Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

suspension noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 11:35 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have an answer for this but would like to know what can cause this.

I have the same "CLUNKING" noise for almost 3 years now, ever since I dropped the car on coilovers. Its annoying as hell. My remedy for the time being is-roll the windows up and bump up the music when driving over them rough roads.

The clunking noise sounds like a suspension component is loose. Lemme know if you figure this out.
Old 09-11-11, 02:46 PM
reegeemon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...still noisy. lexus no help.
...will continue the quest !
any help appreciated !
Old 09-11-11, 03:16 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like you need to check your exhaust also, might be loose bolt, or not bolted at all somewhere....
Old 09-11-11, 05:06 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked all my bolts in the front (and I mean every single one suspension related, including motor mounts).

If they aren't at the proper torque, you'll get noises, 90% of mine went away with proper torque specs on the bolts.

The brakes I think a lot of people shrug off and do the "that'll work, tight enough" method but it's a floating caliper, I noticed after torquing it to the 25 FTLB of tq they are supposed to be at my brakes are MUCH better and no noise now.
Old 09-27-11, 02:57 PM
luckysr
Driver School Candidate

same here stiffen my coils and now i get the same noise would like to know what is it ????
Old 09-27-11, 07:06 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

u got new shock mounts? or solid tophats? if its new or super stiff it does that.. my coils do that sometimes..
Old 09-27-11, 08:55 PM
nemisonic
Driver School Candidate

Arrow clunking noise over bumps

I'm in a '94 SC400 with 300k, which had a problem that sounds exactly like this. Maybe this will help:

In my case it was the upper control arms in the front. The bushings were worn out (completely shot). If you read up on the Australian SC site "Planet Soarer," they have an excellent explanation and a source for replacement bushings ("bushes") and the manufacturer ships to the US.

Link to control arm bushing post on Planet Soarer (sc400 = Soarer overseas):
http://planetsoarer.com/upperbushes/upperbushes.htm

I agree you might need to replace the two engine mounts and trans mount. This shows a broken mount example:
http://planetsoarer.com/enginemounts/enginemounts.htm

Good luck!

Last edited by nemisonic; 09-27-11 at 08:56 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 11-03-11, 05:05 PM
portion
Rookie

Is it just one side? or the both sides?
i have the same problem, but on my passenger side only.
I havent taken a look through at it yet. But if its not my sway bar end link it would be more ball joint because i know that side boot is torn.

Please let me know if u found the problem.
Old 11-03-11, 06:55 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I dont have an answer for this but would like to know what can cause this.

I have the same "CLUNKING" noise for almost 3 years now, ever since I dropped the car on coilovers. Its annoying as hell. My remedy for the time being is-roll the windows up and bump up the music when driving over them rough roads.

The clunking noise sounds like a suspension component is loose. Lemme know if you figure this out.
^^This.

My Soarer has developed a distinct clunk from the left-rear corner over very harsh road surfaces only. I've been through everything myself, have had my shop go through everything in case I missed something, ensured significant bolts are correctly torqued, and am stumped - as nothing is physically loose in the rear suspension that I can determine. The car has HKS coilovers with solid top hats.

My SC400 developed the same clunk from the right-rear corner 8 months after I installed my H&R coilovers. What's interesting is that these coilovers re-use the OEM top hats. The clunking went away when I put the stock suspension back in.

This leads me to establish:

1) It's not coming from the upper-mounting area because it occurs with both stock and aftermarket top hats.
2) The noise isn't a blown shock absorber because the rear (H&R) coilovers were as-new when they came out of the car. There's no evidence of leaking on the HKS's either.

Still no answer, does anyone else have some input on what might be the culprit?

Last edited by SC_coupe; 11-03-11 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 08:59 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

one of my sc's used to make noise too... i replaced the subframe... NOT the cross member but the subframe. its aluminum and can easily bend by just lowering ur car it adds weight to this crappy subframe. its made out of aluminum for weight purpose but it is very fragile. anyhow when i replaced mine and torqued the new one to specs the noise went away.

on the car i could not tell it was bent... but once i compared it side by side with the new one the fins were bent probably from scrapping on something.. or maybe just from the added tension from dropping the car

edit: iirc there are actually ppl that have tried to reinforce th is part
Old 11-04-11, 01:36 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

if you are running coilovers.. check to make sure the NUT that bolts the shock to the top hat (where the adjustment **** is located) is tight. These sometimes come loose creating that "CLUNK" sound.

should do the trick on regular suspension as well.. possible spring not seated correctly??

Last edited by Luv2xl; 11-04-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 12:28 PM
carguychar
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Clunk ?

I have the same clunk, everyone has good suggestions, But I 've yet to find anyone with the answer. Please let me know if you fin it. It's a shame, nice car great driving, but no one can find this clunk !!!
Old 11-08-11, 01:01 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

I too have gone through this twice now .After installing Megan street coils the clunking was from the front upper bushings(replaced with Daizen upper/lower arms).Then the rear started clinking-clink--clinking on both sides and to my amazement it was coming from the top of the coilovers which I've done what I can and just lived with it.Now it's starting up front on driver side and it sounds worse then before going over bumpy roads and I can't figure it out.I really hope you find an answer soon man,I know how annoying it can be to pour all this money/work into these and things it never seem to work or run right .
Old 11-08-11, 01:17 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Well I can tell you for sure, that 90% of people's coil overs I've seen are riding on the shock and not the spring - which is wrong.

The cheapo ring they put in between the springs doesn't help at all, I think it should be a thicker polyurethane version to absorb more impact and spring noise.

The clunk is a pillow ball mount, surely someone somewhere has to tried to upgrade the pillow ball mount to make it quieter?
Old 05-23-12, 07:09 PM
BradHoff
Driver

Ive had my coilovers for about 3 months now and i recently got the "clunk". It is coming from the front right corner/tire and its only noticable when im on harshish roads. Im on Megan EZ coilovers and their was no clunk when I first installed them, only after i got low and whatnot. wondering if ANYONE has found a definitive solution to the clunk yet???

Quick Reply: suspension noises