Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY brake bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 07:57 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Oh wait, solo bleeder is a different tool. It ain't a vacuum pump.
Old 10-09-09, 08:00 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep the key off or it can activate the abs solenoid .
Have not read about having to use a scan tool to activate the abs manifold , not that it doesn't exist , just I have never read it.

One easy way is to just slightly crack the bleeder ,run the line to a jar and press the pedal over and over again . Only stopping to check the res to fill it up.
You can bleed a car on the ground with the wheels on in 15 minutes that way.
Old 10-10-09, 09:47 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skperformance
Keep the key off or it can activate the abs solenoid .
Have not read about having to use a scan tool to activate the abs manifold , not that it doesn't exist , just I have never read it.

One easy way is to just slightly crack the bleeder ,run the line to a jar and press the pedal over and over again . Only stopping to check the res to fill it up.
You can bleed a car on the ground with the wheels on in 15 minutes that way.
These cars have elctronic brake actuators, you cannot just pump the pedal to bleed the brakes. If you pump the pedal with the key off the brake pedal will feel stiff but that doesnt mean the air is out.
The following users liked this post:
uknowitsme (09-03-20)
Old 10-10-09, 09:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea. I use to bleed my brakes like any other car and could never get the brakes to perform like OEM. After having my keys in the IGN, or hooking it up to the Toyota Techstream, my brakes performed like OEM.
The following users liked this post:
uknowitsme (09-03-20)
Old 10-10-09, 05:55 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
no comment... and I'm not talking about the steel lines, I'm talking the rubber one behind the caliper. Look up ANY write up on how to change brakes and its shows how and why and what damage that COULD happen. I've NEVER done the pinching before till recently. I've never had a problem with not pinching, but what I've found out that could happen is just not worth it...

I wont go into it any further. as to create an argument/discussion. and why you say "another" joke. Did I misrepresent something in the past?
I think you need to research...I'm not the one giving false information here. You do not pinch the rubber line. You ever wonder why a pinched brake line needs to be replaced??? If you own a service manual for Lexus, Honda, Toyota, go look at bleeding brakes and show me where it says to pinch a line when bleeding brakes...or to change pads? And as far as "another joke" go find your post about "what VIP is" in the thread with the GS lowered on coilovers
Old 10-10-09, 07:02 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

bleeding the brakes on a 2GS is the same as any car.. just the rears are different.

with the rear calipers.. keep the key on the "ON" position and hold the brake pedal with the valve open... the actuator will pump the fluid out with the brakes down. dont do it to long since i might stress the pump n could damage it..

Ive done it and so far no problems..

n no NEVER pinch any lines.
Old 10-10-09, 09:35 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Seems like everyone is saying the same for the rears. I appreciate all of your guys help. Thank you.
Old 03-21-10, 07:41 AM
beu2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after read all the comments, advises, etc.. from this post. I replaced front/rear, brake bleed. Brake pedal still soft, brake fluid clear no bubbles, i guess time to bring to dealer.
Old 03-21-10, 09:39 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Iirc, the dealer themselves doesn't even bleed them. All they do is remove the cap from the reservoir and suck the brake fluid out and pour new fluid in and that's it.
Old 10-22-14, 09:10 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead....but do you guys remember what diameter tubing you use to fit over the bleed nipples? Need to run to an aquarium store to grab some.

I plan on bleeding in this order: rear pass, rear driver, front driver and front passenger. Does that sound right to you guys?
Old 10-25-14, 08:37 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats the right order.

i dont remember the tube size.

have a big bottle of brake fluid. make sure that the fluid coming out is free of bubbles before moving to the next corner
Old 11-01-14, 02:13 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
is this another joke? You don't Pinch the brake line....EVER
I think the mafia does...
Old 01-27-16, 12:39 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sorry to bring up the thread again, what diameter tubing do you use on the GS brakes, I have some old 1/4 in from a aquarium I was going to use, Home Depo and Lowes have clear tubing in the plumbing section for cheap, just wanted to know if it is 1/4 or larger for the GS.

Does anyone put any kind of grease on the bleeder valve to get the tubing further on to prevent air from seeping in?

So with the rears you put key in ignition and slowly pump, with fronts don't put key in? My brake pedal has always given good pressure back but I have not bled the brakes and don't know if the dealership ever did it so I want to be on the safe side.
Old 01-27-16, 12:57 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

with the rears, you turn the ignition on and just hold the pedal.. you don't need to pump... the motor will pump for you...