Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Should I spend the extra $$ for coilovers?

Old 09-25-03, 06:42 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I spend the extra $$ for coilovers?

At first I was convinced that springs alone would fit my needs, but now I'm not too sure. I believe I would be happy with the drop and slightly improved handling, but frankly, I don't really like the way my car rides stock. I have the 17" wheels on it now, and well, it's both harsh and too soft, depending on the conditions. Let me explain.

On sharp bumps like RR tracks, frost heaves, pavement ripples, etc, the stock suspension seems to transmit quick energy spikes into the cabin. That's the harshness. But on dips and larger bumps, it floats around unnervingly, and doesn't feel planted, especially on the highway.

Will I be able to adjust to something better with say, the Tein CS's? I'd like it a little smoother over small stuff, but more planted too.

Any input?

Oh, BTW, I have a set of 19's on the way too

Last edited by cyclemax; 09-25-03 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-25-03, 07:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

honestly, coilover no questions ask, specially if you ask for more performance. ask around for people who had springs/shocks and now coilover, most of them will tell you coilover gives you a lot more than what you pay. if you want more performance for your gs, you need springs/shocks for sure. and for a bit more you can get coilover, and now you can adjust the height to your best need and also the stiffness (in some cases). so why not? i had springs before, and now coilover, and i will never get springs/shocks anymore
Old 09-25-03, 09:48 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A resounding YES YES YES for coilovers. Add some sways while you are at it and you will outperform most other cars on the street!!!
Old 09-25-03, 10:54 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your budget play a vital role too:

over $600, get the colis...

-Bilstien PSS, Teins CS, and HKS LS, or Hypermaxx2 are all great choices for you
Old 09-26-03, 04:28 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Guys:

Thanks for the input.

As I mentioned, I'm primarily concerned with ride quality. There's no question the car will handle/perform better with the coilovers, but can I tune out some of the harshness with the adjustable damping?
Old 09-26-03, 08:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by cyclemax
Guys:

Thanks for the input.

As I mentioned, I'm primarily concerned with ride quality. There's no question the car will handle/perform better with the coilovers, but can I tune out some of the harshness with the adjustable damping?
if you get the tein CS, i have no doubt you can get back the ride quality
Old 09-26-03, 09:05 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the budget, then go for coilovers. Many members (including me) went the S/S route and then upgraded to coilovers. I have the Tein Flex and at the "softest" setting, it can be a bit floaty. I don't drive it at that setting since I don't think the Flex is meant for pure cruising. If you don't plan to do too spirited driving or tracking, the CS will be a better balance. Anyway, the Flex actually gives me a better ride than my S/S. All I am saying is that you can get a pretty soft ride with coilovers.

Of course there are also members who are perfectly happy with S/S. It is up to you. If you can spare the $, go coilovers and don't look back.
Old 09-28-03, 07:35 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

Definately coil-overs. I have the CS but have had Flex and RA's before on various cars. THe CS is VERY soft. Almost too soft but I have to remember that this is the car I drive everyday and not my weekend warrior. With upgraded sway bars it is perfect. I can not stress how much difference the sway bars made. I have the TRD Technocraft units and you may want to try that first before going with the coilovers.