Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers: Aluminum casing vs Steel casing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 11:01 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coilovers: Aluminum casing vs Steel casing

Whats the major differences between a coilover with a steel casing and one an aluminum casing??

I know alum will have less unsprung weight, but how noticable is this in the drive? Does it affect ride? stiffness?

Lets take a theoretical example of the exact same coilover just using differen material for the casing, (internals springs etc all left the same)
Old 09-29-09, 09:10 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people wont feel a difference, the weight drop from a stock system will be enough of a loss to be a positive anyway.

The difference is in build quality and longevity. A stainless steel body will hold up better in rough salty weather. A coated metal will do ok with proper maintenance.

What are you looking at?

Feel free to PM us for suspension questions and prices
Old 09-29-09, 01:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Aluminum bodies wear internally faster unless they've been hard chromed. Cheaper aluminum body shocks are not hard chromed and will wear out faster. If you don't have a suspension budget planned, stick with steel.
Old 09-29-09, 01:42 PM
rac2max
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HKS coilover is hard-chrome plated aluminum. How you guys think it would hold off in salted roads up NOrth?
Old 09-29-09, 02:31 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Most people wont feel a difference, the weight drop from a stock system will be enough of a loss to be a positive anyway.

The difference is in build quality and longevity. A stainless steel body will hold up better in rough salty weather. A coated metal will do ok with proper maintenance.

What are you looking at?

Feel free to PM us for suspension questions and prices
Thanks man i will be PMing you

Im lookin at the TOM'S advox and advox sports, i might be able to get a decent deal on one of these

I thought aluminum will hold up better than steel in harsh conditions, or are u talking specifically about saltly weather?

FYI I live in a desert and the weather is really harsh; very hot , humid and regular sand storms

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Aluminum bodies wear internally faster unless they've been hard chromed. Cheaper aluminum body shocks are not hard chromed and will wear out faster. If you don't have a suspension budget planned, stick with steel.
Haha the Aluminum Advox is actually alot more expensive than the Steel Advox sports. and its TOM'S so im sure they are using a good grade aluminum, but not sure if its been hard chromed. There is very little info on these coils surprisingly ( I still havnt been able to get spring rates)