Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

how to install tein flex

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 10:34 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to install tein flex

I'm looking at changing my suspension and needed some expert advice.

How easy is it to install coils? Use a spring compressor and unbolt the old set up and bolt in the new one? Can someone give me an idea of how complex it is? It looks simple. I've been a DIY guy for years. Mostly my old 400hp 383 TPI 89 transam.

Does any one have a copy of the instructions that can be faxed or emailed? tein manual? Tein usa didn't have one! i heard there is a HA one out there.

Next, what is the stiffest setting like on theTein HA to the FLEX?

Will stiffer suspension make it possible to bend my wheels on a bump or pothole?

Will the max drop on the Tein HA rub in anyway with 245/35/19 275/30/19's?

Where have people seen the best prices for Tein's? Web?local?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by jbbnet; 12-13-12 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 08:39 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Default tein

hasn't anyone ever installed coils??
Old 05-14-02, 08:54 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve Ganz
CarsonToyota/Lexus Parts
TRD/L-Tuned/TTE
Tom's Racing/L-Sportline/Tein coil-over
gonzo4u@earthlink.net
1-800-908-6968

Give Steve a call or email and he will be able to source the Tein parts you wish.. As for install the instructions are all in Japanese so you need to find a good install place that have done Tein before and know how to read the language.. I just had my Flex installed this morning and for my 2 cents spend the extra money and get the FLEX coilovers..

Check this link below to show you what the FLEX coilovers look like..

https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/ph...=3822&size=big
Old 05-15-02, 06:41 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Default are you guys real car nuts or what?

thanks, but i would like to install them myself.

It sounds like most people here just go to the dealer for everything. In my past I've always known car nuts do it themselves. I know most vette owners don't let anyone touch their cars. The dealers job is only paid to repair the broken parts. If anything else breaks or is damaged in the process they may not tell you if it's their fault at times and try to repair it cheaply for their own savings or hide their mistakes. One time i was supposed to pay for a new harmonic balance because the repair place damaged it. I noticed their mistake and never had to pay for it. I know this isn't the case for all dealers but they are in the business of making money and cutting expenses.

Do you all go to lexus for that 50.00 oil change too? LOL

Real car nuts build up their own cars, right? Not just order the parts and flash it around.

Pimp'n ain't easy........... but it sure is fun!
Old 05-15-02, 07:01 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2SAVVY,

How do the FLEX coilovers differ from the normal flex?

jbbnet,

I hear you and understand where you're coming from, I’m a bit of a shade tree mechanic myself. But if it involves something major like breaks, I leave it to the pros. This will require a 4 wheel alignment after you're done. And if you don't do it right bad things could happen. If you're up to the challenge, more power to ya, just my 2 cents.

Overclocker
Old 05-15-02, 07:20 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

**Disclaimer** I have never installed suspension parts on a Lexus **End Disclaimer**
I have installed coilovers on other vehicles though, and your initial description covers the approach. Since most folks don't have a spring compressor in their back pocket, you usually have to rent one. I'd take a close look at the stock suspension to get an idea of the access room and layout before going to the rental place. Since there are different types of compressors, this might save you an extra trip if you get the wrong type initially.
Also, since coilovers are adjustable, it is best to do the installation on a perfectly flat surface, like your garage floor rather than the driveway. This will allow you to get an accurate ride height measurement at all four corners. Also, it's a good idea not to set the coilovers really low initially... sometimes it's too low and you can't get the jack out from under the car
In several applications, not sure about the TIEN's, its necessary to use the bumpstops off the factor suspension to keep the coilovers from bottoming out to hard (could bend the shock/strut piston). I have also noticed that most coilovers tend to be noisier than traditional shock/coil suspensions, mostly when coming out of driveways or turning sharply at slow speeds like in a parking lot. It's usually caused by the spring rotating in the perch of the strut. Home Depot/Lowes carry this thin rubber material to use as a water barrier in wall around tubs and showers, and if you just cut a donut shaped piece of this to put between the top and bottom coils and their mounting locations, this will generally take care of the little groans and clunks.
Of course, make sure you have a decent torque wrench and the torque specs for the wheels and upper/lower shock mounting locations.
That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Sorry for the long note, but I hope it helps.
Old 05-15-02, 09:18 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

thanks, but i was looking for a little more specifics. Do certain suspension pieces need to be removed? Is anything going to fly out at me if i remove it wrong? I know you need a spring compressor, but i want to ensure this works out easy. I've looked at the assembly a few times and i see a few bars need to be removed in the rear, or at least unbolted.

I think he meant FLEX Coils and normal flex are the same thing. Tein FLEX is a new setup by Tein that allows any drop you want until the car hit the ground or fenders rub.
Old 05-15-02, 11:26 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jbbnet
thanks, but i was looking for a little more specifics. Do certain suspension pieces need to be removed? Is anything going to fly out at me if i remove it wrong? I know you need a spring compressor, but i want to ensure this works out easy.
Sorry if I didn't provide you with enough specifics, but since you're a DIY guy I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Old 09-17-02, 02:13 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Why would you need a spring compressor when installing the TEIN Flex coilovers??? Both the stock and TEIN flex suspension units come assembled, so I don't see the need for one

I am doing my install tonight, so wish me luck
Old 09-17-02, 02:32 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
Why would you need a spring compressor when installing the TEIN Flex coilovers??? Both the stock and TEIN flex suspension units come assembled, so I don't see the need for one

I am doing my install tonight, so wish me luck
True, if you are installing an assembled combo, you wouldn't need a compressor. But, different setups come with different pieces. Some combos require that you reuse some of your stock pieces, like the upper spring perch, in which case you'd have to compress your stock setup to get the perch off. If the Flex comes preassembled, then you're golden.
Old 09-17-02, 02:34 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MikeGS4PE,

Good luck on the install and snap a few pics if you get the chance.

Have you ever installed suspention bits before?

Overclocker
Old 09-17-02, 03:40 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Mumbles - Exactly...so I am golden... I hope so!!! I am having second thoughts though, but I am going to check out the suspension before I get started...I have to take off the wheels eitherway for a routine brake/rotor swap...if I don't feel I can do it, it's off to go to the Lex dealer to have my friend work on the car, but I would rather do it myself...I like doing my own maintence, etc

Overclocker - I worked on my '98 C5 with lowering etc of the front/back leaf springs...not exactly the same set-up, but it seems pretty simple. My friends have all done their own coilover set-ups on cars such as Audi S4/Eclipse GSX, etc etc...They are going to be my safety rope I guess...haha

I know this, the mechanic I know at the Lex dealership by my house is going to do the alignment when it's all done, I will just have him take a quick look...

Wish me luck!!!

Thanks Steve Ganz for the rotors and coilovers

BTW...I will try and get some pictures together, but I am not sure how much light I will have and I am not sure I can get my digital camera by then...but I will try...

Take Care All!
Old 09-18-02, 12:48 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, the rears are in...for me, it was extremely easy! I feel damn good about doing another of one my mods...hehe the fronts should be in tomorrow...while I replace my rotors, etc...I did take me quite some time though, but I took breaks and did everything accordingly...If you have never been under a car before, I would not suggest it!!!

BTW...so far, the rear is set at the stiffest setting...I love it!!!!!! I am almost positive will run 16/16...or 16/14 when it's all together!

Everything was done to Teins spec for now...until I mount my 19s