Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will Supra bushings fit SC control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 05:44 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will Supra bushings fit SC control arms?

I really need to replace my control arm bushings. Don't have the normal clunking problem. My issue is that the camber / caster bolts are seized to the inner sleeves of the bushings making it impossible to align the car 100%

So the question is will Supra bushings work in the SC arms? I ask because MVPMotorsports has both a front and rear kits for 189 each. The front kit does both upper and lower front arms and the rear kit does both upper and lower rear arms.

Seems like a good deal if they will work.

KC
Old 10-30-09, 06:19 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

look into kits from prothane.

i got mine, both front and rear, for 160 shipped.
Old 10-31-09, 06:00 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
look into kits from prothane.

i got mine, both front and rear, for 160 shipped.
The prothane kits are kind of confusing. There is a "front" kit and a "rear" kit but I haven't seen where it says what's included. Does the front kit have upper and lower? Rear kit have upper and lower? Do they include sleeves?

I think the Supra kits that mvpmotorsports sells look like good quality. Just not 100% sure they will fit. They also appear to include the sleeves which I think would be easier to install and probably accounts for their higher cost.

Also if anyone knows, does anyone make solid driveshaft bushings / donuts? I could swear I've seen them but now I can't find them. Also thinking about solid diff mounts. Also thinking about changing the subframe mounts although I probably wouldn't use solid peices.

KC
Old 10-31-09, 09:10 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i remember reading somewhere saying that the supra bushings fit but don't mark my words on that..i also need to change mines as well and maybe the mounts to, it's making a screeching sound every time i let off the clutch on take off.
Old 10-31-09, 10:55 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only difference is that the soarer uses bushes that have "slits" which feel softer, and the supra uses solid bushes.
Old 11-01-09, 12:36 AM
Son Gokou
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get the BranZ bushes from here:

http://www.soarerparts.com/

They have soarer / sc 400 bushes in slotted or solid!
Old 11-01-09, 12:57 AM
Maeve
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
The prothane kits are kind of confusing. There is a "front" kit and a "rear" kit but I haven't seen where it says what's included. Does the front kit have upper and lower? Rear kit have upper and lower? Do they include sleeves?
Yes. It's for the front & rear - upper and lower with sleeves.
The rear has 14 bushings total.

Here is what's included in the kit.

Front kit:

Rear kit:

I got mine from Jegs for $161 shipped for both front & rear.
Here are the part numbers:
Front: 18-207-BL
Rear: 18-304-BL
Old 11-01-09, 12:09 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^ 100% right
Old 11-01-09, 01:04 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Great post Maeve, helps allot.

So I guess they don't come with the outer sleeves, which was my main question about them. I suppose it's probably easier to burn out the rubber than press out the bushing with the outer sleeve anyway.

I assume all of you guys recommending them are happy with the Prothane kits then? No reason to spend twice as much if they are good.

KC
Old 11-01-09, 04:17 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Khris,
The Supra and SC lower control arms/bushings have the exact same dimensions. The only difference between the stock Supra LC bushing from the SC is its bushing is almost filled, while the SC has hole for more flexibility. I think the upper bushings aren't the same, so watch out on that.

You're looking at a messy job with a propane torch and a lot of burning and scraping/cleaning. You'll also need a t-clamp so it can push the stock rubber out while you burn it. I did it before. You'll need to keep the stock shell and maybe the center core if the kit doesn't have the center core. Don't grind the shell's inside too much because you'll thin it out and it'll need to fit snuggly over the new bushing.

If you only need to replace the LC bushings, David (Lextreme) has a lot of OEM SC LC bushings with complete unit. You'll only need to press out the old bushing with shell and press the new one in. That'll be much easier than burning/cleaning/greasing. I used the Daizen polyurethane bushings and its grease just keep being washed out by the rain and they cause squeaking all the time. I then went with the complete Supra LCAs.
Old 11-01-09, 05:05 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info steve.

I actually got to thinking about it. I need the inner sleeves for the front lowers and the Prothane kits do not appear to have them.

I'm sure I need new bushings anyway but the main reason I want to replace them is because the lower, passenger side, rear camber/caster adjusting bolt is seized to the bushings inner sleeve. In the process of removing the arm I might be able to remove the bolt without damaging the sleeve but if I can't, I'm screwed if I don't have a replacement sleeve.

I have tried to remove the bolt before with the intention of replacing it (the bolt) with a new one. I heated it up as much as I felt comfortable doing without melting the bushing and hammered the heck out of it. It did not budge at all. There are other things I could try but its note a sure thing that the sleeve can be saved.

So, I need the inner sleeves for the lowers along with the bushings.

KC
Old 11-01-09, 09:54 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

You're welcome, Khris. The OEM bushings that David has are the complete shell, rubber, and sleeve as the whole complete units. If you're not looking for firmer handling than stock, then I think using the OEM ones will avoid the headache and down time. It took me a whole day to burn and clean...etc.

Last edited by stevechumo; 11-01-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 05:16 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

This is a hell of a deal from Carson Toyota. I wonder if it would be cheaper buying through the forum?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-T...Q5fAccessories

KC
Old 11-07-09, 08:24 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
This is a hell of a deal from Carson Toyota. I wonder if it would be cheaper buying through the forum?
That's a pretty darn good deal. I don't think anyone can beat that price for right and left LCAs. The SC costs about $700 (both sides) and Supra costs $450 (both sides). I paid $400 (Supra) for mine through a connection.