Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official Lexus SC Coilover Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 12:18 PM
fleecer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone make coilovers in the 1k range with adjustable camber plates?
Old 04-28-11, 02:55 PM
2slowsc300
Driver

D2 RS $905 shipped, 3 year warranty, rebuildable, no doubt best deal around an D2 USA headquarters 2hrs from my house
Surprised at how good they ride firm but still has Lexus ride quality

Old 04-29-11, 01:28 AM
MGa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So isn't anyone running the BCR BR-series with custom spring rates?
I want a nice firm ride not stiff just firm and not soft either.
And also I'm lowering the car about 2inches and running 225/35/19 19x8 ET30 245/35/19 19x9 ET35 wheels and don't want the wheels to rub and the suspension to bottom out.
Car is daily driver and even a snow plow in the winter no track days with this one.

So suspension pros what spring rates do you suggest for the BCR because they are just good for my price range.
Old 04-29-11, 10:18 AM
Catracho30
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like stated earlier.PBM are the best bang for the buck.im tucking my 18s with 225/40/18 tires and i can still go about 1.5 inch lower with stock preload. i drive them on the stiffest setting as my daily and i love them.they arent as stiff as i thought they would be but definitely firm. only downside i think is that they dont come with camber plates. but replacement shocks are only 100 bucks!!
Old 04-29-11, 10:26 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fleecer
anyone make coilovers in the 1k range with adjustable camber plates?
The JZA80 chassis does not allow camber adjustment through the mounts.
Old 04-30-11, 09:42 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

If i could, i'd get the BC coils with higher rates for sure. We've messed with mine continuously and can't get the preload high enough. I bottom out waay too much, then again, i could raise the car up............nah.
Old 04-30-11, 12:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 416 Likes on 343 Posts

Are there any coilovers that offer a smooth ride that's close to stock, but doesn't bottom out when you hit a bump?

I've got Megan Street LP coilovers for the MKIV Supra and the ride quality is terrible. I feel every little crack and pothole on the road. The only reason I still have them is because they don't cause the car to bottom out and I can really low.
Old 04-30-11, 12:53 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

^, Lowering a vehicle and ride quality is proportional. Typically the more the vehicle is lowered the more the ride quality suffers, in terms of comfort. It doesn't help that you're on 18's with a low profile tire. Many believe that the coilovers cause the rough ride but never consider the loss of cushion when going with a larger diameter wheel.

It's impossible to duplicate the comfort of a 16" wheel when you're 18" an above. It doesn't mean all coilovers ride the same, basic entry coilovers are just that, they allow the user to lower a car, effecting ride quality. If you want to spend the money, you could pick up a set of KW V3's. It's claimed to be one of the best set-ups out there for the Supra handling, as well as comfort and ride quality. Since the SC's share the same chassis I would expect that to be true for us as well. I'm thinking of picking up a set of those once I get rid of my Flex.
Old 04-30-11, 12:59 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Originally Posted by SChema
^, Lowering a vehicle and ride quality is proportional. Typically the more the vehicle is lowered the more the ride quality suffers, in terms of comfort. It doesn't help that you're on 18's with a low profile tire. Many believe that the coilovers cause the rough ride but never consider the loss of cushion when going with a larger diameter wheel.

It's impossible to duplicate the comfort of a 16" wheel when you're 18" an above. It doesn't mean all coilovers ride the same, basic entry coilovers are just that, they allow the user to lower a car, effecting ride quality. If you want to spend the money, you could pick up a set of KW V3's. It's claimed to be one of the best set-ups out there for the Supra handling, as well as comfort and ride quality. Since the SC's share the same chassis I would expect that to be true for us as well. I'm thinking of picking up a set of those once I get rid of my Flex.
Thanks for the response. I know that the 18"s will affect the ride quality, but I also had my stock 15"s with brand new tires before that. It still rode pretty bad on both sets of wheels. For now, I'm going to try adjusting the coilovers' settings and see if it helps. I'll look into those KW V3's. I've never heard of them before.
Old 04-30-11, 01:06 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

^ There are no real settings on a coilover that will drastically change your ride quality. Spring rates are your friends when it comes to getting the proper ride. The damper screw can only do so much, as it's for fine tuning.

There's a reason why KW's are expensive; too much to get into, I'll leave that for another day.
Old 04-30-11, 02:24 PM
2slowsc300
Driver

They claim Tein CS have soft ride not sure on bottoming out never had them
Old 04-30-11, 05:06 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by SChema
^ There are no real settings on a coilover that will drastically change your ride quality. Spring rates are your friends when it comes to getting the proper ride. The damper screw can only do so much, as it's for fine tuning.

There's a reason why KW's are expensive; too much to get into, I'll leave that for another day.
Oh, I was always under the impression that you could drastically change the ride quality by changing the settings on coilovers. I've never really messed with them since Son installed them. Spring rates seem to be a very important factor like you said. The spring rates on my old TT spring setup were totally different than my Megan's.

Since KW's are expensive, are there any other coilovers in your opinion that provide decent ride quality at reasonable price?
Old 05-01-11, 09:24 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

^ I got the same question, I plan on spending around 1000 bucks or less if possible but I want a nice, smooth ride as well, anyone knows exactly which ones to get?
Old 05-02-11, 05:57 AM
2slowsc300
Driver

D2 an BCR both offer diff spring rates so you can get any ride you want or PBM deff my top 3 picks for 1k
Old 05-02-11, 07:50 AM
MGa
Rookie

I can get BCR's from the UK with no customs tax because it's a EU country like Finland were I'm located.
So what kind of spring rates do the other coilover manufacturers use for the SC that would give a firmer ride?

Quick Reply: Official Lexus SC Coilover Thread