Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC Racing Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 06:11 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up BC Racing Coilover Review

I've had these coilovers on my IS350 for about a week now, figured I'd throw in my thoughts on them.

I didn't do the install, had a shop do it so no comments on install other then it didn't take the shop more then 3 hours to do it.

I think there's 2 main reasons why people get coilovers over springs. Comfort & adjustable ride height so I'll break my review down into these topics.

Comfort: I got the 'standard' spring rates 10K front / 8k rear. To be 100% honest, subjective and not write just a bunch of 'fluff', I think the standard should be a bit firmer. 12K fronts possibly? The ride is very comfortable, perhaps a bit too comfortable. I don't want to say 'sloppy' feeling, but these spring rates are nowhere near as stiff as my prevous H&R Springs which I guess I got used to. They are probably identical to stock spring rates from what I remember of the stock ride... more geared toward comfort then performance.

The slightly 'loose' feeling can be adjusted by ramping up the dampening. Very nice sprorty feel when cornering when dampening is set to firm (say 25 out of 30 clicks) but at the sacrifice of daily driving ride comfort. I've found my sweet spot at around 15 clicks, right in the middle.

Road noise is just about the same as before (I went with rubber mounts, not pillow ball) - this of course if a good thing. I'm also loving the fact that I now have full shock travel. Now I don't feel like I'm bottoming out on every single bump on the road.

Adjustable Ride Height: Well, not much to say here. With these you can go stupid crazy low, lower then is even possible to drive on, all the way up to stock height and probably even higher. I will say however that adjusting height is a sinch and the lower locking ring is a true locking ring.

So there you have it, my thoughts on these coilovers.

A few other random thoughts - I honestly don't see the need to spend more on a coilover system. With these I'm getting ride comfort, highly adjustable ride comfort at that... very wide range of height adjustability. Plus BC Racing will give you whatever spring rates you want. Not sure what else you can ask for. I also like the fact that if a valve does need replacing, no need to send your coilovers out for a rebuild, just get a new cartridge and replace - no down time.

Overall I'm happy

Here's some pics of my ride after install:

EDIT: I also wanted to add this. BC Racing & Circuit Motorsports were great with regards to customer service. At first I was a bit unhappy with the 10K front spring rates, called Circuit and asked what we could do. They worked with BC Racing and were going to send me out 12K free of charge, only asking that I send the 10K back after the swap. Great customer service on both ends.

I've decided not to go with the 12K. My main reason for wanting the swap was becuase I was rubbing too much and felt the springs were too soft in the front. I rubbed more then I did with my previous H&R Springs even set at the same height. But after some major fender mods I'm not rubbing anymore and honestly now enjoying the comfort. Anyway, was great working w/ both Circuit & BCR

Last edited by mdgrwl; 08-31-09 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 10:34 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks great!

Thanks for the review and the kind words, were here to help and were glad you got the setting you finally wanted.

If anyone has any questions on these coils just pm us!
Old 09-04-09, 12:15 PM
az911TT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have br type on my is-F I just bought. Car had coilovers installed 25 miles ago. I do not have any paper work etc. on system and can't find anywhere? Can you help Circuit? Also, I am rubbing like crazy on turns and bumps so need to learn how to adjust. Car rides very nice though and feels much more aggressive than stock.
Those wheels are sick by the way. Are they HRE's?
Old 09-05-09, 04:38 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Sure we can help.

Shoot us a PM.

Old 09-05-09, 06:40 PM
Lexi D
Driver

How much for the BC coils? Was going to get eibach springs but after lookng at all the cars on coilover going to go that way instead. I like the look a lot better.
Old 09-06-09, 12:58 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by az911TT
I have br type on my is-F I just bought. Car had coilovers installed 25 miles ago. I do not have any paper work etc. on system and can't find anywhere? Can you help Circuit? Also, I am rubbing like crazy on turns and bumps so need to learn how to adjust. Car rides very nice though and feels much more aggressive than stock.
Those wheels are sick by the way. Are they HRE's?
No, they are Volk SF-Winnings 19x8.5 +38, and 19x9.5 +42...

gonna be up for sale soon too
Old 09-06-09, 06:39 PM
Xavier6162
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
I also like the fact that if a valve does need replacing, no need to send your coilovers out for a rebuild, just get a new cartridge and replace - no down time.
And how much is a replacement cartridge?
Old 09-07-09, 04:20 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Xavier6162
And how much is a replacement cartridge?
$90 i beleave
Old 09-07-09, 06:01 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

that parking lot looks like the one at st johns garage
Old 09-08-09, 11:30 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Sent you guys PM's that were asking questions.
Old 09-08-09, 05:58 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELL Y
that parking lot looks like the one at st johns garage
no, this is at river square mall in hackensack nj
Old 09-08-09, 10:54 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice setup! Did u need a camber kit and alignment after the drop ?
Old 09-14-09, 05:49 AM
agogo
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Did you installed "RS" of BR series? I wish to install it in coming weeks.
Old 09-15-09, 12:12 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

BR series
Old 10-03-09, 09:43 PM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you do a major fender mods in the front or the rear? I'm on the same boat lol

Quick Reply: BC Racing Coilover Review