Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SHAKES _ YES I have read numerous threads...(diff type question tho)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 03:19 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SHAKES _ YES I have read numerous threads...(diff type question tho)

Backstory, Syracuse, NY got snow tires because my car was lowered and never aligned. Got the alignment at the same time snow tires were put on. They did as good as they could they said. Car drove like a champ etc, out of nowhere about 2-3 weeks later (numerous storms, ice on wheels, snow etc) car started to shake at about 65-70... wheels out of balance? bring in to diff shop that did wheels and alignment prev. they called said everything looks good but the wheels were out of balance (how????) so they said they balanced em and it should be all good. I got the car back tonight and immediately I felt the shakes much worse at lower speeds than prev. And I mean 20-30mph range. Brakes and Pads are basically new as well as new alignment and new snow tires (blizzaks) what should I do at this point? I called the shop and they want me to bring it back in. Idk I give up
Old 01-03-11, 03:38 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U might have a bubble in one of your tires. That's where my shakes came from.
Old 01-03-11, 03:39 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

thanks, is it pretty noticeable? did u have the shakes at those speeds? for what its worth i think they filled them with nitrogen. joints have less than 500 miles on em
Old 01-03-11, 04:04 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Probably not your case but about a month ago it was snowing and some ice got on the inside of my rim. The weight from the ice made it so my wheels weren't balanced correctly and my car shook like crazy. However, after I got rid of the ice the problem was solved.
Old 01-03-11, 04:27 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UpstateLex
thanks, is it pretty noticeable? did u have the shakes at those speeds? for what its worth i think they filled them with nitrogen. joints have less than 500 miles on em
Extremely noticeable. I had a huge bubble on the inside of my driver's side rear tire. Since the bubble was on the inside of the tire, you couldn't tell the tire had a bubble until you take off the wheels and completely inspect the inside.

I noticed the shaking at highway speeds, then it become more and more apparent at lower speeds.

I figured you might have a bubble, because the lop-sided effect of the tire coupled with its centripetal force will throw your wheels off balance.
Old 01-03-11, 05:50 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

thats whas up pushinlex, however I can't actually look myself since its dark at 430 pm and I dont get out until 5. gonna get it back in to have that looked at and have wheels rebalanced again. I think the shop I took it too might have done it even worse since it's now worse than it was before (55-65 mph) previously, now at like 25-30...smdh
Old 01-03-11, 09:42 PM
sjlexus408
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your tire pressure if low they will shake.
Old 01-05-11, 03:35 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

so i brought it to the original shop who did the alignment and new tires. they rebalanced all the wheels, called and said they thought it was all set. i asked them to take it for a drive at highway speeds. they called back and said it was still shaking and when they got back he took a look and the front right wheel was wicked hot. they think that rotor is seized or something to that effect. they'll be checking the breaks early tomorrow and find out whats going on.