Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ABS/TRAC Delete: Sizing Information for SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 08:52 PM
bmsc300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/TRAC Delete: Sizing Information for SS Brake Lines

Thanks to Lex_Man for his original thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-gun-down.html

I finished installing my custom stainless steel braided teflon brake lines today, moving my ABS/TRAC delete project to within one step of being complete (just have to bleed the lines now.)

I used a pair of tees salvaged from two 93-96 Corollas (per Lex_Man's advice) and modified them to fit close to the firewall on a screw mount that used to be for the old steel brake lines.

NOTE 1 - My lines are slightly longer for some of the lengths listed below. I have given modified lengths for the sake of appearance, to get rid of some of the slop.
NOTE 2 - I had to bend the right side tee to about 45 degrees from the bolt mount in order to clear the curve of the firewall (see pics below for better explanation.)
NOTE 3 - I used the Left-hand tee for the Front calipers, and the Right-hand Tee for the Rear brakes
NOTE 4 - The front socket of the Brake Master Cylinder goes to the Right-hand Tee, the rear socket goes to the Left-hand tee.
NOTE 5 - I installed the brake lines into the pair of tees PRIOR to bolting the tees to the firewall. I think it was much easier this way.

For those of you doing this to your 92-94 SC300, here is the sizing and fitting angle information for the stainless lines:

1. Brake Master Cylinder Rear socket to Left (FRONTS) Tee - 12" line with one 45deg fitting (Master Cylinder end) and one 90 deg Fitting (Tee end)

2. Brake Master Cylinder Front socket to Right (REARS) Tee - 12" line with one 45deg fitting (Master Cylinder end) and one 90 deg Fitting (Tee end)

3. Front Right, Tee (side outlet of Left-hand Tee) to Caliper - 50" line with one 90deg fitting and one straight fitting

4. Front Left, Tee (bottom outlet of Left-hand Tee) to Caliper - 24" line with one 90deg fitting and one straight fitting

5. Rear 1* - 12" line with two 90 deg fittings (use this line for the side outlet of the Right-hand Tee)

6. Rear 2 - 13" line with one 90 deg fitting (Coupling end) and one straight fitting (use this line for the bottom outlet of the Tee)

*Note that I call the Rears 1 and 2, because they each connect to a coupling at the bottom of the firewall. If you choose to do the optimal thing and run stainless hoses all the way to the rear calipers, then your Rear sizes will be many feet longer each. I'm doing it this way for the time being for simplicity's sake, and then later I'll replace the short lines with continuous hoses all the way from the tee in the front to the calipers in the rear. If you do it the way I did, the lengths given will work.

Photos:

Here's a shot of the corolla tees (before I painted them to match the engine bay) that I Frankenstein'd together using my bench grinder and vise:

Note that I bent the right side tee at about 45 degrees to clear the curve of the firewall.

These sizes may also work for other years of SC300/400. I can't say for sure since I haven't been under the hood of any other model variants.

Last edited by bmsc300; 07-18-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 10:45 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great man!!! Good job!!!
Old 07-12-11, 11:28 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

hmmm I am thinking of deleting my ABS as well. I have run into issues during my swap and taking my sweet *** time so maybe just add this one. My ABS unit is already out as I painted the engine bay.
Old 07-12-11, 08:07 PM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by ICONYQ
hmmm I am thinking of deleting my ABS as well. I have run into issues during my swap and taking my sweet *** time so maybe just add this one. My ABS unit is already out as I painted the engine bay.
If you are ever going to do it, now is the time. Once your new engine is in, it's a pain in the *** to do it.
Old 07-15-11, 08:01 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post a pic. of all the old parts. The acumalator looking thing below my master cyl. has to go. Is the ABS/TRAC. the same on an SC?
Old 07-18-11, 07:27 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by over40driv
Can you post a pic. of all the old parts. The acumalator looking thing below my master cyl. has to go. Is the ABS/TRAC. the same on an SC?
You should have nothing left when you're done removing lines except for the master cylinder and brake booster pressure line (top picture above.) You'll have to remove all 8 brake lines going to and from the ABS unit(s). The front port on the brake master cylinder is for the rear brakes, the rear port (closest to the firewall) is for the front brakes. You have the choice between stainless braided, or just regular steel lines. You can get the steel lines with 10mmx1.0 fittings with concave inverted flare of various lengths from certain auto parts stores. Out here some of the Auto Zones and Advance Auto Parts sell premade flared lines with fittings already on them. Just make sure they're 10mm 1.0 fittings.

Looks like you have an sc400. While the parts may be different, the concept is the same. Remove everything that the brake lines connect to except for the brake master cylinder. Then run the new lines to tee splitters, as described above. However, you also may have to remove the ABS/TRAC fuse box and ECUs related to both systems.
Old 10-02-11, 12:24 PM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

Definitely loving this mod. Cleans up the engine bay so nicely this will be on the to do list over the winter. My abs sensors went bad 2 weeks after I bought my sc and abs hasn't worked in about 2 years. So ill take the cleanliness and the weight reduction. Great job.
Old 10-02-11, 05:23 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

So why is there no need for a proportioning valve?
Old 10-02-11, 05:33 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Also if the rear section of the master cyl. is for the front, why is mine dry and I have rear brake line leaking?
Old 12-17-11, 01:24 AM
poorsupra
Pole Position

quick question, was there a reason why you mounted the T's in that location? for the front i could see that being okay, however for the rear wouldnt one long line to the rear then split closer to the differential area be easier? like this ( I------- )
Old 12-19-11, 08:34 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by poorsupra
quick question, was there a reason why you mounted the T's in that location? for the front i could see that being okay, however for the rear wouldnt one long line to the rear then split closer to the differential area be easier? like this ( I------- )
The only reason to run one long line to the rear is if you plan on replacing the two brake lines that run from the firewall back right now. I didn't want to go through all that just yet, but if you choose to do it then yes, you could run one line with a tee at the rear of the car to the calipers. That is the better way to do it, but I did it this way for now.
Old 12-19-11, 08:35 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

So why is there no need for a proportioning valve?
The proportioning function is built in to the master cylinder.
Old 12-19-11, 08:38 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Also if the rear section of the master cyl. is for the front, why is mine dry and I have rear brake line leaking?
The fluid that is still in the lines may be leaking out. I can't think of any other explanation.
Old 12-27-11, 09:29 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bmsc300
The only reason to run one long line to the rear is if you plan on replacing the two brake lines that run from the firewall back right now. I didn't want to go through all that just yet, but if you choose to do it then yes, you could run one line with a tee at the rear of the car to the calipers. That is the better way to do it, but I did it this way for now.
ohh i see the light! you used the stock hard lines that the trac/abs used that go to each individual caliper! where did you source your lines?
Old 01-02-12, 09:34 AM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by poorsupra
ohh i see the light! you used the stock hard lines that the trac/abs used that go to each individual caliper! where did you source your lines?
I got mine from a mediocre company who took forever to get my order right, communicated poorly, and pissed me off more than once. The lines were somewhere around $120 for everything, if I remember correctly, but don't quote me on that number. Their crappy website is http://www.bakerprecision.com/

Quick Reply: ABS/TRAC Delete: Sizing Information for SS Brake Lines