Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 calipers on your SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 09:04 PM
itazura
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possibly a bracket like this....
holds both bolts with one piece bracket.

Old 03-20-09, 01:57 AM
C-Thrilla
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure there's alot more dangerous cars driving around your town than this guys Lexus.
Old 03-20-09, 10:53 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the L or one piece, you also need to consider the possibilities of the brackets deforming under heat and "intense driving."

You also gotta factor in hard breaking and wear and tear and what not.
Old 03-20-09, 12:04 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

thisll be a good upgrade once its figured out
Old 03-21-09, 04:24 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

I appreciate everyones suggestions and i see how a "L" shaped bracket would really be more advantages. I will definitely be redesigning it ...

but just for the hell of it we went ahead and put the V1.0 brackets on my brothers car for clearence and to see how they would function ... after a couple of days of testing them out they are great!

of course its just been 2 days so i'm not saying that my design is an official winner, thats something that more driving will only tell.

here's a couple of pics for you guys

*please be aware that this is a modification that i did to my car and if you decide to do it to your car you take full responsibility for your own actions*
Old 03-21-09, 04:41 PM
Ryeno
Banned

I've actually had metal parts break on me in the past and i definitely agree with everyone else. That "bracket" of yours is bound to break sooner or later. I would NOT trust that on my car.

As for that one guy who said their are way more dangerous cars on the street then the ops sc. I disagree, having breaking systems that might fail is prob the most dangerous thing that can happen.

I predict that bracket will fail and you will end up rear ending a car and possibly causing a pile-up. OR maybe you will use your parking brake and make your car spin. Who knows, either way it wont be pretty. If you dont have insurance get some and make sure its with a good company. Also dont skimp on the coverage because you'll end it.
Old 03-21-09, 05:06 PM
drft_n_VIP
Rookie

look, we appreciate everyones concern and critique! REALLY we do... and yea some of you guys may be right... but you might be wrong too
I'm a certified brake safety expert for just breaks, and actually lead tech! I've seen cars come in with missing caliper bolts, missing bracket bolts, you name it!! if it were to snap or break I would definitely know it! I would hear a loud noise as soon as i applied the break, it would scare the **** out of me, and the car would end up coming to a complete stop without harming ANYONE! A customer we had had a bolt break off, she was older than your grandparents! and she was able to come to a complete and safe stop even with her caliper shot through her wheel because it wasnt serviced properly! If it were to happen to me, Im sure i'll be fine and so would anyone standing within 100 yards We're not trying to be a**holes. we do realize safety is an issue, and like my brother said, this isn't the final bracket... we're just seeing how this clears...
Thanks to everyone! ps... i love you ... ALL of YOU!!!

and just in case i die... tell Scarlet i do give a damn!!!
Old 03-21-09, 09:31 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the pics ... those calipers looke pretty big behind the wheels you should do some stoping tests to measure the improvement if any vs. stock and lets us know if you get anymore versions of your brackets i'm really feelin the calipers might be a nice upgrade in the future
Old 03-21-09, 11:35 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by drft_n_VIP
look, we appreciate everyones concern and critique! REALLY we do... and yea some of you guys may be right... but you might be wrong too
Were talking about parts that are gonna be exposed to the weather, and expand/contract because of breaking heat. I actually do know what you think but i am 100 percent certain that thing is gonna break eventually.
Originally Posted by drft_n_VIP
I'm a certified brake safety expert for just breaks, and actually lead tech! I've seen cars come in with missing caliper bolts, missing bracket bolts, you name it!! if it were to snap or break I would definitely know it! I would hear a loud noise as soon as i applied the break, it would scare the **** out of me, and the car would end up coming to a complete stop without harming ANYONE! A customer we had had a bolt break off, she was older than your grandparents! and she was able to come to a complete and safe stop even with her caliper shot through her wheel because it wasnt serviced properly! If it were to happen to me, Im sure i'll be fine and so would anyone standing within 100 yards We're not trying to be a**holes. we do realize safety is an issue, and like my brother said, this isn't the final bracket... we're just seeing how this clears...
Thanks to everyone! ps... i love you ... ALL of YOU!!!

and just in case i die... tell Scarlet i do give a damn!!!
Oh well in case you must be good. I mean just because other people are driving with break calipers bolts missing must mean its okay for you
Old 03-22-09, 10:34 AM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

here is a pic of the pads touching the rotor, as you can see it is all touching ... its just about 1mm higher than stock

Yea 2jz: those are 19" wheels my brother has and these calipers are pretty good sized, the rotor alone is 13" ... you can definitely tell a huge difference is stopping power, they're a lot more responsive and they feel more precise ... we plan on getting a friends SC300 and comparing the stopping distances between the a stock setup and the IS setup

i can only imagine all those people before that have done something no one else has done before, imagine the first guy that went NA-T ... i'm sure there were a bunch of people telling him that he was going to blow up his motor and how big of a liability he had become ... or the first guy that welded his diff ... imagine how many told him that was the most ghetto job ever and that he should save up and do it the right way ...

i know that my idea needs improvement but at least its a starting point ...
Old 03-22-09, 08:57 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
i can only imagine all those people before that have done something no one else has done before, imagine the first guy that went NA-T ... i'm sure there were a bunch of people telling him that he was going to blow up his motor and how big of a liability he had become ... or the first guy that welded his diff ... imagine how many told him that was the most ghetto job ever and that he should save up and do it the right way ...
that logic is faulty, that doesnt apply to your certain situation.

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
i know that my idea needs improvement but at least its a starting point ...
starting point =/= street ready. Your bracket looks INCREDIBLY week, thats why its a ghetto job. If that thing was better quality then i might have some faith in it but as it stands its bound to break.

The real question is are you prepared for what happens when it does fail.
Old 03-23-09, 06:47 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We should all just chill with the "constructive criticism" i mean he obvioulsy knows the risks hes taking with this "upgrade" lets just wait n see if his design improves most of us are only commenting on how ghettofied his upgrade is or how hes "going to kill someone" insted of giving advice on how he prob could make this better (some have) to help keep him from "killing someone" if this does work out its gonna be a good alternative to the supra and LS calipers just my 2 cents........ Hey drft_n_ you should check out LRD thread on the IS-F Rotor upgrade i think he might be able to help you out on improving the 350 caliper braket

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 03-23-09 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 11:30 AM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Yea 2jz: yeah i've been keeping up with his thread and i've PM'ed him.
Old 03-23-09, 05:55 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain brother, boy do I feel your pain.I know what your going through 1st hand.Listen guys for lack of a better word lets call these test brackets...Drift I applaud what your doing ...yes it's true Drift and I are not brake nor bracket engineers/fabricators .But I'm sure of this one thing, through our trials and errors it's the CL community which whom will benefit. And truly the only reward is bragging rights at the end of the day..So stick with it. My only advise is to make the bracket in an hour glass shape,they'll be a lot stronger.Take a look at the clearance again closely, on top mounted bolt position.You should try to float the caliber evenly top and bottom thus the hour glass shape.If steel is what your using then try to get a slightly thicker piece.I think billet is the way to go.Because like the examples seen here VVVVVVVVVV you will have to shim the calibers to center them.Don't give up !!! just take a step back and look at it again.lastly, this taken from a funny *** movie YOU CAN DO IT ....lol I hope this helps.. and CL members as a reminder Don't try this a home without parental guidance ........

I forgot to add, calibers looked awesome on there good job

Originally Posted by itazura
possibly a bracket like this....
holds both bolts with one piece bracket.

Last edited by //LRD; 03-23-09 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 11:30 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job to the OP, but use thicker hardware.

To anyone who thinks that you can't have cheap solutions,

My car has hockey puck motor mounts,
Ford Probe fans
Maxima power steering hose
and Honda Civic seats rails.

Cheap can equal quality.

Quick Reply: IS350 calipers on your SC