Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help - Seized slide pin

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 08:57 PM
cajunlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Seized slide pin

I decided to replace my rear pads on my IS350. Seems really simple and it was up to the point of trying to get the new outer pads in. It appears the lower slide pins have seized up. I cannot get either side loose. I have even removed one caliper, lightly tapped it, but it doesn't move. So I soaked it with Kroil, let it sit and hit it harder. No luck. Took out the torch and heated it, then hit it really hard. no luck. they are really seized up good. Any suggestions ??
Old 01-23-10, 09:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

There is a LSB for this. Lexus is aware of the problem. It would have been helpful to have taken it to the dealer before you did all the backyard mechanic fixes. They may (or may not) allow your claim for repair at this point.
Old 01-27-10, 06:25 PM
cajunlex
Driver School Candidate

The local dealer took care of it. Even being 2K out of warranty they did a "good will" replacement of both rear calipers and flushed all the lines. Great service and support by Lexus.
Old 02-04-10, 04:45 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I just tried replacing my rear pads this weekend and I had the same issue. I had the previous rear brake pin campaign done last year. My car is also out of warranty (64000 miles now).

I called Lexus and explained the problem but they told me since it's out of warranty they would charge me unless it was specifically related to the campaign.

So I was wondering exactly what the LSB you are referrign to. Is it the rear brake pin one?

My issue is not with the two long pins holding the brake pads in. The problem is with the sliding 14mm bolt on the caliper itself. That slide has the rubber hose and allows the caliper to wiggle back and forth some.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-04-10, 04:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That's the problem addressed by the LSB. The slide pins seize. It has nothing to do with the pad retaining pins.
Old 02-04-10, 05:14 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Ok thanks. When I called Lexus this afternoon, they claimed it was for some rear dust boots and that was what they replaced, but that didn't make sense.

I will give them another call tmmw, possibly another dealership.
Old 02-05-10, 06:34 PM
cajunlex
Driver School Candidate

Attached is the LSB.

The dealer told me my car had already been in for the LSB a year or so ago. Apparently (as you will see in the attached) the dealer inspects the slide pin/bushing and decides if the pins can be lubed or the caliper needs replacement. They must have lubed the pin before and not done a really good job. Water must have gotten past the bushing and grease and allowed the pin to seize. Mine definitely needed replacement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-CP-9LB-0001-W.pdf (944.2 KB, 4502 views)
Old 02-05-10, 09:46 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

This should be covered even if I'm out of warranty correct? Does it make squeaking noises? Something in the rear is squeaking when I let the car go by itself. I'm not even using my brakes and they squeak.
Old 02-05-10, 10:46 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Thanks Cajunlex. Say which part of Louisiana are you from? I lived in Lake Charles, and moved to Houston now.

Anyhow, I called Lexus again, and this time I spoke to someone else and set up an appointment to have them look at it. Hopefully it will be covered. I looked at my old invoice and it seems as tho they only inspected the rear calipers and not replaced it. So there's hope they will replace them.

In the meantime, I made videos showing the stuck right and normal left rear calipers.
http://gallery.me.com/agblue#100080
Old 02-06-10, 02:29 AM
cajunlex
Driver School Candidate

Baton Rouge. I was in Lake Chuck last month for work. Grew up in Sulphur. Also in Houston twice a week (via Bush Intercontinental).

I was doing a brake job a couple of weeks back and realized they were seized (both sides) when I tried to replace the outer pads. The caliper would not slide to allow the outer pads to go in. I tried all kinds of things to get them to break free with no success. I found the LSB later. So I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. I put the old outer pads back in (with the new inner pads and rotors) and drove a couple of miles to them. They called later and said they would do the free replacement. They bled the brakes and even flushed the front too. I was very happy; I called Sewell Lexus (online) to get a price on replacements in case I had to buy them. They were $304 each so getting them replaced free was awesome. I'm very happy with Lexus' support on this.
Old 02-06-10, 08:06 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Ahh nice. I lived in BR for awhile. Go Tigers! I graduated class of 2005 there. While in LC, did you happen to eat at a chinese restaurant, Wok D'lite? You may have seen my brother zip around there in his modded blue 350z. He's also been to some import car shows in BR.

Hopefully Lexus will do the same for me and replace my calipers. I'll post an update on what they decide on monday. Was there a reason why you placed your old pads back in? Was it seized to a point where you couldn't put them in? Mine is siezed to where the outerpad doesn't touch at all, and there's a sligth gap in the rear.

Last edited by AgBlue; 02-06-10 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 04:21 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I inspect my rear boots and slide pin every once and a while to make sure it's not seized. This seems to be a common problem and even with a new rubber boot water might get in there and corrode over time. Just keep it greased and make sure it slides freely
Old 02-06-10, 06:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The wife's Scion tC had the same issue on one of the rear calipers, but there's no TSB for the Scion. I cleaned it up and greased it, now I check it every couple of months to be sure they're still floating. I'm not terrifically impressed with this as I've had disc brake vehicles for more than 30 years and only once before had a problem with calipers seizing, but that one was clearly because an idiot did the previous brake job.
Old 02-06-10, 07:23 PM
cajunlex
Driver School Candidate

AgBlue - Yes I had to put the old outer pads back in since the caliper would not center to put the new (thicker) pad in. I gave them to the dealer and they installed them after they replaced the calipers.

I hope it turns out well for you at the dealer. Good luck.
Old 02-09-10, 08:01 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Well, I went into Lexus yesterday.
Unfortunately they told me that that is not covered under the SSC.
They claimed that installing the dust boot was the only thing that needed to be done and that was the only thing that was done.
I then questioned the technician about lubricating the slide pin at the time they installed the new dust boot and he said they do NOT lubricate it at the time since that is not what's included in the SSC.

Yet in the PDF above, and my letter, it specifically says "they are going to apply the correct amount of grease" since previously there was inadequet amount. He still went on to say it was not part of the SSC and that it's part of maintainence to lubricate it every 15000 miles (which I haven't even driven in the past year since I carpool, which probably made it easier to sieze up).

Now Im not sure if they did or did not apply grease, but according to the tech there, he said they do not apply grease for that ssc. I'm thinking that if they did not, and they replace the boot, then that would remove the most of the grease on there as well as introduce more foreign materials into the pin area.

I am thus far dissatisified with this. I think that the tech saw I had replaced rotors and brakelines and pads and he figured I did something wrong to it. I will be calling the Lexus service hotline from the letter to ask more about this.

Quick Reply: Help - Seized slide pin