any uneven wear on your tires? Also, how long have you had them? I'll do more reasearch but it's always good to get input from the people who actually have them.
Thanks.
Old 07-08-05, 10:03 PM
gawd
Pole Position

That's a healthy way to deal with criticism, there's a search button on the upper tool bar. Good luck.
Old 07-09-05, 05:45 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blue99GS4
Lexguynj,
Congrats on the mod. Just like you, I never thought I'd mod my car but getting pretty tired of the float of the ride. I'm thinking of getting l-tuned S/S. However, I sometimes haul buddies (4-5 peoplr in the car) and wondering if there's any problem (tire rubbing, etc) with that lower stance? Do you have any inputs on this? Also, I assume you'd have to get an alignment after having l-tuned installed. With the 1" drop will you still be within spec? I wouldn't want to have my tires wear out unevenly, which will reduce their life span. Last, do any of you know how long do the l-tuned S/S are suppose to last?
Thanks a bunch.
Hello Blue99GS4,

Wow this is a blast from the past, since I sold my GS over 2 years ago!

As I recall the vehicle is definitely lowered and looks great. I have had clients in the back seat, 3 in the back and 1 in the front and had no issues about rubbing due to the weight.

I also have to be honest with you, after spending this much money for this upgrade, I did notice the difference in handling, but not by much. I guess for the money I paid for these L-Tuned upgrades, I was looking for a significant difference. I still firmly believe that the money you pay for a GS430, this should all be included. I'm sure the new GS430 will be much better.

If you want tight steering and great handling, you still have to go with a BMW.
Old 07-11-05, 10:10 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for your inputs. A lower stance and little more handling improvement may just be what I'm looking for. I do enjoy the soft ride on long trips. I'll be doing more research...