Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help...brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 12:08 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Need help...brake fluid change

OK, so I have a 2000 GS400 and eventhough I am not ready for a disc/pad replacement I wanted to do a brake flush and refill with some Motul (can't remember the last time I had it flushed ). I also wanted to swap out the stock brake lines with the Goodridge G-Stop SS lines while I'm at it.

As for my question...how much brake fluid do our cars require? Remember, I am doing a nice flush as well.

I am looking into the Motul RBF600 or the Motul DOT 5.1. Not sure which one to choose though. Any advice? BTW, I am running stock sized rotors and calipers. Thanks!
Old 06-14-10, 12:19 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Motul RBF600, good value. Vivid has it for as cheap as I've ever seen and then some of your local motorcycle shops may stock it too.

As for qty., I always just keep some in my garage, but a typical bleed on already decent fluid will take no more than 1 of those bottles to put fresh fluid back at the calipers, but since its been awhile I would remove as much of the old fluid out of the res. as you can before you start so you're not wasting a lot of new fluid by mixing it with the old in the res. I would count on at least 3 if you're looking to remove everything from the res. and bleed.
Old 06-14-10, 03:32 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need no more than 2 quarts to do a complete flush. I'm assuming that your old brake fluid does not have any dye in it already right? I usually use ATE Blue/Type 2000 which is a great fluid. I suck out as much of the old fluid as possible with a syringe and then fill it up with the new fluid. I turn the key to acc. and let the pump cycle through and then I crack open the bleed screw. Work all four corners and then top off the fluid and hop in for a drive. You do not need to pressurize the system in the 2GS since the pump will do that automatically for you.
Old 06-14-10, 08:23 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well, I am having someone (a local shop) do it for me. However, I want to supply the fluids. Damn, I need 2 quarts? The Motul RBF600 looks like it costs around $20 bucks for only a .5 litre container (approx 1/2 quart). So I need four of these containers? $80 bucks...pretty steep...does this sound right?
Old 06-14-10, 11:27 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Well, I am having someone (a local shop) do it for me. However, I want to supply the fluids. Damn, I need 2 quarts? The Motul RBF600 looks like it costs around $20 bucks for only a .5 litre container (approx 1/2 quart). So I need four of these containers? $80 bucks...pretty steep...does this sound right?
I would personally run the ATE fluid as it will last a little longer for a daily driver since it is not susceptible to moisture as much as the Motul. The motul is good for track use due to it's higher boiling point, but needs to be flushed out quicker. I usually get two years of usage out of the ATE fluid. Also, it's cheaper too.
Old 06-15-10, 05:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I would personally run the ATE fluid as it will last a little longer for a daily driver since it is not susceptible to moisture as much as the Motul. The motul is good for track use due to it's higher boiling point, but needs to be flushed out quicker. I usually get two years of usage out of the ATE fluid. Also, it's cheaper too.
Understood...I will look into ATE also. BTW, ANYHTHING is better than what is in there now. Regretfully, I havn't changed my brake fluid or power steering fluid EVER!!! and I had the car for seven years! All, other fluids such as coolant, diff, engine, tranny have been well maintained.

I am actually bringing my car in for a FULL fluid flush and refill. Engine oil (Royal Purple 5w30) & filter, transmission fluid (Royal Purple ATF), coolant, power steering and brake fluid. The differential fluid was recently done about 2 mos ago (Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90).

Do you think I did any permanent damage to my braking system or power steering by not changing these fluids? I checked the other day and they are BLACK as hell! The car still stops well and it turns no problem and without any noises.
Old 06-15-10, 07:23 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I just bought (2) 1L bottles of the ATE Super Blue DOT4 brake fluid and the Goodridge G-Stop SS brake line kit (4 lines)...all for $145/shipped to my door!

Yesterday I bought the RP engine oil and the RP ATF...another $95 bucks. Damn, maintenance can get very expensive; but it's worth it!
Old 06-15-10, 10:15 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Try to remember that the brake fluid needs to be bled more often.

But I doubt you have any perm. damage, wipe some of the gunk off in the res., I know you have some if its been that long, lol.

ATE has 2 different color fluids so you can see which one is where in the system, so you know where to bleed to. Use the other color next time.

Any of the premium fluids mentioned so far are good, you can't go wrong with any of them. We could expand to RBF660, Castrol SRF, etc., but bang for the buck, you're good with the ATE too.
Old 06-15-10, 11:22 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought (2) 1L bottles of the ATE Super Blue DOT4 brake fluid and the Goodridge G-Stop SS brake line kit (4 lines)...all for $145/shipped to my door!

Yesterday I bought the RP engine oil and the RP ATF...another $95 bucks. Damn, maintenance can get very expensive; but it's worth it!
It's good that you got the SS lines and 2 liter of brake fluid for that price shipped to your house. As far as engine oil, anything such as Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc. will suffice as long as you change it out every 5k miles. As far as RP ATF, do not put that stuff in your transmission!!! Our shifter solenoid inside the A650e are not built to accept that fluid and will cause premature wear and damage to your transmission. I would stick to the toyota T-IV fluid as that has been proven solid not only by myself but others who has high horsepower toyota.
Old 06-15-10, 11:51 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

edit: yes you can use dot 4 but not dot 5. but you can use dot 5.1

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ake-fluid.html

also, the dot 4 absorbs moisture quicker than dot 3... so I would go dot 5.1

Last edited by sam430; 06-15-10 at 12:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-15-10, 12:10 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
It's good that you got the SS lines and 2 liter of brake fluid for that price shipped to your house. As far as engine oil, anything such as Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc. will suffice as long as you change it out every 5k miles. As far as RP ATF, do not put that stuff in your transmission!!! Our shifter solenoid inside the A650e are not built to accept that fluid and will cause premature wear and damage to your transmission. I would stick to the toyota T-IV fluid as that has been proven solid not only by myself but others who has high horsepower toyota.
Damn! Really? The last time I changed my tranny fluid was from the stock Toyota Type IV to Amsoil synthetic ATF and that was about 3 years ago. Even with my heavy foot and high stall PI TC that Amsoil ATF still looks new!!! But I think it's time to change the fluid again and figured why not try the Royal Purple ATF...it indicates that it is up to standards of Toyota Type III, IV, & V.

Can you provide a link (website) that may indicate tranny failure by using this? If so, I will just return it and buy Amsoil again.
Old 06-15-10, 01:30 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Damn! Really? The last time I changed my tranny fluid was from the stock Toyota Type IV to Amsoil synthetic ATF and that was about 3 years ago. Even with my heavy foot and high stall PI TC that Amsoil ATF still looks new!!! But I think it's time to change the fluid again and figured why not try the Royal Purple ATF...it indicates that it is up to standards of Toyota Type III, IV, & V.

Can you provide a link (website) that may indicate tranny failure by using this? If so, I will just return it and buy Amsoil again.

Jefftsai said he uses cheap OTC Tranny fluid.. he said it just has less slip addatives so the tranny shifts more firm.. try checking with him to confirm?
Old 06-15-10, 01:32 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Both amsoil and royal purple make very high quality oils. Putting those two wouldnt have any real noticable effects in transmission longevity compared to stock Toyota Type IV.

My buddy owns a serious of transmission shops and said as long as you make sure your fluid is flushed properly and your using higher quality fluids there shouldnt be anything to really worry about.
Old 06-15-10, 02:20 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks guys! lol...I just bought 3 quarts of Amsoil ATF; I am returning the Royal Purple ATF "just in case". Amsoil has worked very well for me in the past and I will simply use again.
Old 06-15-10, 05:18 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Anyone in any car changing trans or diff fluids MUST confirm that whatever fluid they're about to use is suitable for their trans or diff. There is no one size fits all when it comes to these fluids. If in any application you or the tech person at the fluid manuf. isn't sure of an appl. then only use the oem fluid.

fwiw, I've been using Redline D4 ATF in mine for years now. I checked the label, it looked like it would have the appropriate coverage for the GS, but before I decided to use it I still called Redline to confirm it would meet or exceed the Toyota fluid's specs and it does. I probably started using it over 100k miles ago.

Quick Reply: Need help...brake fluid change