Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD LSD Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-02, 10:16 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRD LSD Install

Has anyone performed the actual work to install the TRD LSD? What additonal parts are needed for the install, i.e. housing gasket, shaft seals, etc. Any hints or tricks?

Getting the diff. unit out and back in doesn't look too bad if you drop the exhaust pipes and use a transmission jack. I have set the backlash on an open diff. ringgear before, is the TRD LSD more difficult to set?
Old 03-19-02, 11:11 AM
GJSGS4
Driver

I ordered a TRD LSD from Steve last week. When I did a search on LSD's it sounded like several of you had installed the TRD LSD yourself. Have any words of wisdom on the install?
Old 03-19-02, 11:27 AM
JacobT

I have TRD LSD installed by a shop while I was standing on side and watched them did it. Amazingly, TRD unit is so well designed, so after you swapped out the ring gear, the whole unit dropped right in without shiming or adjusting. It's a perfect fit.

Just remember to use LSD differential fluid with the TRD unit.
Old 03-19-02, 04:36 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Straight Swap

GJ - It's a straight swap & the differential's already setup ( U're just changing the center chunk with the gears already installed & backlash, pinion depth, etc, ready to go ). Either use the TRD fluid or any brand of synthetic gear lube. If U use a conventional fluid then U'll need to add a can of Mr. Goodwrench positive traction additive to keep the rear from making a "chunk" sound when the LSD engages.
Old 03-19-02, 07:47 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

You guys are making it sound too easy. Is most of the estimated 6 hours to install the LSD just unbolting and bolting time?

I'd planned on using Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube. I think it is 75w-90.

Hey, since I have to remove part of the exhaust system this would be a good time for a cat back exhaust system mod.
Old 03-20-02, 02:14 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

It is supposed to be very easy.

FWIW: I'm pretty sure TRD calls for 85W140. I got mine from Royal Purple.

Peter
Old 03-21-02, 10:39 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

any pictures on the install?
Old 03-21-02, 05:37 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

I will post some pics of the installation. The TRD LSD is still in transit, so it probably will not be this weekend.
Old 03-21-02, 05:45 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

GJSGS4,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the LSD cost you from Steve?

Overclocker
Old 03-22-02, 02:07 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Overclocker
GJSGS4,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the LSD cost you from Steve?

Overclocker
Its no secret....retail is ~$1k.

Email / call Steve direct for sure - he'll help you out.

Steve Ganz
-CarsonToyota/Lexus Parts
-TRD/L-Tuned/TTE/Tom's Racing/L-Sportline
-gonzo4u@earthlink.net
-1-800-908-6968
Old 03-22-02, 03:04 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Dexter,

Thanks for the response, but I just wanted to make sure Steve didn't have another fire sale on them and I missed out.

Overclocker
Old 03-22-02, 07:45 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

I missed the fire sale on the $400 RMM LSD. The TRD LSD is still listed on the Steve's web site at $799 while they last.

The LSD arrived today at 2 PM and after 4 hours of work I would estimate I'm about half way complete with the job. I have the diff out of the car and the diff is disassembled. I still need to pull the bearings off the old spider and remove the ring gear.

So far the parts you should have on hand to complete the job include a new exhaust gasket at the cat flange, spline shaft oil seals, o-ring for the bearing housings, and new bearings for the spider. You could skip the new bearings if you have low miles and you don't damage them during removal. The diff housing doesn't have a gasket it uses RTV.

As far as tools: I had to go out and buy a 12MM hex head to remove the rear bolts that hold the diff into the car. The biggest hex head I had was 10MM. I'm also going to need a special 12-point star socket to remove the ring gear. The nuts were welded on at the cat flange, so I cut them off with a cut-off saw. You would need a two legged bearing puller if you don't buy new bearings. I used a medium sized floor jack to lower the diff out of the car. Other than that you need normal hand tools.

The two pages of instructions/information are in japanese. The only part I could recognize were two gear lube weights listed as 75w-90 and 90w-140.

Pictures and the rest of the install later.
Old 03-23-02, 04:25 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - hats off to you for managing all that yourself GJSGS4. Reminds me when I would work on my old Bronco on Saturdays.

Can't wait to see the pics....
Old 03-23-02, 06:28 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

Finished the install today. Putting the unit back in went much faster, it only took about 2 hours for a total project time of about 6 hours. It could be done a little faster with a lift or the second time. It turns out the ring gear bolts can be removed with a 12 point 17 MM socket. There is thread locker on the ring gear bolts, so an impact wrench, or long breaker bar and bench vice are needed. The ring gear and bearings are a press fit onto the LSD. I heated the ring gear in the oven at 375 F and it slipped right on the LSD. I also heated the bearings to 400F and they also slipped right on. There is no shiming or other adjustments needed. I filled the unit with 1.4 quarts of mobil 1 gear lube while it was out of the car. I bolted the unit back up into the car. During disassembly I marked the drive shaft and axles halfs, so I bolted them back in the same rotational location in case they were balanced as a unit. On the test drive I accelerated hard out of a couple of corners and no wheel slip. I'll drive it harder after the RTV has had time to cure. Pics and driving report later.....