Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

need more help with F-Spring clunking issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 06:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

I bought the Tein sleeves today (size "medium") and will have them installed in a few days. Will report the results here. Hope the medium size is correct. Couldn't find any reference at Tein's website, but the large ones appeared way too big. So I'm assuming this is it.

The shop who sold them to me stated the upper portion of the springs are designed to handle the cracks and ruts of the road and the lower portion of the springs are more for the heavier dips and bumps. I guess this would explain why I'm only hearing it over the ruts, where the coils are closest together. I'm leaning!

One last thing.... if this is going on the coils closest together, there isn't going to be hardly any tolerance between each. Will this affect the ride at all? The coils will still be making contact but will make contact sooner with the sleeve in the way, creating a harsher ride? (???)
Old 09-21-09, 09:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fizzboy, I think the sleeves are compliant and soft enough not to make a difference in terms of ride compared to the steel springs. Hopefully it will make your suspension quieter.
Old 09-21-09, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Fizzboy, I think the sleeves are compliant and soft enough not to make a difference in terms of ride compared to the steel springs. Hopefully it will make your suspension quieter.
Free counseling and advice, I love it! lol
I'll report all Friday evening.
Old 09-22-09, 07:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Free counseling and advice, I love it! lol
I'll report all Friday evening.
Cool, I'm expecting a good outcome.
Old 09-26-09, 10:48 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I installed Tein rubber sleeves and clunking noise is completely gone. Get 6 rubber sleeves medium size and install them on dead coils 2 and 4 just like others have said. Problem solved!!!
Old 09-26-09, 10:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
I installed Tein rubber sleeves and clunking noise is completely gone. Get 6 rubber sleeves medium size and install them on dead coils 2 and 4 just like others have said. Problem solved!!!
Good news. Did you have dealer install them?

Hopefully Fizzboy has the same results.
Old 09-26-09, 11:56 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good news. Did you have dealer install them?

Hopefully Fizzboy has the same results.
No, freaking dealer said they have to remove the springs in order to put on the sleeves . As we all know it's BS. Went to Exact and took them less than 10 mins. Just jack up the car. I could've done it myself if I had known it was that easy. I think I can say for sure mod shops have more experience than the dealer.
Old 09-26-09, 12:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
No, freaking dealer said they have to remove the springs in order to put on the sleeves . As we all know it's BS. Went to Exact and took them less than 10 mins. Just jack up the car. I could've done it myself if I had known it was that easy. I think I can say for sure mod shops have more experience than the dealer.

For sure, I know my shop has far more experience with Lexus suspension mods than any local dealership. And the installation and alignment was done right on day 1 which really is the goal (bonus is lower cost).
Old 09-26-09, 12:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

My guy is "very sick", according to the shop secreatary. So I wasn't able to get the silencers installed. I'll be shooting for the end of next week and will report. In the meantime I've gotten used to the clunks, but if someone was riding in my car, I'd be embarassed.
Old 09-26-09, 01:28 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

My guy is "very sick", according to the shop secreatary. So I wasn't able to get the silencers installed. I'll be shooting for the end of next week and will report. In the meantime I've gotten used to the clunks, but if someone was riding in my car, I'd be embarassed.
yeah no doubt Lexus cars should not be making this noise. hopefully you guy doesn't have H1N1.
Old 09-26-09, 05:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Hope he gets well soon, common colds are spreading up here.

The clunks are not acceptable, you should persist until it's quiet like a Lexus.
Old 09-26-09, 09:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Monday I'll give another call and see what's up. So far, they have been very helpful, honest, affordable, and willing. And so have I. We shall see...
Old 10-01-09, 03:23 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where is the best place to buy these Tein rubber sleeves? And is the Medium size the correct size?
Old 10-01-09, 03:26 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Keith13b
Where is the best place to buy these Tein rubber sleeves? And is the Medium size the correct size?
Your local shop specializes in spring install should have these. According to my shop yes they put on medium size. You'd need about 3 packs.
Old 10-03-09, 01:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder what's the outcome with Fizzboy,s clunking problem..............

Quick Reply: need more help with F-Spring clunking issues...