Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help - Seized slide pin

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 10:18 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,872 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Well, I went into Lexus yesterday.
Unfortunately they told me that that is not covered under the SSC.
They claimed that installing the dust boot was the only thing that needed to be done and that was the only thing that was done.
I then questioned the technician about lubricating the slide pin at the time they installed the new dust boot and he said they do NOT lubricate it at the time since that is not what's included in the SSC.

Yet in the PDF above, and my letter, it specifically says "they are going to apply the correct amount of grease" since previously there was inadequet amount. He still went on to say it was not part of the SSC and that it's part of maintainence to lubricate it every 15000 miles (which I haven't even driven in the past year since I carpool, which probably made it easier to sieze up).

Now Im not sure if they did or did not apply grease, but according to the tech there, he said they do not apply grease for that ssc. I'm thinking that if they did not, and they replace the boot, then that would remove the most of the grease on there as well as introduce more foreign materials into the pin area.

I am thus far dissatisified with this. I think that the tech saw I had replaced rotors and brakelines and pads and he figured I did something wrong to it. I will be calling the Lexus service hotline from the letter to ask more about this.
Yeah, he's being a ***** about it. Print the SSC, take it with you, ask him to explain what the reference to greasing the pin means and tell him you'd like to record the conversation. I'll bet he changes his tune pretty quickly.
Old 03-14-10, 05:18 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunlex
Attached is the LSB.

The dealer told me my car had already been in for the LSB a year or so ago. Apparently (as you will see in the attached) the dealer inspects the slide pin/bushing and decides if the pins can be lubed or the caliper needs replacement. They must have lubed the pin before and not done a really good job. Water must have gotten past the bushing and grease and allowed the pin to seize. Mine definitely needed replacement.
thanks for this... i may have this issue on my 2007 GS350
Old 03-18-10, 09:54 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by varcity64
thanks for this... i may have this issue on my 2007 GS350
just to update this post - my rear calipers do not slide as they should and i believe i my slide pin is seized so i made an appointment with lexus for next thursday night. my car is out of the original factory warranty (59k miles) but i did purchase the extended lexus platinum warranty (3 yrs, 100k miles) so i dont think i will have an issue but i will bring a copy of Special Service Campaign 9LB with me. i will let you guys know what happens. thanks for all the help
Old 03-27-10, 04:00 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

update to this thread...

i took my car in on thursday and sure enough my calipers were seized. when the dealer called me to tell me this, i was told that they were not covered under SSC 9LB since they adressed the recall by replacing the dust boots a year ago. they told me that since they were not seized last year, the issue with my calipers now would be my responsibility. when i mentioned the extended warranty i had, they took care of them, no problem. otherwise, that would have been $1k out of my pocket
Old 04-02-10, 08:57 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1K for seized pins?? yikes..