Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

"Clunk" noise when backing up

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 11:21 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Clunk" noise when backing up

I seem to have this clunking noise when I am backing up out of a parking space and cutting the wheel almost all the way to left or right. It sounds like its coming from driver or passenger side front wheel wells. Could this be the struts or part of the braking system making this noise? Any ideas?
Old 11-06-09, 12:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i just dealt with this. went through everything in the forums for quick fixes.
turns out it was the control arm bushings.

if you want to make sure, heres how you test. go get a can of liquid wrench white lithium grease (the blue one). shake it up real good, insert tube inbetween the LCA bushings and the bolt that holds them in and shoot as much as you can in there. I did this and my noise went away completely for about a week, then slowly starts to come back.
basically the inside of the bushings are shot and when you put conering loads on it the rubber isnt strong enough anymore to keep the sleeves from slamming against the control arm, and it makes a loud clunk sound. you may also experience clicking with this problem too.

best thing I ever did was start to lube suspension parts one at a time and driving a few miles. when the noise goes away you will have found your problem. lubing it and turning the wheel a minute later is not sufficient, you must drive around some after shooting the lubricant in there. =)

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=323881577
wear some glasses when you spray it on, it splatters like whao, but man it works so well.
the yellow can of silicon is not as effective as this one. that one is more liquidy, which works well on blow off valve pistons and such

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-06-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 12:09 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Yeah but if I don't fix whatever this noise could be will it matter? I mean the car drives and runs fine otherwise...
Old 11-06-09, 11:06 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

had the same problem installed new control arms and problem went away, however, its hard to find lower control arms from a salvage car or junkyard. Dealer charges a million dollars for a pair. good luck!