Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Two straight sets of front tires destroyed by negative camber

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 01:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The dealers will install F-sport suspension and performance parts, but try getting an alignment from them. The dealer will still resort to whatever the Hunter machine tells them whether you're on stock or F-sport springs
Old 06-04-10, 02:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the 2IS was just like the 3GS in that it does not come with camber adjustment from the factory. The camber is set for stock height and can't be adjusted when lowered. All of us 3GS owners are dealing with this issue but we don't complain. If you lower your car there will be negative camber that will prematurely wear out the inner side of the front tires.
About 20K miles is what you can expect with a lowered 3GS and I thought 2IS. That's why so many guys buy cheap tires.
The rears last longer but expect to buy fronts more often...if you want that look we love so much.
Old 06-04-10, 03:28 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have pics of your cars showing the wheel slanting?
Old 06-04-10, 05:25 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think 1.5 degrees is enough to show up in a picture. But the wear issues are pretty apparent.

Originally Posted by Ice350
I thought the 2IS was just like the 3GS in that it does not come with camber adjustment from the factory. The camber is set for stock height and can't be adjusted when lowered. All of us 3GS owners are dealing with this issue but we don't complain. If you lower your car there will be negative camber that will prematurely wear out the inner side of the front tires.
About 20K miles is what you can expect with a lowered 3GS and I thought 2IS. That's why so many guys buy cheap tires.
The rears last longer but expect to buy fronts more often...if you want that look we love so much.
If I continue to face this problem, I think I would try to get more life out of my tires by swapping (re-mounting) them left-to-right every 10K miles or so. I think that could get me a whole lot more life out of my tires. Have you tried that?
Old 06-04-10, 08:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I don't think 1.5 degrees is enough to show up in a picture. But the wear issues are pretty apparent.

If I continue to face this problem, I think I would try to get more life out of my tires by swapping (re-mounting) them left-to-right every 10K miles or so. I think that could get me a whole lot more life out of my tires. Have you tried that?
Naw....I do about 8K miles a year. If I get 20K out of the tires that's over 2 years. That's good enough for me.
Old 06-08-10, 11:24 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Just to be sure, I'm guessing the same advice about adding toe in applies to the rear wheels, too, if I am seeing the same problem back there?

(For the record, my specs in the rear are -2.1 camber left, -1.8 right, and .24 total toe, and I am seeing some noticeable wear on the inside of my front tires after about 10K.)
Old 06-08-10, 05:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Just to be sure, I'm guessing the same advice about adding toe in applies to the rear wheels, too, if I am seeing the same problem back there?

(For the record, my specs in the rear are -2.1 camber left, -1.8 right, and .24 total toe, and I am seeing some noticeable wear on the inside of my front tires after about 10K.)
Front inside edge wear is toe out. Rear inside edge wear is toe in. Toe out in front helps the car turn in better. Toe in at the rear reduces understeer and helps the car turn. So, if the rear is wearing on the inside edges, you need less toe in which is the exact opposite of what you do for the front.
Old 06-08-10, 11:32 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Err... I meant to say I'm seeing wear on the inside of my *rear* tires after about 10K, but hopefully context clues made that clear.

Anyways, thanks. I should have learned some of this from Forza by now.

Is the convention for the rear wheels the same as the front wheels in that a positive toe angle represents toe in?
Old 06-09-10, 09:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Err... I meant to say I'm seeing wear on the inside of my *rear* tires after about 10K, but hopefully context clues made that clear.

Anyways, thanks. I should have learned some of this from Forza by now.

Is the convention for the rear wheels the same as the front wheels in that a positive toe angle represents toe in?
AFAIK. I never use angular measurements, I always use linear. It's a lot less complicated. The angular measurements on the machines typically fail to account for the actual tire diameter, so you can be dead on the numbers and still have problems if you're on non-standard tires. Just another reason to have someone who actually understands suspension geometry setting up your chassis instead of someone depending on the lights going green.
Old 06-13-10, 01:14 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
AFAIK. I never use angular measurements, I always use linear. It's a lot less complicated. The angular measurements on the machines typically fail to account for the actual tire diameter, so you can be dead on the numbers and still have problems if you're on non-standard tires. Just another reason to have someone who actually understands suspension geometry setting up your chassis instead of someone depending on the lights going green.
So whats your recommendation for the 2IS?

Is there a setting on the Hunter machines that we should tell the alignment guy to put it on to read in distance and not angle?

I might have them adjust to the edge of the green for toe in on the front and the edge of toe out on the rear to see if that helps the inner tire wear.

I am also going to do the front SPC camber kit before the alignment too.