Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wierd noise coming from my new L-Sportline suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-02, 04:50 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wierd noise coming from my new L-Sportline suspension.

Hey guys, I just purchased from another Cl member the L-Sportline suspension (springs&shocks) and I'm hearing a strange "clunking" or "toink" noise coming from the rear everytime I drive over a speed bump at work. Any ideas what it could be? Could it be the same problem that the L-Tuned shocks have in regards to the bump stop? Help please....
Old 05-23-02, 06:22 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did your installer installed back the stock bump stop?
Old 05-23-02, 07:23 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Shinchan
did your installer installed back the stock bump stop?
I'm really not sure since I didn't watch the install. However, I do have my stock shocks w/eibach springs in a box. Could the bump stop still be attched to my old rear suspension? What does it look like?
Old 05-23-02, 10:12 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

I just remembered that I took a pic right before they put on my wheel. Can anyone tell me if the bump stop off my old shock was put on the new shock. Can you tell in this pic? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Wierd noise coming from my new L-Sportline suspension.-club-lexus-meets-012.jpg  

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 05-23-02 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-23-02, 10:32 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Try to narrow the problem as to which side of the rears it is happening by driving just the one side over the speed bump. If you hear it on one side, then try the other side.
2. If both sides have it, then you know you're dealing with incorect installation. Bring it back to the installer.
3. If one side only shows it, then that side was incorrectly installed so bring it back to installer. At least, you know that the other side was installed correctly and the installer will know more or less what the problem is by comparing it to the good side.
Old 05-23-02, 10:43 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Thanks Whitels, I'm going to do that tomorrow at work.
Old 05-24-02, 04:12 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

OK, driving over the speed bumps at work, I starting with the driverside then the passenger side. The noise occurs on both sides of the rear of the car. Does not happen up front. Any suggestions before I take it back.
Old 05-24-02, 05:18 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
OK, driving over the speed bumps at work, I starting with the driverside then the passenger side. The noise occurs on both sides of the rear of the car. Does not happen up front. Any suggestions before I take it back.
Sounds like a problem with installation, at the minimum. Worse scenario, the shocks are shot but I doubt it.

The shop should be able to recreate the problem by putting the car on a lift just enough to raise the rears. Then, with a long piece of wood, put the short end under the tires and lift it, using the wood like a lever, as if it is going over a speed bump. Someone would then look below and determine if the noise is occuring from the top or lower part of the suspension. My guess is one of the rubber bushings or pads that came with the replacement springs/shocks is not thick enough or not up to the task. A solution could be to reuse the old rubber parts from the OEM. Another possible scenario is that the rubber parts were not installed in the right order. Still another one, check the tightness of the rear sway bar and other suspension compoments before doing anything.

I hope its not very bad.
Old 05-24-02, 05:31 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

whitels: thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens on Sat. This is the first time I bought anything from another cl member, and now I have this problem...

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 05-24-02 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 07:59 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Suspension Problem Solved

Well guys, after 3 hours at the shop having my suspension torn apart and many test drives, the installer found the problem. The noise was coming from the rubber bump stops inside the shock. Why? On the L-sportline suspension, there is a clip on the shock that allows you to lower the car another .5". That's how you get almost a 2" drop. Well, by doing this and the added weight of my car (stereo stuff probably) the bump stops must have been flexing when driving over speed bumps causing that awful noise. Solution? The installer cut about a 1/2 inch off the rubber bump stop. Put everything back together and the noise went away. Also, the ride seems to be a little better. Less bumpy in the rear. Special thanks goes out to whitels and Shinchan for their suggestions.
Old 05-26-02, 11:33 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question...I have been dealing with the same problem for a very long time now, about 25,000 miles. Actually, ever since my Eibach install. I ended up just replacing the springs, so I still have the stock shocks. I haven't run into any problems, but I have that same noise coming from the rear. I plan on buying some Tein HAs soon, but I was wondering if these help help correct the problem? Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-02, 11:36 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

LXOGOOD - If you don't mind me asking, what kind of bulbs are you running in your clear bumper lenses?
Old 05-27-02, 10:42 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
LXOGOOD - If you don't mind me asking, what kind of bulbs are you running in your clear bumper lenses?
PIAA plasma blue wedge bulbs. They seem to match up very well with my Blue 7000K HID.
Old 05-27-02, 11:37 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you! I am actually running those for my wedge bulbs, so I think those would work out pretty good. I only wonder if that is legal for a side marker, meaning the color difference.
Old 05-27-02, 12:06 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
Thank you! I am actually running those for my wedge bulbs, so I think those would work out pretty good. I only wonder if that is legal for a side marker, meaning the color difference.
Nope. Anything besides Amber in your sidemarker is illegal.

Quick Reply: Wierd noise coming from my new L-Sportline suspension.